RIP Missions

phthoruthphthoruth ✭✭✭✭

I like missions; they were my favorite feature in ingress.

But I can't do them any more. I've done the old ones, and there aren't new ones.

Any ideas?

Tagged:

Comments

• I think during the pandemic we need to be tolerant about missions. I have 66 missions in my city waiting for me to do when lockdown lifts. I wrote 42 of these 66. I know the rejection of missions can be upsetting. I hope Niantic will offer clearer feedback on mission rejection in the future.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Are people still actually locked down locked down or is this just something people say because they still have to wear masks and stay six feet apart?

• Off the top of my head: Germany, Cambodia, parts of the UK...Ingress is a global game, and many parts of the world are still restricting non-essential movement.

• Missions are one of the best features of ingress and I totally understand your frustrations and not getting your missions approved. It's tough to travel (if that's allowed in your country) but doing more missions locally when allowed by local government is great for exploration and activity.

I honestly don't see a good reason why the mission limit is so low. Veteran mission creators have put in the time to learn how to create great missions and are forced to stop when the greater community would love for them to make more.

I understand there are some technical considerations but for the happiness of a large number of players that I talk to it would be great to put the effort in to get them sorted. It's an often requested thing that would mean a lot to a large number of dedicated players.

• thesolothesolo ✭✭✭✭✭

Mission limits should have been raised a long time ago. But honestly, the entirety of missions need to be reworked. The mission creator is poor and painful to use and hasn't been updated in years. The banner system is a mess, and agents have long struggled with getting 1 or 2 in a large mosaic approved.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Just make missions. Not everything has to be macaroni art.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

Finding missions in the scanner is also a nightmare. When I travel (which I used to do a lot, sigh) I try to find one or two single missions that are interesting and represent the area well. Sometimes I have to scroll several pages to find even one mission that isn't a chunk of a banner and a lot more than that to find one that's cool and interesting. I would love it if banners could be rolled up into a single entry for the start point and then expanded when you want to see more. And yes, I know that there's a problem with historical data but I suspect that a lot of that could be automated because banners mostly follow some basic naming patterns.

Abandoned missions are also a problem. There are a lot that were created years ago and the creator no longer plays so there's no way to update it to match the changing landscape. You also don't know that one of yours has been taken offline until someone tells you.

Side note: The best single mission I've ever found was called The Capture of Lee Harvey Oswald. It starts at the schoolbook depository in Dallas and recreates the route that he took to avoid being captured.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

its hard make missions when they get denied over and over

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

His struggle to get ones approved have been documented on here with a few topics.

• There are millions of missions in the world. Agent, it will soon be time to move.

• phthoruthphthoruth ✭✭✭✭

I've done the ones on the west coast of US/Canada. Wasnt planning to fly places to do missions... especially during the pandemic.

I'd like to, but can't create missions

1. We are limited to 180 missions live.
    2. Niantic reject 4 out of 5 banners.
    3. Niantic arent reviewing my missions.

• hiryuhiryu ✭✭✭

I would definitely like to see the submission limit raised. Potentially a raised limit could be a perk for doing missions, or recursion, or Core membership, or something. I've tried giving banner plans to other people, but it usually doesn't work out because the process is just so painful (especially inexplicable rejections). I also see several abandoned partial series around.

That said, I also think that these days the number of people who are going to do a new banner is really low, even before the pandemic. Still, it doesn't hurt to have them as long as they're not all in one spot.

To @phthoruth, I can think of at least four local banners that I don't think you've done yet.

• We are under 'Stay At Home' orders in Ontario Canada. Lots of neighborhoods are grey.

• TheAuraStormTheAuraStorm ✭✭✭✭

I love doing banners. With restricted non-essential movement it means I haven’t been able to travel to different cities, but they’re still there. I’ll just get round to them, when I can.

You’re best making more missions yourself and encouraging local agents to do the same, especially if you make a small banner locally, that’s generally fine with C0v1d as getting exercise is encouraged, unless in a very strict “stay inside” order.

Rejecting 4/5 banners, is that just an observation or a cited statistic?

Losing IngressMosaic was a bit of a tough blow to us banner enthusiasts. I loved looking at the site and deciding what cities to visit and what banners I wanted in my scanner.

Hopefully Bannergress is able to recapture that magic.

Thats my experience. Its harsh, but I was able to work around it by submitting 5 banners, and 1 would likely get approved.

The only agent in my area I know that has tried to submit a banner, is so far getting rejected for unknown reasons, so 0 for 1.

This is a new agent who doesnt do a lot of banners, so this first experience will likely make them reluctant to try again.

Bannergress looks great so far, but theres no way to mark missions you've done?

For that, I wish we could fly our drones to where a mission starts and do it (slowly), without going outside.

• kiloecholimakiloecholima ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that will eventually be an option on BG. They'll be rolling out more features over time.