Linking under field event - THANK YOU

Comments

• KonnTowerKonnTower ✭✭✭✭✭

@SSSputnik without some sort of limitation, I would say yes, the people solely focused on MU, map control, and wanting complex fielding patterns will get bored. With some limitations though, we could see it be beneficial to game health.

• kiloecholimakiloecholima ✭✭✭✭✭

I think driving anyone from the game should not be the goal here, but the goal would be to bring more people in. Most of the hard core fielders are likely subscription holders and cash cows for Niantic in the store, so driving them away would be bad not just for the game but for business. Finding a solution that balances the interests of big fielders and the interest of keeping more people involved in playing should be the goal. While I don't agree w/@Smashingt0n on there being no limits, I do agree that it is likely inevitable (and needed) for this feature to become permanent.

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm viewing this post on my laptop, while sitting at the dinner table, with no diagnosed forms of color blindness. If one of those unlinked portals is supposed to be green, I'm at a loss which one it is…

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

There's no strategy for this event. Just hack more keys and YOLO.

•  (And might this be a good thing for the game overall?)

It would drive strategic players from the game, and no, it wouldn't be a good thing. Because it would turn Ingress into a 'make work' exercise game with no strategic aspects. Zombie Run with Triangles.

And eventually, the remaining players would get bored and find something new, because all the players that others aspire to emulate would be gone.

• Fully agree, Matryoshka should become permanent. I think it is actually a benefit that a faction can win a cycle even if the scoring cell is completely covered by fields of the opposite faction. I have often refrained from making mid-size fields because I did not want to prevent microfielding in the area. And there are strong players who could throw multilayer fields over major cities, but don't do it because they don't want to hinder own-faction players. Such restraint would no longer be needed if fielding under (or over) fields is allowed. And players under an own-faction field can still contribute to their faction's MU score.

Just one wish: give us a stat and a medal for MU destroyed, to encourage destruction of big fields by players who don't care so much about cycles and regional scores.

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

Let's just get rid of the scoring,

after all it worked for the canadans right???

• In my experience, Matryoshka does not make multifielding much easier. Planning stays the same, execution becomes a bit easier. Fielding from the centre is pretty ineffective, I found myself running back and forth between the centre and the corners to get missing keys. You would need to plan the key farming in advance. The old multifielding patterns are more efficient. Even for the SBUL-free HCF5, I used the traditional method for the lower HCF4, to avoid unnecessary detours.

Inside-out multifielding in portal-dense areas is a mess because of visibility in the scanner. I tried it, and - to great embarrassment - found afterwards that I missed four links (see picture below). Again, you need a good plan to do it correctly.

• Scores and checkpoints are the best features in the game. I remember one day when I wanted to build a reasonably large field, but 6 minutes before the checkpoint I found that the way to the final anchor was blocked because of a bicycle race. No way to cross the street, not even on foot. I had to park the car, run through a subway tunnel under the street, run to the anchor, flip, destroy, deploy and throw the links for half a million MU one minute before checkpoint. So, please let's keep the cycles and checkpoints

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

So was the agent who sent the screenshot, community consensus was "Fire bursters, problem solved"

Yeah keep scores and CP. Racing for CP is always a buzz.

• VaskinCallVaskinCall ✭✭✭✭

As a player who loves those very fields and MUs, I can say - yes, I'm bored all week, I'm just waiting for the end of this outrage. If this innovation stays, even with some restrictions (link length, 0 MUs, etc.), then I'll have to look for other entertainment for myself, and leave the ingress for schoolchildren. :(

• What happened in your play area that causes problems with fields and MU? In my area, there have been no issues at all.

Is it really so bad if schoolchildren, who don't have motor vehicles, can play Ingress when they are overfielded?

To be honest, not much. This weekend I was pulling a matryoshka in the style of linking under the fields, in the middle of the matryoshka I realized that I forgot to remove the microcross, scored and missed the fields, then I went to take down that cross and lined up the missing ones. 

This relief led to boredom. It's like in chess, suddenly all the pieces would become queens. Ingress is interesting to me precisely because of its complexity, the same lack of the right to make a mistake, and when you link under the fields, ingress just turns into a set of haphazard actions.

I don't understand the interest in just mindlessly linking two dots together. What's the fun in it?

I look at the intell map and see someone start tearing down fields, followed immediately by going under the biggest field and throwing it back - it's easy, after all. Further, between the links in the matryoshka put a bunch of extra protective links under the field. Just collected a bunch of keys and mindlessly wandered around the area, because the matryoshka links themselves will not give themselves nakrossivat, it is not even necessary to look, good or not these links. 

Here's an example:

There's a bunch of defenders that have already been thrown under the fields. There are blue players who don't like these fields, but they also don't have the opportunity to play because of the huge number of "defensive links", which would be very difficult to make in a normal game format. After all, in a normal format, you would have to remove all of your matryoshka and very carefully link first those protective links, then the matryoshka itself. 

Would I beat that? No. There are very few MU's in this area, so I don't see the point in destroying those fields. It will take a lot of time to destroy it all, but it's VERY EASY for the enemy to get it all back the way it was, and they don't even have to think about it. 

I can do exactly the same at my house. Build a matryoshka, then, being already under the fields, throw a huge number of defenders. After all, it's easy, it's extremely easy. But I don't like such an easy and pointless game.

In this scenario, the game of Ingress has lost its most important point: the need to think.

I don't have personal transportation either, I use public transportation or my own feet. That's not a problem. 

Just imagine two people. One was transported to the summit of Mount Everest, and he made no effort to do so. And the other got to the summit of Everest on his own feet, overcoming all possible difficulties along the way.

Which of these people will have the most memorable trip to the summit and which of them will have more fun standing on the summit?

4 apples kazoo the square root on Saturday by rocket ship.

But if I wanted an augmented reality game for easy walks, I would choose Pokémon GO and walk around quietly and catch pokémon. 

Now Ingress is becoming more and more like Pokémon GO - a game for easy serene walks. With these relaxations in gameplay, Ingress just loses its uniqueness, its zest. It becomes a boring game with nothing to linger over.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

Yes i hope this will not be something added permanent, would take away all strategy etc... its ok during a temp event but permanent ? seems meh...

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

The "strategic game" is already a "make work" exercise. There isn't enough churn and influx of Agents to drive any creative thinking (at least where I am). Scoring and mechanics haven't changed in years, allowing areas to fall into familiar patterns that get repeated over and over until people get bored and leave the game.

• edited April 2021

I'm not the one they'd be emulating, actually.

Last time I developed my own field was Feb 2014. I work on building communities, putting people together with others who want to play in the same way, and help motivate people to reach their goals and set bigger ones. This change undermines my ability to help motivate people to work together for their bigger ideas. I regularly help others make their fields, and usually end up in an Operator or Blocker Clearing role which is why I don't even have Illuminator wings.

There isn't enough churn and influx of Agents to drive any creative thinking (at least where I am). Scoring and mechanics haven't changed in years, allowing areas to fall into familiar patterns that get repeated over and over until people get bored and leave the game.

And I'm all for rebuilding the strategic community, adding other changes like additional leaderboards and changing mechanics. This isn't it.

This change feels more like a "We're admitting defeat, and just going to let people do whatever they want while we wind down."

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

This is why I think a craftable Matryoshka Link Amp is the best option. If you want to link under a field you work for it.

That would be a little difficult to gear up for AP leveling, not very realistic.

Reduce Mayryoshka link distance so only microfielding is possible (no long blockers or rebuilds of big MU fields possible without link amps). That will make current link amps useful because those will allow for those longer links under fields at a cost while still unlocking the AP/stats game for linking/fielding/etc. locally.

Yeah, I'm gonna call your bluff on that. You'll keep your fields up even if Niantic tosses a few scraps to the peasants in a reasonable compromise.

I'm actually thinking now that this is bad.

Defensive means of hollowing out inner fields to reduce MU will no longer work. (Agent can just go back and rethrow inner layers under the field, whereas before, they would have had to an virus anchor to rethrow.

It also makes for less need for efficient fielding, because you can just keep throwing any old links to cover an area, (further encouraged by poor scanner visibility to put correct links in).

I think I'd much prefer increased recharge penalty on field anchors.

edited April 2021

which is why you create link distance limitations. To keep the hollowing around and prevent rebuilds from occurring, but allow some play still.

I don't think Niantic will go for something punitive against fielders such as increased decay on field portals. I doubt it would be very effective either. People will do what they have to do and just farm (or buy) more cubes.

This would have to be small, like a few km then.

Recharge penalty could be tweaked to the point the resonators decay every checkpoint.