Feature request add option to turn off link and fields in app

LavaspikesfanLavaspikesfan ✭✭
edited October 2022 in General

Please can you add setting to turn off link and fields off while using app Please and it helps the people low eyesight so Please add the new feature Please

Tagged:

Comments

• Hi there

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

There is a setting to up the contrast.

However, for links and fields to be off, kinda defeats their purpose

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

I have issues seeing things that are under fields, and lighting dynamics doesn't help a lot. I would love to temporarily be able to turn off the rendering of fields to make it easier to see things like unique caps. When I'm hunting unique caps I zoom out as far as possible and it's hard to tell at that zoom level whether a portal is grey or the color of the field.

• Permanent features to turn off and on link and field in the app

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Or perhaps, an option, where there eis multi layers fields to just render 1 layer instead of 4?

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@Perringaiden That seems like a stretch, to put it politely.

For me hiding fields would sometimes increase the drive to play because it would remove a significant impediment to my doing so. Let's say that, completely hypothetically, I flew to a town in Switzerland for 48 hours and was interested in wandering around the old city center, exploring, and capturing uniques. I'm unlikely to go five or ten or fifty kilometers away from the area to take down a field because I don't have transportation and don't want to waste part of my trip doing that, and I'm certainly not going to go do it to take down friendly fields just so that I can see the playfield more easily. I am, however, much more likely to miss opportunities to capture unique portals because they're difficult for me to see.

Here's my favorite hypothetical photo from Bern taken exactly two weeks ago today, captured as I was walking from old town to see the opera that I flew over for. (Look carefully and you'll spot a swimmer treating the fast-flowing Aare as an endless pool, swimming constantly upstream as he floats rapidly downstream.)

• edited October 2022

Sure but you're not a new player. You're old. The difference is that Niantic doesn't want to encourage old players, because old players have already proven that no matter how bad the software is, you'll keep playing.

They are attempting to build the playerbase, and the initial activity of any new player is building fields, capturing territory, then getting motivated when someone destroys their stuff. Hiding the fields and links will not help that because they won't see a blue field over their green avatar and go "I need to fix that".

Stop putting yourself into the center of their design goals. "We" (old players) are not their focus, no should we really be, because we've already proven we won't quit.

When the choice is to do one feature or another feature, the focus will (and should) always be "Will this attract and retain new players". Whichever feature does that better will take priority. If Niantic had unlimited resources, we could get all the "optional niche features" we want, but they don't and never will.

Provding this option would not help new players, and would detract development time from attracting and retaining new players.

I am, however, much more likely to miss opportunities to capture unique portals because they're difficult for me to see.

This is a stretch, because you, as an experienced player, know exactly how to spot portals and review portal areas in the Intel map. If you don't... you really should learn.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@Perringaiden Yep, you're right. I'm old. That means I'm more likely to have figured out how to work around the most annoying parts of Ingress, and I'm more tolerant of the... challenges to playing. A new player is less likely to have either the patience or the workarounds for the things that annoy them while playing. That is an excellent point.

Oh wait, you said that new players are more likely to stick around because of designs that frustrate them and make it harder to play? That seems like quite a logical stretch to me.

• Except the thing you want is not what frustrates new players... That's the point. New players aren't trying to avoid making or destroying fields in favour of searching out uniques. While this change might be useful to you, it isn't an activity players really start to do until they get beyond the early game, and Niantic needs to do an absolute brown-load of work to make the game better for new players before they worry about keeping old players who won't leave ... from leaving.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@Perringaiden You're ascribing motivations to Niantic that I see no evidence of. It's cute, but it's not a particularly strong rhetorical technique.

I've heard both new and old players complain that it's hard to see things when they're under a field. It's just common sense that new players will be more frustrated by this than experienced players who are a) already dedicated to the game, and b) know more techniques for working around the frustration.

• "It's just common sense" is a phrase you use a lot without indicating any actual common sense.

Regardless, you can disagree all you like, but I'm fairly sure that either Niantic won't implement this in favour of things like fixing the tutorial, or if they do... it'll confirm that they have lost their way in making the game recover from the four year slump since Prime was released.

There are far bigger fish to fry, in terms of usability and playability. They can't even fix the cube use button to explode the animation in the right place.

However, as evidence by the "Nah, they'd never allow people to make links under fields", it's necessary to always respond to these "highly unlikely" and wasteful requests with clear reasons why they're bad, to avoid Niantic thinking there's complete support for them.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022

Fixing the tutorial?  Haven't they been working on that for months (or is it years)?  You know they are busy working on something else that no one wants, or needs.  The lagg issue maybe?  Nahh... I'm sure it's some new scanning "feature"?  Or a fix for that Blank Map Issue?  Or a fix for the fracks not giving out gear when glyphing?

Or maybe they might want to work on whatever is consistently causing the different types of capsules to duplicate, or the kinetic capsules to stop working?

• So they have a few things 'more important' than hiding fields on the scanner.

• New players need badges to level up, and unique visits/captures is a nice way to get them. When I was a newbie, I was completely obsessed with fields because I wanted the black illu.

• edited October 2022

By level 13, where the Gold badgelocking really starts, you should have a good ability to see uncaptured portals in the scanner, especially with the maker layers putting big red circles around them (or not). Some people just like to describe cases that are more relevant to the Classic scanner and it's lack of new features.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Just like your post. You shouldn't be badge locked with the availability of so many different medals.

• Hiding links/fields is a solution that doesn't really solve the main issue (same as linking under fields was a solution that doesn't fix the main issue).

Making portals better visible in any situation is the better solution.

• These days "Badgelocking" refers to the concept that you have enough AP for the next level, but not enough badges. Not the issue at level 15 where the only way to level was Guardian + Recharger. Yes there are plenty of badges, and if you actively choose to play in all those different styles to cover them, you can level. My point was that that's really only an issue once you get to level 12 or 13, by which time you should be a competent user of the interface which has big honking circles for Uniques.