Character packs overpriced and not worth it.

Kresh42Kresh42 ✭✭✭

Hey all. Just wanted to throw my hat in the ring and give my critique regarding the recent Perpetua character packs. I was looking forward to the packs after buying the last ones and really liked the idea of pushing out via the store, even if that does mean no more load out codes to horde for emergencies. The one thing I do not approve of is the value of the kit for the price. For this I'll be using USD and assuming that the agent in question has 0 CMU and has to buy all the CMU to obtain the load out.

In the past, the load outs came with VR gear, and L8 bursters and resonators like most Anomaly packs. These however come with only common items and L1 resonators. While this is the norm for most xfac events to have a bundle like this, the pricing does not really reflect what you get. We're essentially paying what we did for the old rare packs but for less quality of gear. While I do want to support NIA, I really think that the balance of giving into players reactions to the L8 gear being sold was really knee-**** here. I get not having L8 gear up there all the time but for these big packs it should be. Even if the gear was a throw in, you're telling me that 1 character medal is 20 bucks but so is 30 SBUL from the last event, or that all 3 medals are worth 50? I really doubt that.

I will be voting with my wallet and not purchasing these packs. I really want to support Niantic but with price models like this I cannot justify it. We're getting into GTA levels of microtransactions right there.

Comments

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

Extreme high price in store and not balance.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

There are whales that will buy all 3 without even thinking about the price.

• While I agree they should be about $10 each for the badges, removing the additional elements from the pack was at the request of many player on the forums, because the last packs were complained about.

• and there are thousands of regular people that would purchase just the badges for $5 each... with no kit.

stack em high and sell em cheap

• grsmhikergrsmhiker ✭✭✭

I have no doubts that they analyze the price points carefully from a business standpoint. Decisions like doubling the price of frackers or changing the number of xmp in a store pack are weighed against the monetary returns that they generate. Sure some portion of the player base may get upset by a change, but what matters is whether it helps the bottom line.

For those who may not know, the term "whale" is used in the mobile gaming industry to refer a very tiny subset of players who spend insane amounts of money on In App Purchases. These are players who can spend thousands of dollars per month, and in some games the developers know who their whales are, what they purchase, and they frequently tweak their IAP offerings to target these specific individuals.