Comic Sans Link Challenge

Comments

• let me guess, nemesis threatens to change the scanner app font into comic sans unless we manage to evade this medal completely? not sure if theyve gone too far this time..🤔

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, that was a fun event! God bless those VR battle beacons :P :P I do dig the splash of red on my profile now

• I always thought is was funny that the when you opened the Scanner, it was state... "be aware of your surroundings" then "headphones recommended"

• Most likely a change that allows us to link under fields up to a certain length. Would definitely fix the BAF issue most areas have at times and makes the game a lot friendlier for newer players

• Tell me where the field I missed is. This is not "friendly" for new players without a ton of rework in the UI which we know won't happen.

• Not sure what you meant about the fields but I made one under another field just fine. As for “friendly for new players” it allows them to be able to gain AP and play the game as intended (somewhat) without having to worry that their area has been locked down by their faction or the opposing faction. I can agree with the rework to the UI that you mentioned but if this is presumed to be a “testing phase” then chances are that they’re already working on it.

• TsumomoTsumomo ✭✭✭

As someone here in Queensland pointed out it's Mr Tuckerbag !

• edited April 2022

Still a problem, and you've just suggested that new players are required to go to the Intel map just to work out what's happening.

if this is presumed to be a “testing phase” then chances are that they’re already working on it.

You're far more optimistic than anything over the last nine years would suggest is justified.

• Haha 😅 Thanks I try to be optimistic.

Also idk if my screenshot was confusing, I wasn’t trying to imply that newcomers would need to go to the Intel map to know what’s happening. Just trying to show the area I was at because I couldn’t take a scanner screenshot like how you did

• edited April 2022

The problem is, that the 'expressed issue' is massive multi-layering, not single fields. And in that situation, you can't tell when you've made a field in a place or not, and it would be confusing and dissuade new players, thinking the game is bad. As opposed to "You can't do it here, you have to go over there".

Considering how quickly people can get to level 8, just by moving to a cluster of grey portals not covered by a field, encouraging people to ignore fields and play in confusion, seems like a step backwards.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope they meant more than April 1st by this 😕

• When I understand the event, I participate. Got my red medal =)

Love being able to link under. Hope that stays.

• AkakunAkakun ✭✭✭

Well, It took like 8 years at devs to add some portal markers into the game. Maybe they gonna need another 8 to put some visibility toggles 👀

• AkakunAkakun ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

Well, It took like 8 years for devs to add some portal markers. Maybe we will get some visibility toggles in another 7 👀

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

"As such, NIA Researchers have not ruled out the possibility that Comic Sans may introduce a lasting change to the Scanner app’s functionality."

Hmm, all boni were deactivated, only linking under fields remains 🤔

• Looks like I was right. I wanted to say earlier that I agree with you, I hadn’t realized what you were talking about before but I realized a bit too late. It does seem like Niantic will have to make some adjustments regarding visuals if things are to be clearer for agents (new and old) to understand what’s happening when linking under fields

You make it seem you don't use IITC and can't disable fields from showing up in the display...

• XJL310XJL310 ✭✭✭

Link-under-the-field permanently?🙄

Surely that makes life easier for new agents, mission lovers ("create link from this portal"), some players with special interests (AP monsters, HCF lovers, etc.) as well as those live under (constantly existing) fields.

Yet, I was worrying about the effectiveness of BIG Operations: very large fields, field arts, starbursts, etc., during which we often intented to field an area to stop randomly linking (by both factions). After all, in my opinion, MU competition and big fields are definitely among the leading goal of playing in most cases. If the L-u-t-f significantly affects those operations, I don't think that was a desired consequence.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

This was a fun challenge

• Requiring people to a) leave the scanner to keep playing, or b) use an unsupported third party app because their own offering fails, is not the way to run a product.

Scratch that, the native intel website can turn off fields as well.

That would have been the case regardless if it was Prime or redacted.

• That doesn't change the fact that this change would require that, where before the change it didn't... Redacted never let you field under fields, so your point is irrelevant.

• Salue je me demandais si setai possible d'avoir des drones qui peuvent faire autre chose que utiliser le hack mais quil peu y dresser d'autre drone dans le portails sans etre a proximité ! Es ce possible? merci

• KeybounceKeybounce ✭✭
    edited April 2022

So I just found out about this today.

How did I find out about it? I got a notice in my email of something being sold by Niantic.

Came here, looked at it, saw that the forums were now happy on my browsers (different, too), and decided to post a request about my big complaint about the game and the reason I stopped playing -- living under a BAF of my own color and a local team that basically hates casuals because they live their lives around the game.

Found out that this event exists, existed, ran, and ... I never got a notice? And that now, 500m links under fields is the norm? So I can play.

Can't do much linking -- 500m is SHORT compared to most portal spacing around here, but some is a lot more than none. And this now brings the link count and field count portals into play, which means ** I CAN FINALLY GET THE BLEEP BLEEP PROGRESSION LOCKED BADGES **.

Seriously, I live where the dominant team won't take down the BAF to let me earn badges because I can't eliminate all the links/fields from the other side that has 3 players to my single self.

That's horrible game design -- the play at the high end is incompatible with play at the low end -- and at least allowing tiny links/fields is a something.

p.s. -- Comic Sans -- yea, I use that font, it helps dyslexia. Except when, for example, this forum forces this ugly block font here.

• Just when I thought they couldn't ruin Ingress more after the horrible scanner update, they make links and fields under fields a thing. What a horrible downgrade to the game. Are you really trying to make this game so easy to play it isn't any fun anymore? What good is it now to hold a field over a populated area? Putting a huge field over someone else's play area and making them travel to take it down is part of the game. What next? We can have cross links also? How about going all in and making it even easier to level up, lower level 8 to 200K, level 16 is 1.6 mil? I had heard they might be taking the game the way of Harry Potter after the ten year mark, they keep up with these horrible "upgrade" ideas and it will. Link under fields . . . smdh.

• GorillaSapiensGorillaSapiens ✭✭✭✭✭

whatever you're smoking, be sure to share with the rest of the class.