PRIME vs REDACTED

Comments

• Haven't found anything "good" on Prime yet. The graphics are ok'ish however they are also the reason why Prime is so much slower then redacted. Also the graphics in redacted are cooler more like something a spy would use in Prime they are more cartoonish or garish. Redacted also has more features that aren't in Prime and Niantic isn't saying if they will ever make it into Prime. Where's the radar in Prime to show near by portal's? That feature was a have to have not to long ago.

• CliffMCliffM ✭✭✭✭✭

I love doing Missions in Prime. I like being able to see the mission name, the waypoint I'm on, how far in meters the next waypoint is (not rounded to 5m increments), and the fact it brings up the mission list at the conclusion of a mission.

Linking is also pretty awesome. I love the speed you can spam links, and the fact that the link dialog stays up after you make a link so it doesn't have to "recalculate" links.

• GlenuendoGlenuendo ✭✭✭✭

I went out and played for an hour or so fielding. Prime would usually freeze up on me but it didn't this time. It was smoother. That did make me happy. I know Redacted will go away so I'm trying to force myself to use Prime more and more. Only thing is glyphing. It must be muscle memory or something because I'm so much worse on Prime. 🤷‍♂️

• I enjoyed doing missions in Prime.

• @King0fHearts I'm sorry to hear you haven't found anything you like in Prime. I agree, there's a lot to like about Redacted and I think the team did very well with it. There's a high bar for us to meet! You specifically asked about the "nearby" Portal feature -- this is something the team is about to start working on soon, so it is coming. As for other features: no, we haven't formally commented on whether every piece or function will be in Prime that was in Redacted. There are a few reasons for this: first, honestly, we may not have decided yet (there are lots of high priority bugs and other things to do first); second, we may want to improve something rather than implement it the same; three, it may depend on player feedback, which is why this community will be really helpful to gauge what is worth doing. That said, we will be working on a roadmap for later this year so that everyone can be aware of some of the major things to come.

• ZennZenn ✭✭✭✭

the linking on prime... is just so much faster. if you machine gun fields, prime is the way to go.

• Prime is visual game regression.

• Regarding features, sure, prime did a great lot of advancements, like one finger rotate and things, it's really getting better.

But, I don't know if it's something about the engine, Prime literately doesn't "catch my finger", I'm not saying it's not smooth, but you can always feel a lag between your action and the response, which can be really frustrating. Back in scanner when you touch you get instant feedback, it makes repeated actions, like recharge, really smooth and satisfying. I'm quite sure it has nothing to do with my device, hopefully you'll improve it and make me switch to Prime, instead of just stops scanner.

• TomWitTomWit ✭✭

Prime has a decent uninstall function. Realy, it works flawlessly.

• I think it's awful. Haven't found anything I like about it yet.

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

For me main problems are :

- it is too blue for enl agent, why glyphs and burst wave should be blue for an enlightened agent ?

- inventory management is a mess, especially for keys

- filling up to full a capsule by one click is missing

Otherwise I like prime

• I have never played redacted, only Prime. And so far I am really liking Prime. Graphics look much better, the one finger rotating makes it easy to hack a few portals quick when you are driving home. I like that you have a quick 'key hack' and quick 'no key hack'. They are finally catching up with features like portal submissions. And also here I like the supporting photo to review, much easier than without in a lot of cases!

The inventory is also easier imho, faster, recycling is faster, recharging is easier. Managing your inventory is easier!

What I miss in Prime: some stats/options from redacted like: number of incoming/outgoing links, adding portal pictures, change locations of portals or report 'bad' portals.

My biggest dislike about Prime: STABILITY!!!!!!! I cannot stress this enough. I totally did not mind that I have to close and reload prime every now and then. However, it is sometimes too much. And especially during certain moments ( like FS or Anomalies ) Prime becomes a burden. And in case of an anomaly: unplayable. When you have to restart at least 4 times in a 2 hour window... ( FS ) or when you are unable to play for most of the Anomaly.. You prepare for the anomaly, hoarding, not playing a lot the days before. You feel like you let your team down just because you were only able to play for 20mins, maybe half an hour and for the rest you could only restart prime and MAYBE after 2 minutes when it loaded, hack a portal..

All in all it is also slower than redacted, which makes it sometimes more difficult to play. When you ultrastrike ( lvl 8 ) a resonator and you don't get it down because the defender is able to recharge even when you 'spam' ultrastrikes.. you know something is up!

My advice to Niantic: Focus on stability and speed.

Nice to haves on the long run: More inventory or special lockers for certain items, 2000 just isn't enough, especially when you are somewhat in between a rural and city player and also when you like to participate in FS and Anomalies etc.. Different weapons or other special features ( a Bomb or something that is very very rare.. ) Upgrade portal mod limit, ... more mods maybe..

A third faction would be nice as well. Or at least faster portal decay when you detect the area is flooded with agents of one team. It gets pretty boring in the WIDE area I play in because of the lack of players of the different faction. And since one of the badges is recharging, you'll always have people recharging somehow.

• The ancient game framework called “libGDX” is used by old Ingress (a.k.a. “Scanner [REDACTED]”). The word “ancient” means libGDX is truly redacted, for the latest version is released in 3 years ago, and it can't be used in modern operating system anymore in the theory. Niantic force the framework work on iOS 12 and Android 8.0 with a considerable cost.

That's why Niantic want to release Ingress Prime as soon as possible, even Ingress Prime is still un-stable. libGDX will continually cost Niantic, for time and resource, if they want to maintenance “REDACTED”.

But... There is so many bugs in Prime. There isn't so much time til September!

• PurkkaKoodariPurkkaKoodari ✭✭
    edited June 2019

I have really liked the new stuff in Prime: inventory management, capsule renaming, chat separate from activity. I also really like the new look and how the menus have swipe shortcuts and no scrolling of the tabs like in Redacted.

However, all the stuff that's broken is bugging me:

- Especially after moving fast (car, public transport, GPS glitch) I can't hack a portal, I just get the red brackets with no message. Restart doesn't fix, only waiting for several minutes or hacking in Redacted.

- No passcode input. Do I really need to open Redacted for this?

- Hack output info boxes stay on top of the portal UI and "steal" touches. Very irritating and sometimes even causes to skip a glyph hack.

- Sometimes (especially when managing capsules) the Manage button just disappears. Takes a restart to get it back.

- Sometimes linkable portals are missing in the link view. Using Redacted allows the link.

- Glyphing doesn't feel the same. I find myself always hitting the center node when drawing PORTAL. I'm sure this is something I'll get use to eventually.

And finally, one minor feature I'd really like to see is a "add all of this item to the capsule but not the next items" button. Would be much nicer than manually adding 80 XMPs to capsule (or tapping the quick fill and then removing ultra strikes).

• The startup time is so slow that it gives me time to think about my life... -_-

• The performance and smoothness of Prime still worse than redacted scanner. But I can feel that Prime scanner becomes better every new version.

I am current use Prime to recycle and recharging and would totally change to use Prime if the navigation feature is back.

• @NianticScot

My phone is an average priced model sold in a very average first world country, however as an Australian I can say that the average coverage and internet speed here may play into it.

With all due respect, I'm definately not alone in my problem (see post above). I understand that the devs would naturally create builds for future generations of phones rather than current models - a choice I see as natural in the long run - however I doubt those same devs regularly test the same code with the same models of phones as their "target audience" use. That is "if" the devs don't recognise the brilliance of Ingress itself, that it appeals to multigenerational players.

• GobiasGobias ✭✭✭

I've been strictly playing Prime since I got access, and am mostly happy and grateful for the usability enhancements.

Main remaining issues for me:

* Compass - Really happy to see its on the agenda. Doesn't really matter for day-to-day gameplay in familiar areas, but has been a pain when trying to orient myself and play in recent travels.

* RAM Use - Not sure that this is completely Prime specifically, it might also be partially attributable to the Android Pie upgrade (happened around the same time), A year ago I could switch between Ingress and PoGo with no problems whatsoever - I could even be playing Spotify over Bluetooth and flicking to Slack and Messenger and Firefox as I'd please. Today, the stars have to align for me to have both loaded at the same time, and switching to any third app somehow ensures that both get killed in the background. It's not just PoGo either, if I pick up my phone and the very last thing I did with it wasn't Ingress, chances are it's been killed and needs a restart. That wouldn't be as big a problem if we didn't also have:

* Start Up Times - Pair that with the above, and where in the past I'd be playing along just about anywhere I walk, these days I find that I can't be bothered. If I didn't stop and wait for the game to load so that I could deploy on this portal, I'd be 150m closer to home.

* Profile Sharing - Please bring back a mechanism to upload, so that I don't need to keep Redacted on my phone for Ingress Stats.

• innstinctinnstinct ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

@NianticScot Dear Niantic please adjust the graphics on the device Xiaomi mi 8 pro. On a similar device, only a smaller model Xiaomi mi 8 - graphics are great, and on my xiaomi mi 8 pro graphics are bad despite the fact that it is more powerful than the usual mi 8

• M4NDR4M4NDR4 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

@PurkkaKoodari the passcode input is at the end of the store for prime scanners, but a good idea maybe to put on iOS device too

• I would say that the feature i most like is the fast linking/skip animation.

I love to see when tons of links goes out.

• If Prime can somehow open up the remote recharge view within 20s of clicking the key and not freeze the game every other key I try to recharge, it would be awesome.

• Challenge Accepted.

Recycling and charging are better.

End of list

• DigitalisDigitalis ✭✭✭

@M4NDR4 due to apple licensing issues there will never be a passcode option in app for apple users.

passcode entry was re-added to the ingress intel map in response to this issue.

• Patka07Patka07 ✭✭✭✭

I enjoy violet-ish colours in Prime, that is one of my favourite colours:)

• KorzhakKorzhak ✭✭✭✭✭

Completely agree with @icecrEEEEEam - there's no reason at all I should be getting input lag when scrolling on a phone where Redacted has no issues, and even less excuse when the phone is a 2019 flagship device!

• I can't rightly say what's good or bad about Prime as I haven't really used it at all.

When the ability to use Redacted is gone, I'm not sure that I won't be.

• kelterkelter ✭✭

prime sux :) i tried multiple times to get going on prime but the overall graphics of the scanner app annoys the **** out of me...

• kelterkelter ✭✭

prime sux, i tried multiple times to get going on prime but the overall graphics of the scanner app

• @kelter could you please rephrase this in a language related to English?

My interpretation of your post was "I don't like Ingress Prime, I tried to go somewhere but I dislike the application". I'm not sure if you understand the app itself doesn't magically teleport you or not. Are you saying the app doesn't "go" as in it doesn't work (or load)? Did you type something into the forum and have a stroke half way?