Defense against Drones Returned

2»

Comments

• Personally I have about 200 portals within view. But "Deploy By Key" is a concept where you can get given a key from another city, country, continent, by a travelling Agent, and be able to deploy your drone around the world.

It would solve the issues for people who don't have a portal within range of their home, definitely, but it'd also be an interesting travel method for remote viewing, and fun for people with no real downsides.

• I can guarantee you which one is easier (thus more likely soon), also, one does not exclude the other.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Deploy by key just gives a couch portal for everybody, removing the challanges of the game.

There was already a lot of complaining for the sojourner keepers that the drone made it easy, and deploying the drone by key just kjll it for good. Next step on that regard is asking Niantic for free data plan or automated hack if you can't login...

Current rules at least still keeps the odds of losing the drone, forcing you to move (if no portal in range) or at least try to keep it on a safer location to avoid losing it.

• Deploy by key just gives a couch portal for everybody, removing the challanges of the game.

That's literally the argument people had when drones were announced. Need some new material. Now that they've added a meta-game of sending drones home, to even things out, having a way to send drones out would be a good idea.

Current rules at least still keeps the odds of losing the drone, forcing you to move (if no portal in range) or at least try to keep it on a safer location to avoid losing it.

Only for Agents who don't have dozens of portals in view. Deploy by Key would balance things out for rural agents or people in the burb wastelands.

I can agree with this proposal if it have a maximum and minimum length to it, like you can't do it if the key is closer than 2km. But overall I don't agree. With th exception of a very few target group, it will just benefits lazyness.

If you're a rural player, just keep your drone safe, in a well controlled area and move it when danger approaches.

I prefer new tools to improve drone defense, like resisting portal changes of alignment, and being invisible (must came with some disadvantage to balance things out). Resisting one portal alignment will make it survive a capture, or a destroy (without capture), and 2 will be immune to flipcards and captures after destroy. By resisting 3 portal alignment, it just became immortal for 4 hours at least. Plenty of time to do a small travel and find a new portal to hack and safe your sojourner.

• I disagree with expanding the drone to be it's own version of Ingress. And nothing will ever tell me that sitting on the couch to play drone games isn't already laziness.

What I'm suggesting is drone tourism. What you're suggesting is "Don't play Ingress, play Drones". There doesn't need to be a more complex defensive game, if you can just redeploy your drone whenever you want to hack.

• AtunatunakAtunatunak ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

Now that you're talking about deploying by key, I just want to leave here a different but related proposal I made a while back:

• edited May 2021

This would solve the "nothing in view" problem, but it would also often mean that the drone gets sent to a portal which also has nothing in view, for a rural agent. Just pushes the problem back one step.

Being able to deploy via a key gives the option to choose to deploy in an area with lots of portals.

It would also encourage people to build standing farms, and to have out of the way players come back and redeploy on them because it benefits them too. A player 30 minutes from a farm location might not notice when it goes down, but they will when their drone sees nothing but grey around it.

Would help encourage people to come together more regularly.

Deploy by Key doesn't have any real downsides except players attitudes towards it.

edited May 2021

I disagree with expanding the drone to be it's own version of Ingress.

Ok, if they remove the drone from sojorner count, they can do whatever you want, since it won't matter anymore and drone will be just portal view with hacks. Otherwise is just another level to make sojourner even easier and effortless.

Don't play Ingress, play Drones

And drone ARE ingress. Face it! Don't be afraid of them getting major roles in the future.

Go build up that locked badge.

• Don't be afraid of them getting major roles in the future.

Core Ingress gameplay is in person. Anything else is side games and fluff.

Go build up that locked badge.

I am, in the same way I'm building Scout and Scout Controller. Very slowly and only when I can be bothered. Because it's not the core gameplay.

• NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭✭

Just camp your drones on enemy portals, they won't keep burning flip cards for it lol.