Ingress Just Got Even Better

HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got email telling me that that "A lot has changed since I last logged in." They sure accomplished a lot of stuff in the last half hour, but somehow it all feels really familiar...

Tagged:

Comments

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

I got excited for a minute thinking a real drone layer was being added....

• AkakunAkakun ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

I still do not understand the point of being able to see drones from other agents.

It can be kinda fun sending the opposite faction drone homeward, I get that. But what frustrates me is dropping off a drone in a new city or somewhere while you're on vacation and then having it sent home by your own faction or someone just randomly deploying for uniques. Seems backwards of their whole exploring schtick.

• joecainjoecain ✭✭✭✭✭

Roadmap confirmed.

It says right there... "Scheduled Each Month".

• I get these annoying things all the time,sometimes with codes attached for in game items "THAT I CANT USE"

Soooo for me its pointless getting these things when i cant Login past a blooming black screen map,some progress has been made in my case but that was months ago.

So i agree with you @Hosette how they can say things have changed since we last logged in but dont actively fix the broken stuff users are reporting is beyond me How THINGS HAVE CHANGED !!!

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

Ingress is "designed for you to be there in person" only to the extent that there's a line in the Terms of Service about falsifying your location. The fact that spoofers can influence the game in a way that impacts other players demonstrates how little of a connection there is between Ingress's gameplay and where anyone actually is (the same as PoGo). Agents get off the proverbial couch because they tend to follow the rules handed down to them and crave a reason to move about, not because there's something intrinsic to the gameplay that requires them to do so.

• only to the extent that there's a line in the Terms of Service about falsifying your location.

No, that's the oft repeated reason for the game's existence.

To get John Hanke's kids off the couch and out into the world.

The fact that they do nothing about spoofers does not mean that they think drones equal exploration. \

because there's something intrinsic to the gameplay that requires them to do so.

Literally following the rules requires you to get off the couch, because of the intrinsic requirement to be within 40m of a portal to use it. Cheating is cheating because it breaks those rules.

You're using circular logic to justify something that relies on actively breaking the rules to justify.

edited June 2022

Then what is the point of the drone in the first place? They added it for some reason. I think dropping it off in Hawaii when I’m visiting is a great way to continue exploring an island I only get to see once every other year or so. With only being able to hack once an hour (normally), it’s slow, but it kinda fun exploring that way. But it’s so annoying as he|| when my drone gets sent home two days after I leave Hawaii… I didn’t say I’m not exploring on foot otherwise, just another means to learn about distant places…

edit: so I went and looked for the initial release of the drone. Pay attention to the second paragraph.

We're especially eager to experiment with different ways to play using Dronenet to explore an area, from Portal to Portal.

https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/11057/dev-diary-dronenet/p1

• Then what is the point of the drone in the first place? They added it for some reason.

To make Sojourner easier during a period where leaving your house was a bad idea™️.

Some people find it fun to explore that way, totally, and more power to them. But it's not the Core Gameplay of Ingress. If it were, spoofing would be acceptable and legitimate as a better way to explore.

This is the point. The core of Ingress is in-person exploration. The drone is a sometimes alternative. It's not meant to be a primary method of exploration, because Ingress is all about getting out there in-person. That's why the drone is often referred to as 'legitimate spoofing'. It's a nice-to-have addition, but it's not the core mechanic.

I never said it was the core mechanic or my primary means of exploration. I mostly just said it sucks when your drone gets returned and it doesn’t seem to align with the get out and explore deal. I have mostly stopped using my drone since they could be returned to agents and I think it would be a better tool if that ability was removed or adjusted.

• It was the bit about "Seems backwards of their whole exploring schtick."

Where I said:

Not sure that "Moving my drone around" is in any way related to the "Get off the couch and explore the world around you" schtick that you're referring to.

It does seem backwards…

• I think you're reading too much into a throwaway line meant to assuage people screaming "legitimizing spoofers" at the time.

I mean, he said it, but either one of us can make assumptions about his intent. He certainly won’t jump in here to say a thing about it, so I guess it’s a moot point. But I wasn’t trying to say that drones should replace exploring or that it was their main intent, I just don’t think it aligns with the idea of exploration. If it was clearly meant for sojourner, then why wasn’t it mentioned in the pandemic roll back post? Why did they add the ability to send them home or upgrade it at all?

I just want to drop it off in a city 2500 miles from my home and not have it sent home 12 hours later because someone from my own faction is deploying L1 resos all **** nilly. You can disagree with me, but Brian said and eluded to exploring with them and that’s what I want to do when I’m wasting 20 minutes in the restroom at work 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah I thought the email was quite a joke. All old features. And basically a lie, nothing had changed since I last logged in.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

I will say so. With some features copied from Pokémon Go, and some just redesigned as a network of drones, I wonder how it could have dragged on for so long.

Employees of the company should be ashamed of such a quality of development and such a low level of testing! every second function comes out with glitches and bugs.

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got this now too, after last having the game open…5 minutes before the email arrived.

Good to know so much can change in 5 minutes!

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

It's never going to be 100 percent dedicated to a concept. You're using your own circular reasoning to try to say it doesn't belong when it's currently implemented and never going away.

• edited June 2022

a) Never said it's going away.

b) It's not circular reasoning at all. Need to go back and look up what that means.

c) It's not core gameplay.

The drone is an additional part of the game you can completely ignore if you choose to, and many do. It's an alternate gameplay loop that exists, and will continue to exist, but if it were removed the game's core premise would be unaffected. That's what core gameplay means.

Drones are not core gameplay. Battle beacons are not core gameplay. Scanning is not core gameplay.

Core gameplay is going out to portals, destroying enemy resonators, capturing and building your own faction's resonators, linking to other portals, and creating fields. Everything else is additional. The purpose of the game is to get people outside and exploring their environment.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@Perringaiden There's a non-violent player in my area. I'm not sure he's still active but when he was he maintained a consistent zero resonators destroyed. Since you can completely ignore weapons is it safe to say that destruction of resos isn't part of core gameplay?

•  I'm not sure he's still active

Well, I would suggest this indicates... no.

But you can ignore gameplay all you like and it's still core gameplay. But you could not remove bursters from the game and have it be the same game, which is the bit you ignored to make your claim.

if it were removed the game's core premise would be unaffected.

This is not true for bursters, even if one inactive player chose not to use them.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

I got this mail too, with the “come back now” link on the end. I’ve played everyday for the past 5-5,5 years. Crazy.

and the funny thing is, when the mail arrived the game was down for 45 minutes.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

"Core gameplay"

What actions would you even consider as core? Glyphing, power cubes, and recharging weren't part of the original core actions but would that still count? It seems it's up to interpretation.

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

I received this email a couple days ago. I got to thinking:

A lot has changed since you last logged in.

Logged in… It is possible that when Niantic generated the list of recipients for this message, it had been a billion months since I literally logged in — as in, opened the app, tapped Sign In, and selected the Google/Facebook/Apple account to use. Modern apps and websites keep their users logged in for days, weeks, months at a time.

That's obviously The Wrong™ way to measure an Agent's activity. And true or not, it is the sort of benign incompetence that defines the Niantic brand in my mind, which is why I thought of all that in the first place.

• ArkFangArkFang ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking it's a new automated email system that Niantic is beginning to utilize. And just with any new thing, we are Niantic's sandbox. They're testing and fine tuning it. Thankfully it's just emails and not something major impactful.

• To repeat:

It's core gameplay if you can't remove it without fundamentally changing the base premise of the game.

• Glyphing - No
    • Hacking - Yes
    • Power Cubes - No
    • XM on the ground AND Power Cubes - Yes (you have to have one or the other at minimum)
    • Recharging - Yes (this was always intended, but wasn't initially *implemented*)

It seems it's up to interpretation.

To some degree, it is. But Drones are so far outside that core that they're undeniable.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

Is this an old campaign ad? What else is new?