New feature request: Hack-only portals (no linking available)

KonnTowerKonnTower ✭✭✭✭✭

Would be nice to introduce a new classification of portals to the game which can be pinned and hacked from, but cannot be linked to/from.

This would be a good option for locations on private roads, military bases, gated workplaces, etc.

Cue the rage of everyone who currently uses these types of locations to extreme advantage. 🤣

Comments

• What would be the point? If it's a hard to access portal, hack only would be useless for 99% of players.

• RattusSolarusRattusSolarus ✭✭
    edited June 2021

Portals in places not accessible to the public are and always have been a curse on the game. Better to remove all of them than to create another category of useless portal.

In my country it is illegal to take photos inside military bases or restricted government facilities but somehow they manage to slip portals in them anyway.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not agains this idea, but the problems is how to define those portals and how to be sure?

Players could just start tagging portals they don't like just because.

Or maybe Niantic could add task system, and atribute to players of oposite faction to go there (on previously tagged portals) and scan it? Would have to gave away a good prize for this, like +5 scout point and an apex. It's a lot of work in my opinion. Mark portals as "bad access", finding trustable agents to check it, and rewarding... Could work, but is a lot of work.

But there should be measures agains monopolized portals. I like the idea of keys stop duplicating, or havin a really slow rate of duplications.

• Those hard-to-access portals wouldn't be a problem if Matryoshka comes back.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard-to-access portals are a feature IMO, but that's a separate discussion.

A while ago I proposed the concept of a factory as a purchased item. A factory would be a psuedo-portal that you could drop anywhere, would not give keys or be linkable, could not be attacked or flipped, would come pre-deployed with two R8s, and would last for a short period of time, say 30-60 minutes. The idea would be that people could get together somewhere without portals, deploy one or more factories, and have a frack.

A factory could work in a restricted area like the one you describe and it wouldn't have the categorization issues and ensuing drama.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

I like this idea for events and such. I don't see how it could be exploited, especially if these purchased "portals" had to be connected in some way to an event. Obviously some logistics and rules would need to be figured out. Seems like another way to send some income to the Ingress team as well....

See, the problem with that is what is really considered accessible? You can't even begin to answer that. What about the agents in wheelchairs or with some other sort of physical limitation? What about the thousand of portals they can't ever reach? Get rid of those too?

• KonnTowerKonnTower ✭✭✭✭✭

My general belief, which is just my opinion... Is that if you can't as a general member of the public, without special rights granted by club membership, property ownership, or special status granted by organizations such as military or employment.... Gain access to the portal via public use rights, a ferry ticket, public transportation, or your own two feet/bike/car/etc.... It shouldn't be linkable, or, in your definitiion, a portal at all. For folks who don't have the ability to reach the portals due to physical limitations, they still have the rights to reach those destinations, so they should still be portals.

I'd rather have these portals become unlinkable instead of deleted. This way, people can farm gear and pin (for higher level gear). This would provide some playable content for people in these locations, but remove a lot of the drama around limited use zones for links/fields.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

@KonnTower true, however, when a player is there and wants to link, it will cause drama, because of it being unlinkable.

• KonnTowerKonnTower ✭✭✭✭✭

Which is why on intel and in scanner it would be very clearly marked as the different classification.

• SyksyvaaraSyksyvaara ✭✭✭

I suppose the idea of unlinkable portals is to allow hackable portals (and pokestops etc) while not encouraging trespass to private property. Out of Niantic's games Ingress is the most trespass-encouraging game due to blocking links and fields.

Military and governmental places are easily defined, but for other places unlinkability could be based on landowner's request.

• harkonnnenharkonnnen ✭✭✭✭

I see no point in an Ingress sense for an only hackable portal, besides counting as a unique there would be no point even fully deploying it.

Hard to access portal are great its only the very small minority of ones that you simply cant access, that doesn't include needing to buy a ticket or some kind of pass (hiking maybe) or one that can only be accessed during certain months due to weather. Basically if its just a matter of picking the right time and both planning and effect to reach a POI is fine

An example of what I mean by the small minority would be in Australia you can no long climb Ayers Rock, only the first people still can. So any POI that are no longer accessible to tourist and the general public to me should be labelled as invalid. That has been been recently taken care of and maybe just the mission need some general editing , but sure there are similar one on sacred and questionable sites. Sites that only employees can access is also one I really hate