Drone Move - scanner disabled, location inaccurate

phthoruthphthoruth ✭✭✭✭

When indoors, the drone can sometimes not be moved due to 'location inaccurate'.

Consider changing drone moves to work regardless of location.

Tagged:

Comments

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

The game does not function at all if it does not obtain a location. That's pretty much designed as intended.

• phthoruthphthoruth ✭✭✭✭

There are 3 levels:

1. scanner disabled - location unavailable - everything is locked. All you can do is see the view, but the view is locked. There is nothing you can do.
    2. 'Inaccurate Location' - location sensitive features are disabled, but many work.
    3. 'communications error' - speed locked. In this mode you can move the drone, but not hack. Still useful, since you can hack an hour later before doing your next move.

Indoors I'm getting the Inaccurate Location, which has some features disabled, such as hack, link, deploy and recharge.

But others enabled, such as Missions, Dronenet, Store, Scores, Stats.

When location is inaccurate, you can enter Dronenet, but the 'move' button (which is not disabled), if clicked, says 'Scanner disabled. Location inaccurate'

I'd like to at least see 'Inaccurate Location' treated like speed lock, which allows you to move the drone.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @1valdis. It's not clear to me that interacting with my drone should require location since there's nothing location-restricted or specific about moving or hacking a drone... I can do those things anywhere in the world.

• People can agree all they want, but Niantic has coded it so all location based actions require a location lock before they can be done. Given that a Drone starts life being launched from your current location it is a location based action, and speed lock interferes with location lock at a fundamental level (according to @NianticBrian, still searching for that exact quote). On a previous post on this topic:

This is the same reason why you can't load missions while driving down the highway.

Perringaiden actually makes a good point: when you recall and launch a new drone, it needs location, for the initial move.

But once the drone is on a portal, location isnt used.

Missions do load when you're driving down the highway. When on road trips and passing by a city, I snoop what missions are available.

If you do it alot, there is a 'cooldown'. To work around that, I look at portals, find an agent, and look at their profile for what missions they've done.

Most features in ingress work during speed lock, including Dronenet moves. I'd like drone moves from a portal, to also work when location isnt accurate, so I can use drones from indoors. That seems consistent with the intent of the drone feature being introduced during the pandemic - so we have a way to play ingress safe.

• Missions do load when you're driving down the highway.

That will always work the first time after a 30 minute period, just like you can hack one portal at high speed before you get locked out. But if you keep trying it always locks up. One of the original Google engineers explained it to me when I complained about not being able to load more missions while driving. The speed lock once triggered prevents all location actions, including loading more missions, but the first attempt while moving can succeed if you haven't done anything prior.

• It would be VERY nice to see missions while moving, based on where I was when I first requested missions. Often we're driving down the highway (I'm passenger), and I wonder, what's at that exit? Maybe we could stop there sometime. I can see what portals are in scanner range there. But I can't see what missions are there.

It's really nice to come across "hidden gems" that we haven't seen yet. Maybe there's a big park or amazing landmark just out of scanner range from the highway.

I used to use Navigate to portal and then look at missions attached, and agents profiles on the portal for missions they did.

The missions list is location sensitive, so you get one chance before speed lock.

So I think what you are saying is the button to show missions that are attached to a portal is missing. To the top left of resonators, there should be a icon you can click to see missions. In drone view, it is missing. hmmm... I wonder why?

That should be a feature request in itself.