Superposition Anomaly Medal (what the...?)

Comments

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent compromise, but nia might be too lazy to try that.

Medal for anyone with 10bb interactions is as lazy as they could be.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

after umbra 2019 it was clear that the number of anomalies was gonna be heavy reduced but i still think just 1 big anomaly in europe is not enough, not everyone can afford or want travel due to the costs and other stuff in the way kids work etc....

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem with this is the fact that the opposition might ignore another agents battle beacon, because “they might score”.

I really don’t understand the logic, but it’s a real tactic here: “if I don’t play, you can’t play either”.

• ChiisaiKumaChiisaiKuma ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

• Since the forum doesn't accept longer posts, split up in three parts. Part 2:

Flaw 2: No Elite Boss reward

Ever game has challenges that are difficult to overcome, and those challenges are usually rewarding. In MMORPG’s those are often a huge elite boss or dragon that needs to be killed, most likely with a group of players and a mix of skillsets needed. The reward is for instance a unique sword/ item or a unique skill, and it shows to all other players what you have achieved. Yes, status is part of games. And pride! 

The equivalent in Ingress are badges. There are many elements in which agents can show their skill, but most are progress based and not event based: adding more mu or hacks will “up” the badge towards black. There are several event-based badges, but there is only one that is comparable to killing the elite boss dragon. And that is the anomaly badge. 

There are many drivers for agents to join an event, or join to battle and elite boss. Working together, strategic planning, testing skills, etc. And in case of an anomaly, all the added events like Goruck or the party. But…. There still needs to be a reward for killing the elite boss. Without that, basic gameplay rules that have been researched for decades now, are ignored. 

The badge that can be obtained for battling in the anomaly is now easy to be obtained by ****: putting 10 battle beacons on the neighborhood portals and interact. This inflation of reward, and the inflation of status and pride is ignoring every aspect of good game design. 

Niantic has moved in the direction of making every small BB event or deploying 10 BB’s comparable to killing the elite boss, calling at an anomaly and rewarding with the same badge. And that movement is just wrong from a game design perspective. **** (deploying 20 BB’s) is not comparable to a small boss (local small BB event) and certainly not to killing the elite boss (anomaly). There is no problem with funding game mechanics that earn Niantic money; there is a problem with ignoring fundamental game design criteria. 

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Pffff. Well then; these won't ever be a viable anomaly minigame addon then.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Founders union? Why aren’t they vocal about the game performance the past 1,5 years?

Anomaly is “gameplay that deviates from normal day to day”. So deploying Bb’a technically is an anomaly. It’s just not what the community wants, but niantic won’t care or change up; both coming anomaly badges can be obtained by buying Bb’s

• One site won't need people from all over the world to recharge when noone is on the ground anyways, if one wants an Anomaly badge go there- oh wait no throw a beacon🤪. RR was always only second choice. And never secured for a badge. There are special badges only travellers get and that's a good thing. Makes for a special event and that's what everyone expected of Munich... Especially after waiting for 2 years, now...

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

Agents often assume that an anomaly medal means that you did something "worthy" of it, but in 8+ years, Niantic has never* actually required anything like that. For example:

• Shonin - Someone put my name on a list, handed the list to Niantic, and I got the medal. I have a story to tell that I'm rather fond of, but Niantic didn't check for that.
    • Myriad - I literally could have left home, walked down the street to an anomaly playbox, hacked 13(?) portals, walked back home, and received the medal. I did a bit more than that, considering it was a hometown anomaly, but the requirement for the medal was a few hacks in the playbox.

This is not to mention all the intervening anomalies where all someone had to do was show up and get a (free) ticket scanned or hack a "registration" portal or something else similarly trivial.

*At one point, Niantic started measuring and requiring a minimum amount of XM recharged for recharge room participants, rather than simply accepting an alleged list of attendees.

• XK150XK150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because the Founders Union is a made-up thing that only exists in @joecain's head.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

You think so? lol I think I'm stating the obvious because I've seen a TON of threads where people are super worried about their profiles and what's on them.

You really think I'm insecure because I see "value" in what a medal means?!?!? That someone is able to say, hey, I was there! Quite the assumption, but if that's what you're reading, so be it...