Aurora Glyph Hack Challenge

Comments

• Lots of ADA and Jarvis and plenty of time to play switching games with the portals..... only 12ish hours if they're promptly returning each time and have sufficient viruses for each one they want to do 😂

• yngemaryngemar ✭✭✭

Given that the event is spread out over 11 days, I think it would be helpful to remember that you don't have to sit and wait for cooldowns on individual portals to gain multiple points from a single portal.

If, like a lot of us, you visit many of the same portals each day, you can decide, "For the first three days, whenever possible, I'm going to hack at 1-sequence. For the next three days, I'm hacking them at 2-sequence. For the next three, I'm going to hack them at 3-sequence." After 9 days, take stock of where you are, and see how hard you'll have to push into new areas for those last 2 days in order to reach whatever goal you set for yourself.

Yes, you'll encounter situations where you hack sequence-levels that aren't on your "schedule" for that day, and it's probably not worth tracking your points and what you're missing from each individual portals, but adopting this general approach seems a lot less stressful to me.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait, what do you mean with "But you get to 1000 hacking the same 30 Portals over and over".

We don't need up to 200 portal (counting 5 sequences)? After a HS or the next the portal will give points again?

• I'm pretty sure @RedSoloCup mistyped and actually means "You don't get to 1000 hacking the same 30 Portals over and over".

• As terrible as I am currently at Glyph hacking, I may be able to manage if I visit around 500 L1 and L2 portals, could possibly manage some L3s as well. I'd be happy though to at least get the 100 participation badge.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

do we know what the medal looks like yet ?

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

Give the complaints over the design of the last two medals, Niantic probably doesn't want to show them yet.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

last medal they showed what it looked like before event started..

• DrThodDrThod ✭✭✭

@RedSoloCup I don't have the luxury of access to internal data. But I can do some educated assumptions and extrapolate from the only results which I have access to - the Myriad challenge.

Taking the Myriad value as my base value - and add fudge factors as best guess I actually just calculated 36.235 million points for Aurora. I will place all my assumptions as well as calculations on my blog ahead of the challenge - or at least ahead of the first result which will appear 12 hours after the challenge started.

The value of 13 million for Myriad was pretty off - I therefore was very sceptical you would be able to place an accurate value on this challenge - and that you might have gone for too high this time round. So either my assumptions are too optimistic (I erred on the more optimistic side) or 36 million is genius and we will just manage.

You can read how I calculate the 36.235 millions here: https://drthod.com/estimating-aurora-36-235-million-points/

This whole post might either be obsolte in 24 hours as my estimates are off - or it will be prophetic?

Well, I had fun writing it / calculating the numbers.

• WEZEWWEZEW ✭✭
    edited August 2019

We need to work together for this one. It will speed up getting local portals done first then head off to different locations. One faction destroys the other builds. Easiest way to do it.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

And so the fun begins.

• I can't find the stat. Successfully glyphed at 6 different portals, restarted the app (Prime and Redacted). The events section is still showing the old Myriad Uniques count and not this.

Anyone found it yet? Keeping track of it all myself is gonna be a *lot* of work.

• How do you check your individual status of event points ?

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

It's going to be very, very, very time consuming. Meh.

• It's turned up now. With a bonus 5 from somewhere.

• JosmanuJosmanu ✭✭✭

can someone explain me what i need to do for get this gold medal? i just go around and glyph portals? but then i read i need to hack five times, i dont understand this i get confused

• Less then half the goal for the first measurement isn’t a good a start.

• KatthKatth ✭✭✭

It's not only time consuming (it took us 2,5h and walking 4 laps of 50 portals to get 200 points), but it's also incredibly boring! As soon as you have your portals upgraded fully and fully deployed you are constantly recycling items to be able to glyph hack the next portal.

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

I got 177 today without really trying. I only gave up because it's bitterly cold where I am and my fingers got too cold to glyph.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

yikes.. that is so much lower then i thought.. i thought we would easy be over the goal...

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't worry, they will Calvinball it as usual.

• There should some kind of marker on the portal menu to know weather a glyph sentence was completed or not. This ways it will soon become a "trial an error" kind of challenge. A simple way would be five dots at the top of the screen. Each dot represents a glyph sentence. if it was a succesful hack, it would be a green, if not, it would be a red dot.

• MaliciousWolfMaliciousWolf ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

@drLacko

The way I kept track of what portals I glyph hacked or not was by finding clusters of neutral portals I did not have keys for and hacking those for keys. When I wasn't sure if I hacked a particular neutral portal or not, I would just check and see if I had a key for it. I then would recycle to the start of my route and capture and level the same portals to L2, and then glyph hack them. I knew all captured L2 portals then on my scanner were already hacked by me, so I focused on upgrading all the neutral portals to L2 from there. Finally, I am terrible at glyph hacking, and a few hours had already passed for around 80 hacks, so I went back to my car and left, but if I would have continued the process I would have then looked for and upgraded portals that were L2 to L3 before hacking them to continue to keep track of my progress.

I'll be happy to get bronze by the time the event ends, there is a chance I could get silver, but that would require two full days of nothing but tracking down clusters of portals and hacking them twice each at my current skill level, with the occasional L3 if I want to stick around and try it before otherwise moving on to the next cluster.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I got two point by hacking a lv8 portal (the 2 I got).

Was this a bug or they updated the points for 5 sequences of glyphs? Can somebody else confirm this?

• @Hydraulinski you might have gotten a point last week when the event was live for a short while.

• I think this requirement is too high. doing L1+L2 glyph hack and moving to another portal takes 1,5 minutes on average, and you need 500 portals. thich means more then 12 hours of lgyph hacking low level portals and then removal of farmed items. good thing of this challenge is, that most of us wont get low medal by accident, so I dont mind, its easy to ignore this challenge. if challenge was do 15k glyph points, I would probably do it, but this ? not interested.

• How do I know how many aurora points I have if I'm still below 100 glyph hacks?

• NineBerryNineBerry ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a statistic in the scanner in the "events" group.

• Me: Planning summer vacation

Niantic: Let's give them an event in the middle of August.

Me: ...