What should the next mini-Challenge be?

CliffMCliffM ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the mini challenges that have been paired with Anomaly series in the past - Via Lux Odyssey, Magnus Builder, Exo5 Controller, Cassandra Neutralizer, and the latest, Dark XM.

It seems like the player base has complaints about how they are designed, and the challenges as Niantic sets them out, because Niantic doesn't seem to understand game theory, and how players will try to deny members of the other faction a badge.

The first challenge they did, Via Lux Odyssey wasn't impacted terribly by other players, but there was a lot of confusion about what would get the top tier badge. The last challenge, Dark XM, was easier for rural players, comparatively to other challenges like Exo5.

What could Niantic do as the next challenge, that would not be impacted by other players, but would still be a "challenge"?

Comments

• I would love to see a traveller mini-Challenge, maybe aligned with global UPHs?

• OxterzoneOxterzone ✭✭✭

A challenge involving MU's or even a trekker challenge!

• CriminalBizzyCriminalBizzy ✭✭✭✭

The traveling one was the Via Lux Odyssey challenge.

• CriminalBizzyCriminalBizzy ✭✭✭✭

I think an interesting challenge would be a purifier challenge but with a twist. Something like "The portal network has become unstable due to a sudden surge in XM that it can't handle. There are to many portals that are online and it is currently adding to the issue of sustainability. Researchers believe that if both factions work together to bring the total amount of captured portals down it may give an opportunity to the portal network to heal and regain its strength." Sort of like an unintended consequence from the Dark XM challenge.

• xfac fielding would be good. Get people to work together regardless of faction.

• We need an OPR event.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

And then a portal in Antarctica became infected and you have 24h to reach it...

• @Hydraulinski 😂 challenge accepted!

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

Guess The Badge. Whoever guesses what the final artwork will be, gets to be disappointed and something worse shoved into their scanner.

• CliffMCliffM ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it would be cool to have a Easter egg hunt. Find ornamented portals and hack them. Depending on the rarity, set certain levels for bronze, silver, gold, as per usual. This would suck for Rural players, but I don't really know of a way to fix that. I suppose you could make it so that ornamented portals stay alive for a certain amount of time, so people could communicate them to others, and they could go hack them to get credit.

• CliffMCliffM ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

Repeat, due to moderated comment. Why is there no delete?

• A hacking challenge where you need to hack a number of ENEMY portals. It favors players in areas dominated by the opponents.

Possible issue is players flipping all their portals but it's their choice if they want to waste the ADA/Jarvis.

And increased damage taken from portal during the event! 😱

• PangarbanPangarban ✭✭✭✭✭

A builder/destroyer event in which you need to both destroy x amount of resonators as well as deploy x amount of resonators in order to get your medal.

To make it more interesting, there could be periods of Resistance being attackers and Enlightened being builders. Then at random points in time (between 2 and 4 hours) the challenge would flip and Enl would be the attackers while Res are the builders. The scanner would broadcast every flip of the challenge.

I think with this sort of challenge it would be impossible to deny the badge to the other side without denying it to yourself.

• VAINVAIN ✭✭✭✭

Shards? Global Shards. 😘 Come on @RedSoloCup you know we are overdue. Still waiting for global research nodes.

• liyu1liyu1 ✭✭✭

I'd love to have something (return) like create control fields, there was one in the past, but that was in the very beginning of my Ingress career.

• I would like to have Quests similar to Pogo for this purpose. Not just a time limited game action but a series of actions that promote activity, movement and teamwork. And that can't be blocked per se by the opposing faction. Similar to events in HPWU as well. I'm hoping we see new things like this with the planned server upgrades.

• An OPR event would really help clear the backlog.

edited June 2019

That's good. Freeze the submission for a week. Make like last event of dark xm and stipulates X amount of new portals to be created in that time.

Everyone will be happy. New portals for everyone, clean up that queue limbo, upgrades, new medal.

The medal could work bothways for recon and for submissions. Just don't know how to rewards lv10 or less. Maybe double AP or unique portal hunt during same time. Maybe bronze for capturing x unique, silver for have bronze+ y portals accepted and gold for having silver+ z opr agreements.

• docwho2100docwho2100 ✭✭✭

I like the quest activity as well. It fosters revisiting older activities and can be created so it is not impossible if in a rural area or 1 faction heavy area.

• liyu1liyu1 ✭✭✭

Not sure 'bout a glyph hacking challenge. Some people use glyph hack tools ...

• @liyu1 some people also spoof, so that excludes any challenge you can think of

• gagamickgagamick ✭✭✭

I like this idea even though I live in the countryside. An algorithm could certainly adapt the number of ornaments in cities to rural conditions. So the player in town has the same conditions as the player on the countryside