Ingress 2.90.1 Release Notes

Comments

• You can scan 7 times, or 13 times for a fracker, by yourself. It's total, not requiring a specific number of agents. They just want the scan numbers regardless of who does it.

• Given that the Ingress team has no real control over this, we should work on our communication and complain over in the link posted above at the Wayfarer team who are probably laughing that the Ingress team is taking all the flak.

• Neku69Neku69 ✭✭✭✭

What? Is that true? It said you need to upload collectively

• Which means that two people can upload and have the collective total count. It also means that if one person uploads 13 and triggers the fracker, no-one else can trigger a fracker on that portal for the rest of the month.

Collectively is just saying that it's not solo and you can work together. Otherwise they'd specify that you must have multiple agents contribute.

Niantic wants more scans. They're not going to rearrange it to the point where one Agent can't benefit from the feature, because realistically, almost nowhere has 13 agents willing to scan a portal when organized, let alone having 13 people do it organically. Niantic wants 13 scans, whether they're from one agent or thirteen agents.

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk ✭✭✭

What's even the point of scanning when portals are not in their real world locations? At least 5 % of the portals near me are out of location by over 10m

Recently I gave niantic coordinates to fix some portals locations and they came up with their own. So the portals were still off the path and in the forest.

What's the point of even playing this silly game?

I am so mad!

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk ✭✭✭

The drain on my spirit with this silly wayfarer business. Are you wanting me to scan things? No way!

Practical reasons:

The silly "one poi to rule them all" playground rule .... how can you scan a "playground" with little clumps of equipment scattered all over a large area of the park?

Are these people asking for these scans actually going out and doing them?

Data drain such slow upload speeds

Rage At The System:

This has been such an explotative process..... The dirtiness of the data, it's incompleteness, the **** feed contribution pipeline, roll of the dice decision making. Why would anyone want to work with such crappy inaccurate database that you can't clean up that sits like a oil spill over the place where you live.

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

a) agreed!!!!!!

b) yeah but I don't want to waste time with submitting something someone already has. My time is important to me. Wayfarer is extraordinary wasteful in resources on the clientside.

<here beginth rant about wayfarer>

Wayfarer is a nauseating piece of poison. Can't add, Can't update, can't edit, can't batch upload, can't batch edit. With any sort of usual data adjusting mechanisms. Have a spreadsheet of 368 items to do (Would have more - just realised how that sort of organisation was never going to be taken seriously by Niantic).... location corrections, new photos, new portals, typos... but it would take hours to do that via wayfarer. Have all the coords, pics and text ready to go. Instead of a 30 min upload and check it's uploaded correctly - you have to do it piecemeal - go to the location again or spend time getting a key, fiddling through the app, wait for ever for a result by committee which has a chance of being wrong.

Recently I spent over 3 hours getting evidence for real world locations for information signs. Children are the audience of these information signs ... they were 200m off range into the bushland.

3 posts to the forum had to wait 3 weeks for a result. Which was not visible for days. Upon seeing they had not trusted my coordinates and the portals were still off 50 meters into the bushland. Another post which was admittedly acted on promptly. These portals are now in the right locations but still that's a lot of time wasting dramalama.

Just ridiculous. I can't deal with it anymore. They got map nerdy people champing at the bit ready to get things done but are strapped into this infuriating system - No one wants to read a novel one letter at a time. ...ugh...

</Here endth rant>

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

Will be withdrawing about 20ish nominations. Was excited about getting some new portals in the game and creating fun places to micro field. Oh well, par for the course with Niantic...

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk ✭✭✭

I withdrew everything I could I have no queue and I am not adding anything anymore. It's such an exploitative process.

• MightyGreloMightyGrelo ✭✭
    edited March 2022

I think one thing the Wayfarer / Ingress team should expect in th the next coming weeks (and Niantic is probably currently overlooking) is a new spike on fake location edits, fake location submissions, and just misleading contributions in general.

With the 20m rule in place once again, people will do anything to squeeze one more POI into the grid for their game, which will in turn lead to an ever messier database in which POI are located several meters from their original locations.

Please do consider disabling this limitation, as from this thread alone you can clearly gauge how the entire community feels about it. People are already being ripped off by your backwards system, at least give them the ability to see their contributions in game and not just in some obscure Wayfarer database.

• Very good and constructive reply. If Perrigaiden is the XM Ambassador, you should be the Champion of the normal players.

I believe too many people are just used to Niantic not communicating enough or even misscommunicating things, that they didn't even think about how well the fix could have been communicated at all. Demanding what you do is the right thing.

• What about fixing the lags , recharge / deploy...

waiting for fix since mounth.. it should have priority fix large bugs

before make needless options ... ☹️

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that tap disambiguation can be very useful in some circumstances, but generally it's an interruption to the flow of the game and is best avoided. If you are for example quickly tapping and hacking portals while on a bus, if that dialogue comes up unexpectedly it could mean several missed hacks. At the very least, what will happen when your finger taps on the hack button that isn't there is that the disambiguation menu will instantly disappear and you'll have to repeat the process. Often when that thing comes up I've no idea which portal is which anyway, because it's not the same way up as the map I was looking at two seconds ago. It's a horrible, albeit sometimes necessary, piece of UI. And besides that, the stock intel map does not have a disambiguation feature and it's notoriously inaccurate with respect to clicking on portals that are very close to each other.

Therefore it's time for a controversial statement so get ready to click that disagree button: if you can't submit portals without being within 20 metres of another portal, there are already too many portals and your new portal wasn't needed. The game is not necessarily made better by having more and more portals.

I get that sometimes there genuinely are two high quality points of interest within 20 metres of each other. But on the other hand, we don't need every statue, every bench, every sign and every piece of gym or playground equipment in one park to be its own portal.

• This update is an unmitigated disaster in all respects.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

it sounds so and it took a month or so to arrive..

• DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

What took staged rollout to be so...staged? I got update the day this topic opened(Pixel2,A11),my gf on same wifi still haven't(Redmi9,custom A11). Tried manually install base+split,this doesnt work this way(thats why i'd like to have direct apk download not aab which also takes 50mb MORE than unified apk with all libs)(aab meant to use LESS storage because of only useful libs and assets are downloaded).

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

It's all on Google for this one. If Niantic decides on a 10% rollout, Google randomly decides which devices will receive the update in that initial rollout. Niantic cannot control the accounts that will get the update.

The AAB are also a new requirement by Google, so Niantic has to use the AAB format. I'd love if they had an official way to download the APK from their site though.

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont get 2.90.1 on Android 😥

Hope @NianticBrian and @NianticThia can do somthing to relese it faster for Android.

• I know that tap disambiguation can be very useful in some circumstances, but generally it's an interruption to the flow of the game and is best avoided.

You never experienced the complete inability to click a portal because it was too close to keys dropped on the ground then. 😐️

However, I do agree that the Prime Implementation is busted, because it uses the entire plume of a portal as the overlapping hit target, making an invisible stream of XM cause far too many overlaps.

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont see the portal scan community meter. We must wait for Niantic enable it?

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Or the inability to interact with the portal because someone dropped (deliberately) low level items around it.

The disambiguation circle though is a little too large sometimes, mainly in portal dense locations.

• The disambiguation circle though is a little too large sometimes, mainly in portal dense locations.

As mentioned, that's because a portal's tap area extends well above it, to the top of the invisible plume.