why i am getting one portal key per hack

when have a portal key in my inventory when hack the same portal when i got my portal key and the portal wont give a another portal key until i put the portal key in the key locker for another portal key from the same portal and in June 2021 the portal used to give me a lot keys from same portal without having to put the keys in the key locker and tell me why only one key per hack from the same portal

Tagged:

Comments

• You have to hack using the hack with key button ( or glyph hack) to get more keys if you already have one.

You are either just normal hacking or using the "hack, no key" button

• Note that if you have a Key for this Portal in your main inventory , then a Tap-Hack will never give you an additional one.

• VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

I've noticed the hack for key option very rarely gives a key. You have to capsule the keys to have a chance at getting more keys. Glyphing for keys works but not the swipe for key option. Is extremely rare it ever gives a key. I've noticed it for a while now.

• I think part of that is how easy it is to accidentally hit "No Key" when trying for "Hack Key".

They really should have laid it out it better and had

• North - Glyph
    • East - Hack No Key
    • West - Hack Key
  • CrepitusOzCrepitusOz ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022

The best way to get extra keys is to glyph hack and use the “more” ^ glyph as soon as the glyph grid appears, in order to request keys.

You can then get the base 0 or 1 keys and an additional 0-3 keys, even if you have that key in your inventory. Better glyphing more chance of more keys.

Note that getting 0 keys in a hack is still possible and way more common than getting 4, which is like spotting a 🦄

There are a few YouTube vids around showing how, search for something like: hack more keys ingress

• TheKingEngineTheKingEngine ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, that's a design. "Hack with Key" function will have much lower chance to get the key, comparing with normal Hack w/o existing key in the inventory.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

Save your first hack of the day from the portal you need the most. Of course, there is always an easy mode to have more keys such as duplicating it using QCs. Niantic should have included the key duplication in the agent tutorial so newbies can benefit from it.

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

There are two "hack with key" options (not counting glyph hack which has a third method). One is to long press the portal on the scanner screen and swipe northwest to the icon that pops up. This for me works at the expected RNG frequency (somewhere between 3/4 and 4/5 although obviously the RNG will spite you if you really wanted the key). The other is to swipe northnortheast on the Hack button. This method I find very unreliable and only gives me a key once in three or four hacks. I attribute this to accidentally selecting the 'no key' option which is right next to it (as @Perringaiden says). I'm sure I posted about that not long after they introduced the option, but it might have been back in G+ or Reddit days so chances of re-finding that comment are slim.

I won't actually "attribute this to accidentally selecting the 'no key' option which is right next to it".

Do a simple test by carefully clicking "Hack with key" here when you DON'T actually have the key in your inventory and you instantly would find something weird. Even if you don't have existing key, the "Hack with key" will provide much lower chance for you to get the key, comparing with direct Hacking. And this is IRRELEVANT to the button next to it.

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not irrelevant because maybe a game bug is making it much easier to select "no key" than it should be. For instance, perhaps the hit-boxes are unbalanced.

Anyway, which button? Are you talking about the one just above the big hack button (in which case "no key" is right next to it) or the one that you get by long-pressing the portal on the scanner screen (in which case I disagree that it gives fewer keys)?

The one just above the big hack button. As I mentioned, a simple, reproducible maual test (when you DON'T actually have the key in your inventory) could instantly provide intuitive user experience for the fact the chance is slim to get keys via this. It's obviously irrelevant to"accidentally hit "No Key" when trying for "Hack Key".

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

The fact that you don't get a key when there's none already in your inventory is exactly what proves that you executed the "no key" hack instead of the "with key" hack.

• Not necessarily, a key is never guaranteed...

But the hitboxes above the big hack button are not where they should be...

I tend to slide straight up for hack with key instead of slightly to the right.

• Each "Key Hack Chance" is only about 75% likely to give you a key. So if you hack with key and don't get one, you didn't do No Key, you just got your 1 in 4 no key returned.

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes yes, I said that in the first post above. We're talking (as described by TheKingEngine) about a statistically lower chance to get a key, not just a single hack. I was using a simplification for better clarity (which clearly didn't work).

(Also, at some point in the recent past there was an event where Niantic guaranteed a key from each hack-with-no-key-in-inventory or hack-with-key-command. Even then, swiping the hack-with-key command from the big hack button didn't guarantee a key, for the reasons described in this thread.)

• edited October 2022

This is the standard case (Niantic events notwithstanding):

All "statistical chances" you have to get a key are the same. There's not a "statstically lower chance" option. Think of it like "Binary Rolls".

• If you don't have a key and use a normal tap hack, or don't indicate a More or Less on a Glyph Hack, you have 1 roll.
    • If you have a key and use a normal tap hack, or don't indicate a More on a Glyph Hack, you have 0 rolls.
    • If you indicate Less on a Glyph Hack, you have 0 rolls.
    • If you use "Hack No Key", you have 0 rolls.
    • If you use "Hack with Key" (with or without a key), you have 1 roll.
    • If you use More on a Glyph Hack, you have 1 roll if you have no key, and between 0 and 4 *extra rolls* depending on your glyphing result.

Afterwards, tally up the number of rolls, then perform each roll. Each roll gives a 75% chance for 1 key, binary result independently determined of each other (get key or no key).

The above is why this statement is incorrect (and @TheKingEngine is wrong).

edited October 2022

Maybe you would like to personally do it 10 times before making this assertion, or 100 times to make it accurate enough. The "statistically lower chance" when doing "Hack with key" is real comparing with normal hacking w/o key, and it could be irrelevant to wrongly touching "No-key".

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

And if you use "hack with key" 50% of the time and "hack no key" the other 50%, but you don't know which one you've selected, you get 0.5 rolls.

This is why, if you observe a statistically lower chance to get a key, it probably means that sometimes you are accidentally invoking "hack no key" without intending to. You even said this yourself on Oct 7. I don't know why this is so difficult to understand...

edited October 2022

Maybe you would like to personally do it 10 times before making this assertion that I am wrong, or 100 times to make it accurate enough. The "statistically lower chance" when doing "Hack with key" is real comparing with normal hacking w/o key, and it could be irrelevant to wrongly touching "No-key".

I, however, would not do it for you. I've done it in the past leading to my conclusion and I'm very sure that even if I made this experiment again and prove that you are wrong, you would simply ignore this thread and walk away like always.

Record the screen by enabling showing "touch" history, when you do the manual test as I mentioned. By doing this, everyone can see that the lower chance is irrelevant to "hack no key" because you are actually 100% pressing "hack with key".

I don't know why this is so difficult to understand for you and you would insist that normal people with normal hands would do a 50:50 unstable hacking ALL THE TIME even if they are doing it carefully. We players generally have sharp eyes.

• edited October 2022

I regularly use Hack with Key while walking because I can't be bothered to put keys in capsules, or glyph hack. It's 75%. I've done it FAR more than 10 times...

Sure, it's a bad UI. The chance of Hack With Key is 75% though. Unuccessfully hitting that button may make your "effective chance" lower, but if you do it right (which you can with a bit of practice) it's not lower in and of itself.

My solution has been to lean more towards the Glyph Hack so that if I fail to hit the With Key, I can get it from a Glyph.