Niantic! Write clear conditions that are necessary to enable the overclock function on the portal.

GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2023 in General

Greetings. I have a portal that I scanned 10 times and enabled VPS in the official wayfarer app. But the game keeps telling me that the portal needs to be scanned a few more times to enable the overclock function. Dear developers, please give a clear algorithm for enabling the offerclock, indicating the specific number of scans and so on.

Post edited by GreenVam on
Tagged:

Comments

• I believe the number of required scans depends on the quality of the scans and also on the geometry of the object.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's VPS activated, its activation on Ingress isn't immediate. It might take a few hours or up to a day from what I've been reading from other agents.

• MargariteDVilleMargariteDVille ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023

I don't think there's anything automatic about it. And we can't activate them ourselves.

Niantic did not automatically enable overclock on portals with enough scans.

I used the Niantic Wayarer app to VPS Activate 46 wayspots, each with 10-109 scans each. Eight got the "Activation failed" email, and 38 got "Activated". However, all of the 38 with successful emails have "Localizability: Fair" so are not overclock enabled - 2-3 days after the email.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Use the mesh scanning feature.

Ensure the target portal has a good mesh, and that it has the surrounding ground adequately scanned at the same time.

Do not scan just the ground

Do not scan just the portal

The point cloud scanning is also useful as well as the server amalgamtes point clouds and RT meshes together.

edited June 2023

I think a portal could have 1000 fantastic scans, and not become Overclock enabled.

I don't believe there's any automated process to pick up portals that have scans. Niantic released this without anything in place to make it happen.

I think that when you try to manually enable them, it'll only get "Fair", so it will never become enabled.

In 2022, Niantic hired "surveyors" to go scan lots of Wayspots in "six key cities" Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, New York City, London, and Tokyo. So if you have overclock in those places, it is NOT from agents (or trainers) scans.

If you know of an Overlock-enabled portal, please go to it in the Niantic Wayfarer app and see WHEN it was enabled.

Someone tell me they scanned a portal AND GOT IT TO OVERCLOCK. In June, 2023 or after.

ETA: The scanning initiative is explained here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDRR_RRNgzc&list=PLCyCMgj5D_z7rtq_6UamxxgMNNvEjoulK&index=2

Post edited by MargariteDVille on
  • I have activated a few (scans were done prior, not by me) and only 2 have been set to production/good localizability.

The rest is stuck in fair.

Cool!

Activated, how? With the Niantic Wayfarer app? Or did you ask the help chat or something?

• XQlusioNXQlusioN ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023

The Wayfarer app.

Pressed the activate button, 3 hours later got mail activation was a success.

Checked, was fair, after about 6 hours 2 changed to good (and showed up in Ingress), rest still fair.

So it either isn't automated, or the criteria is very strict

So the Wayfarer app isn't for just developers anymore. It's critical for gamers (agents) to use it to make this well-advertised feature work in their game.

From June 3-7, I used the Wayfarer app to activate 78 wayspots with 10-120 scans, in several malls and parks.

• 58 got the "Activated" email (in 3-48 hours)
    • 19 got the "Activation failed" email (in 3-48 hours)

Now ALL 58 activated Wayspots show on this map as "Experimental" https://lightship.dev/account/dashboard?map=true

On the Niantic Wayfarer app, ALL 58 active activated show as "VPS-Activated" with Localizability: Fair".

None are available for overclock hack.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Activation is for VPS enabled.

The overclock requires for Localizability to say Good.

I'm trying to see if meshing enabled scans is what they mean by "high quality" scans because of this information blip:

If so, I don't think I ever had a successful scan with meshing.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

15 scans and no effect. Do you think it might be better to write about this in the forum section about game errors? Because I see that no one reads this section.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed, the bug reports section get immediately applied to the Ingress team's ticketing system