Concerns re: Spoofing [A Dedicated Thread]

Comments

• edited February 2022

Well, one of y'all is one step away from an opportunity knocking on your door. I guess!

When life's handing you lemonsmake lemonade.

• Hold my heatsinks, I'm going in

(I'm studying project management in grad school Niantic plz hire me)

• This thread link below clearly outlines a flaw in Nia's activity tracker for beacon ornaments. Hopefully they will address this issue for March event & beyond

https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/18296/kureze-effect-p2-already-being-planned-by-cheaters

• NoctarionNoctarion ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

Banning them is not the solution it's just trying to cover sunlight with the tip of a pin. What has to be done is punish the ones that benefit from it. Maybe not banning their accounts, and I've got the idea that they should punish the ones that use a spoofer somewhere and at the next second are throwing links, those have to be banned maybe not definitely but for a few days, that way you let them know that "hey, you're taking benefit from spoofers actions, and you're being punished because of that".

• Punishing the operator would definitely be better. But for the last two months EVERY enl BAF in both two cells of Moscow is being attacked and heavily crossed by spoofers, so kind of hard to find the particular person who benefits. I am not gong to blame the whole faction, it's not correct. Spoofers don't have faction, they are just pathetic losers and I prefer to think they are doing it on their own and are being just as despised by other faction. Because the whole game starts to stink if you think otherwise.

• TheKingEngineTheKingEngine ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

Nobody's anwsering? Ok. Not surprising. Players will find a way out. Either they move out, or they find their own ways to compete with those spoofers. Guess what's the efficient and effective way of competing with spoofers, when no stakeholders are really caring about eliminating spoofing? Hehe.

• It means regular 'naming and shaming' posts accusing specific people of misdeeds, creates an atmosphere of harassment, and has on multiple times, been used to hound an innocent Agent out of the game. Just because you think you know who's doing it, doesn't mean you can claim authority. That's Niantic's job, whether we like how they do it or not.

You are not the Ingress Police. If you did this to someone in the real world, after the Police dismissed a spurious allegation, you would be sued for libel or slander, depending how it was viewed.

• Have you read the original post? It was suggested to be a hidden post with the name of an alleged spoofer and proofs only visible to moderators. Not a bad idea, actually, like in-game chat, but you would receive feedback on your proofs.

• @UltraViolator :

Have you read the original post?

I wasn't replying to the original post. I was replying to the question as to why someone would get banned for harassment, in the post directly above mine. That response was replying to the OP

The original post is by @NianticThia coalescing all Spoofer related information into one place.

It was suggested to be a hidden post with the name of an alleged spoofer and proofs only visible to moderators.

This wasn't the "original post" of this thread, but how is this different from a Support ticket? I have no idea where in this thread the idea you're suggesting was presented (I have a number of people on block because of their previous bad behavior and I generally don't read every spoofer thread in detail because they're largely the same).

• The original post on one of the zillion threads.

How is it different from the support ticket? The feedback-wise. Zero feedback on the proofs provided makes us think they are being dismissed uninvestigated.

• edited February 2022

@UltraViolator

How is it different from the support ticket? The feedback-wise. Zero feedback on the proofs provided makes us think they are being dismissed uninvestigated.

Thing is, the support tickets have the capability to have feedback. They can send you messages, and ask questions, and have you reply either in the site, or via email. If Niantic instituted a "moderator only" post, where you got no feedback aside from "Thanks for letting us know" etc, it'd be no different from the support tickets.

If they're not going to reply on the existing mechanism which already has the capability, why would a new mechanism change that?

TL;DR - The problem is not the platform or the format, but the way it's used.

edited February 2022

Now we can see how XM Ambassadors are blatantly threatening that "someone would get banned for hara.ssment" here for no reason in this post and make off-topic criticisim ("You are not Ingress police"), by not quoting or replying but throwing "in the post directly above mine", just because players are asking questions about what specific discussion is allowed in this post and further clarification, without hara.ssing anybody or violating any rules. Good to see such "friendly" atmosphere, which helps us identify the exact situation I mentioned in other posts: "Many players who are supposed to at least lend a helping hand to anti-spoofing volunteers, have close to zero compassion for them".

I've expressed my doubts very clearly in the first comment, that is, if we volunteers proactively white out the codename of suspicious accounts, are we still able to make discussion like "_____(whited out by players themselves) reported in support ticket XXXXX is very likely a spoofer because of following reasons" as supplementary of the plain text report tickets to help NIA OPS reviewers to get better comprehension. When there was the Trusted Reporter Telegram bot we do this (elaborate some details for the reason of the report) every time we make fast track report and thus it's a common and normal behavior.

It's very strange that even reasonable questions like this would lead to personal attack from XM Ambassadors to normal players. Why? Not wanting us to stop spoofers at all?

edited February 2022

99% of players who made comments in this post have a common sense that reports were replied with automatic canned response and probably not really reviewed. That's the reason for multiple posts and eventually this dedicated thread.

Any you are still saying, as always, "the support ticket have the capability to have feedback". Are we playing the same Ingress? Have you read replies by other players? Have you ever made any report that has substantial results and informative "feedback"?

I don't understand how could XM Ambassador choose on the first sight to despair anti-spoof volunteers by implying "give up. all your attempts and hopes are in vain", and hinder players from trying to establish a communication channel between players and NIA OPS.

• @LuoboTiX

blatantly threatening that "someone would get banned for hara.ssment" 

No, you asked why someone would get banned for what has been described as harassment. If you take that as a 'threat' its because you know you're doing the wrong thing.

It wasn't a personal attack, it was literally the answer to your question. Why? Because Niantic considers that to be harassment as per their guidelines, and repeatedly asks people not to do it. If people don't listen to Niantic's requests, their only recourse is to temporarily or permanently remove access to their products. That's how their system works. It is what it is.

It's very strange that even reasonable questions like this would lead to personal attack from XM Ambassadors to normal players. Why? Not wanting us to stop spoofers at all?

Reasonable question got a reasonable answer. The strange part is that answering the question you asked is considered a 'personal attack'.

• edited February 2022

@LuoboTiX

Any you are still saying, as always, "the support ticket have the capability to have feedback". Are we playing the same Ingress? Have you read replies by other players? Have you ever made any report that has substantial results and informative "feedback"?

The system has the capability. Niantic chooses to not use it. I have made many successful (and unsuccessful) reports over the last 10 years, and I know that the tool that Niantic uses has the capability, because it's a third party piece of software I'm familiar with in a different capacity.

The system has the capability. The fact that Niantic doesn't use it, indicates that a new platform with the same policies and processes, would not elicit more response, but simply the same level of response on a different platform.

If you think I'm defending Niantic, you're reading what you want to read, instead of what I'm writing.

edited February 2022

I never asked in this thread "why someone would get banned for what has been described as harassment". Everyone can see it clearly.

Please provide the link to comment of this post by me for it. Otherwise you are making false statement to pose a criticism on me. Why?

I don't think criticizing other players by claiming that they said something, which actually never happened, is allowed in any community, is it?

• I explained that posting names of players and accusing them of spoofing, is considered Harassment by Niantic. That's why warnings will be issued. That's their system, and the answer to the question you asked.

You're reading a lot more into what I'm writing, because you automatically assume that everything I say is a personal attack. Please don't.

I want Niantic to fix spoofing as much as the next person and in my own posts have directly asked Niantic why there isn't more player involvement, discussion and feedback. You're fighting with someone who's not fighting against you.

edited February 2022

I've expressed my doubts very clearly in the first comment, that is, if we volunteers proactively white out the codename of suspicious accounts, are we still able to make discussion like "_____(whited out by players themselves) reported in support ticket XXXXX is very likely a spoofer because of following reasons" as supplementary of the plain text report tickets to help NIA OPS reviewers to get better comprehension. When there was the Trusted Reporter Telegram bot we do this (elaborate some details for the reason of the report) every time we make fast track report and thus it's a common and normal behavior.

This comment of I, was never modified. Everybody can see the original sentence "proactively hide the codename when publishing". I don't see any ambiguity here and I believe many players don't see it either otherwise I will receive a lot of disagree instantly, not likes and insights like now. Players who do the reports obviously know what I mean. Where is the hara.ssment in this case? Not to mention the I-dont-know-how ban for the never existing "hara.ssment".

• Like I said, if you name players you can be banned for harassment. If you don't name players, it's up to Niantic to decide whether it's harassment or not. However, I would personally err on the side of caution because they asked all spoofer discussion to be held in this thread from now on.