[Feature Request] Profile Breakup

There's been lots of discussion in many posts about the fact that with all the new medals, the profile is getting large and unwieldy for many people. Another common complaint is that gameplay medals are being lost in the guff.

There's been many suggestions, but the one that most appeals to me personally, is using the same layout format as missions, for all the tiered, anomaly and paid medals, distinct from gameplay medals. So rather than rehash the description, I figured I'd mock something up.

(Note: Yes, there are alignment issues, on my "Eyeball layout". I don't have leet photoshop skills, so sue me. 😁)

The idea is that non-gameplay medals would be collapsed except for when people want to see them. All medals would still be sorted by the date of acquisition, but broken up into relevant categories.

Gameplay Medals

These would be the core medals that everyone gets, day to day, without special events or paid options. The 'long haul' medals that take months or years to complete for the average player, and are primarily used in the levelling process.

Anomaly Medals

Similarly to how they're currently put first in the medal list completely, anomaly medals would fall under the first collapsed category, showing the past events that an Agent attended.

Tiered Event Medals

For events where there's a challenge element or participation requirement, these medals would be next representing the effort requirement for them. The general 3 tier events, plus the yearly 5-tier medals would all appear here.

Paid/Non-Tiered Medals

These would be the rest of the medals, including the "Face Badges", seasonal medals, and any other 'specialty medals' like Tessellation Paragon.

Missions

Like before, Missions would appear at the bottom of the medal section, collapsible to the last 6 missions.

Statistics

The rest of the profile would appear like normal with Statistics following on. (Also when Private Stats is enabled, the headers should disappear 😉)

Tagged:

Comments

• PixelbytesPixelbytes ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

Alternatively, agents can choose to select a few of their favourite medals on their profile page to be pin at the top row of their profile.

For other medals they can hide the rest of the medals mission style and if other agents want to see more of it, they can click the button.

For example: I might want to put the nemesis anomaly series medal together with the nemesis challenge together in a profile

Also, it will be nice if we can bring our medals in the forums as well?

• Alternatively, agents can choose to select a few of their favourite medals on their profile page to be pin at the top row of their profile. For other medals they can hide the rest of the medals mission style and if other agents want to see more of it, they can click the button. For example: I might want to put the nemesis anomaly series medal together with the nemesis challenge together in a profile

This is a far reaching redesign of the profile system, not a tidy up of what we have.

Also, it will be nice if we can bring our medals in the forums as well?

I'm surprised they haven't made a link to our in-game profile from our Agent profile page on the community, but drawing the actual profile on a webpage would be a completely separate thing (which I did ask for here)

• TooLegitToExistTooLegitToExist ✭✭✭✭

@NianticBrian please, not that hard to categorize all these badges & break up the profile into categories. Remember when kythera badge first come in, it was incorrectlly grouped with all other badges instead of higher priority, i am sure it can be easily rewritten a bit for categorization

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm all for a clean up of the profile like this, but only if it's an option. I like my mess of a profile and would hate it if it got broken up into categories like above.

• iFrankmansiFrankmans ✭✭✭✭

I am totally up for this, but it should be optional.

And the sections should still show all medals as it is currently done.

I personally do not even see the need for the lines between medals just order them consecutively as now.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

i like this. I would also love the option to open my profile only to friends. So many people with hidden stats; and it’s no fun :D

• kiloecholimakiloecholima ✭✭✭✭✭

For my taste, I wouldn't want this much of a breakdown. I like having anomalies at the top; and event/yearly medals intertwined with the core gameplay badges since it tells a chronological story, but I also really want to put the store/character badges into a category like this above. Having the option to choose which categories get sorted and which don't would be my preference.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

i like this, atleast an option to toggle on/off should be possible.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree strongly with @kiloecholima that the yearly badges should be interleaved with the gameplay badges to maintain a timeline. I feel less strongly about earned event badges but I think that is reasonable. I'm kind of sad that anomaly badges are no longer interleaved.

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

If it’s optional, then yes. I’d just like to rearrange my badges however I see fit though.

• BreenzyBreenzy ✭✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of having badges hidden away like mission medals, but I am a fan of having a clearer delineation between badge types, as in a more obvious break between each type of badge. Being able to choose the order (of badge types, not moving each badge) is also important imo, as some people put higher priority on certain badges, eg Character or Challenge badges. For other people viewing a profile, there should also be a toggle to just view badges in the current format (this should also be an option for those who like the current format).

Example of clearer breaks between badge types, each one can be offset:

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm hating the mess. The badges have dates on Niantic's end so it would be easy to sort from recent.

It was OK when first launched in 2013 but now? They already produced groups in the actual stats. I don't see why a streamlined categorized option is not there.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

Ya'll break Agent Stats! Would not be such an issue if Niantic weren't throwing more than a meaningless badge a month at us.

• The badges themselves don't get passed to Agent Stats. AFAIK the only statistic that broke Agent Stats was the horribly named "Kinetic Capsules Completed" for Optima, but I think that one's gone now.

Events should never duplicate the name of an existing statistic 100%, but hopefully they learnt their lesson.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you mean? The export stats is specifically for Agent Stats. The format will always be some array of stats that can be sent as an comma separated value (csv). We're also talking about the physical badges - not the actual data displayed.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah my bad - I think there used to be an OCR component which parsed actual screenshot. Forgot that these days it's pure text.

• Yeah when the wrote prime, generating the screenshot was in the 'too hard' basket, so they made a "sensible" text output using multi-line TSV.

• NeothetaaNeothetaa ✭✭✭

I agree that paid badges should be somewhat separate, they feel a bit uncomfortable among things you had to put effort into with. But I could settle for an option "hide bought badges from profile" like you can hide detailed stats. I sometimes regret buying them even though they look nice, they have a flare of devaluing other accomplishments.

However, if there is separation: I don't agree that paid badges should be combined with ones that required effort to obtain, like the Tesselation Paragon was earned by waking up at bizzare times of night to do some hardcore puzzle solving for many many times.

I think the year medal and challenges serve a purpose with the general medals amongst each other, you can tell when you earned a thing compared to the location of another medal.

With the latest "anomaly" badges I feel a bit torn about, Kythera and Kureze are essentially buy-it badges with nearly zero effort required, it would feel right to also classify them as bought medals instead of earned. Kureze feels less bad to me personally because I actually participated in organized playing, but Kythera not so much.

• like the Tesselation Paragon was earned by waking up at bizzare times of night to do some hardcore puzzle solving for many many times.

I got the Paragon badge because I went to Griffith Observatory and hacked some clues during an afternoon. Though only 3 of us turned up total.

• I think that allowing Agents to simply order each medal position as they prefer could be the best way. I really would like to put together all the Nemesis characters for example.

• Any new on this? I personally think this feature would be one of the best improves to the scanner, let's make it as a gift for all agents regarding the 10th anniversary

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

This isn't to bad, if we are able to show the whole lot in some way

Ie, show all Anomaly badges

Show all event badges

Show all character badges

Etc

• It's like missions. Click on the row arrow to expand that type.

• MargariteDVilleMargariteDVille ✭✭✭✭

I would:

• put the Anomaly row on top
    • separate purchased badges from character badges (two separate sections)
    • combine event medals with gameplay medals because they are earned
    • combine anniversary badges with gameplay medals because it's interesting to see when things happened
  • separate purchased badges from character badges (two separate sections)

Character Badges are purchased badges.

put the Anomaly row on top

Part of the point of this is to return focus to gameplay instead of the extra badges. Thus why all the gameplay badges would be always expanded and at the top.

combine event medals with gameplay medals because they are earned

Part of the point of this is to return focus to gameplay instead of the extra badges. Thus why event badges would be removed from hiding them.

combine anniversary badges with gameplay medals because it's interesting to see when things happened

If you didn't want anything to change, you should have said "Don't change anything". If you "combine everything with the gameplay badges, with anomaly badges on top", nothing changes.

• MargariteDVilleMargariteDVille ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

I simply want fewer sections than you do.

• Anomalies
    • Medals that count toward leveling
    • Decorative / character badges
    • Missions

Say someone is L12 the first time, so needs 7 gold. How many do they have? The standard, event, AND anniversary badges count. So they should all be together.

I also think recursing should require more medals. Say for a minute: L13 needs 2 more golds for each recursion. So now you see a profile, and are amazed that they are L12 and have recursed 4X! So they'll need... 13 gold to hit L13 again! How many do they have?

It should all be together.

• Anomalies are not more important than actually playing the game though.