I feel like the daily tasks and missions from pogo are one of the things that would translate well i

grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

....translate well into ingress.

I imagine receiving tasks from either Jarvis, or ADA or even other entities that my hack into the system that have rewards attached to them could liven up the game a little.

Little things like "capture an enemy portal", "upload a photo or portal scan" "complete a 4 glyph sentence." "Recycle a capsule" Etc that rewarded rarer or higher level gear.

Tagged:

Comments

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

This could help motivate som players that just sign in daily to hack daily sojourner and do nothing more. Since we dont have global challenges for almost a year now there needs to be something else and optional to do. These double r8 events are boring by now, give us something new and exciting instead.

• And what about shiny resonators 😜

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

since we dont have global challenges something extra to do outside these boring double r8 events wouldnt hurt.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭
  • HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

If it work in so many games, why wouldn't it work in ingress too? Niantic isn't a pioneer in this, and daily task, or just event tasks, are very common in many other games. It have a very broad possibilities, like, from just a new addiction measure to catch the players, from uses in short events, tell the lore and even as tutorial.

Using pokemon from example, it uses the research function for many purposes, providing a minor rewards and points to a badge, kinda of forcing the players to use all parts of the game, like scanning, battling on pvp, playing with the buddy, walking more, etc. This could be used the same way I'm Ingress. Some players don't like using drone, but if received the research of drone hacking 10 unique portals and get a reward for it, they might do it and end up enjoying it. Several are against scanning, but if you're in need of R8 and that is a rewards, will attract more people into doing it (in pokemon there's is people daily scanning gym because the rewards only).

And of course the events, instead is just putting 2xr8 and double AP, there could be events to complete a series of tasks, just like Hexatlhon happened, but managed inside the client through the task/research system (Hexatlhon was managed in a website).

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to see this in regards to the medals they're now selling. Buy the "event" medal that requires a set of tasks. I get there is a pandemic, so maybe down the road. Deploy 100 resonators (13 portals needed), create 10 links (6 portals needed), etc. I'm obviously keeping it pretty "attainable" for those folks living in BFE with only a few portals. Hell, make the event last long enough for everything to decay once.

Anyways, I'm in support!

Why would be constantly remembered? Those kind of featured is used to be in some sort of tab. In pogo, if you don't want them annoying you, just don't do or don't redeem and nothing change. And is usually just a push notifications (not more annoying that the pop up showing hacked stuff) or just a fast popup showing that you just got like 3/10 out the goal.

Task/research is a simple system that once stablish, could evolve in many ways and different uses, not just daily task. Special researchs, events, a way to tell the story (this happen in HPWU), introducing new features, etc.

I came back to pokemon because this feature in 2018, doing none each daily to achieve a rare monster each week with th prize. Make that a VR on Ingress and people will enjoy it.

This reminds me of a point I've made in the past. The Ingress team is silly not to find ways to get people opening their app, daily or even hourly. Something like a drone medal, daily tasks, etc. All things that will get people opening the app, more often. Something they want, I think. If you don't want a drone medal or do daily tasks, then don't, but for those who do, it would be a win/win for both parties.

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

In Pokemon GO, if you buy one of those event tickets with special research, once you open the app within the event periods, the research gets accepted and doesn't expire and you can finish it whenever. Should Niantic implement such a thing in Ingress and Corona is still a thing then, they could still continue to offer those medal challenges as you can just bank them if you don't feel comfortable going out.

• AtunatunakAtunatunak ✭✭✭✭

Every item you could get weekly from those daily tasks you could get it also by hacking or walking enough. I understand the motivation to ask for it, but I don't really see any advantage in having it if implemented to get rewards as in PoGo. And as you have said, we already have popups for other things, why would we need a new one?

However, as I've said, having something to help learning about the lore would be great, so if the system is adapted for that, I would welcome it, I just don't want to "have" to be forced to play a daily task to keep up with the game.

Thanks to the person who just keeps disagreeing my comments, such a great way to maintain a debate :)

edited February 2021

Part of a debate will likely include not agreeing, right? I disagree with your opinion, so I hit the disagree button.... At least on the last post, I didn't on the other one.

You're not forced to do tasks in PoGo, not sure why you would be forced to do them in Ingress...

Niantic doesn't seem too interested in lore anymore, so not sure how that would work.

Every item you could get weekly from those daily tasks you could get it also by hacking or walking enough

The same for pokemon, and yet people do it. Would you prefer to just keep hacking until someday get sbul, or finish a task of making 20 fields and get it right away?

edited February 2021

Thanks for being so honest. I just expressed my opinion and I think I haven't been disrespectful in any way, I was hoping to get a response in exchange and maybe learn more about the ideas you hinted above as I've said the lore one is great, but if you prefer to show that you disagree with a message that says you have a good idea, so be it 🤷‍♀️

Edit, sorry, it seems after all that the great idea was from Hydracyan, not even yours, lol

But where would you put the SBUL? With PoGo, iirc, you get items for each daily task (here?) and then the option to catch some sort of special pokemon if you do them during a week (or here?). If it is in the daily reward, it would be a really easy way to get them and the vr status would be completely lost (meh, it is lost anyway), if you chose the weekly, I assure you that you can get more sbul, mh and hs vr just by hacking during that week.

Also, if you chose to put a medal for each weekly task or some other achievement (new stat, new items) then it wouldn't be as optional as you think, cause people would need to do them in order to get them.

Reading the input in the thread, I really think a similar thing could be used to do something great, but just don't make it a daily task, an investigation with no time limit could be great. People is already addicted to the game because of its nature and the community behind it, I really don't see why should we login each hour/day in order to accomplish a task. For me, if it is an obligation, it's no longer a game.

@ZeroHecksGiven no hard feelings here, I mismanaged my emotions, I was already in a bad mood for other things and I'm really sorry if you have felt attacked because that was not my intention.

S'all good! I think we're all a little emotional about this game as well. I think we all want to see it succeed and continue, but we all play it a little differently and we all think different things will work or won't work.

I'm not sure tasks are something that would benefit the game or not, but I also believe the Ingress team needs to start getting a little more drastic and willing to take risks.

edited February 2021

Actually, daily task or not, is just a system full of potential that should be introduced into the game. Each game use that in a way, the fact is that an automated task system will be helpful if well done. Might end up an win-win situation. Niantic could force you to scan a portal in order to "find" a task there.

About the sbul, it was just a random example, but see, on pokemon there are tasks so hard we skip then, and would yet have the trouble to find them. If a huge prize as sbul be at the weekly redeem, yes you could be hacking the whole week and get many of them, buy would you deny an extra one? What about who is not with time to spent farming or is just unlucky?

The Harry Potter game have fixed daily task, that give you 10 coins and a bunch of common items. Also have a bunch of chapters with NPCs telling the history of the game, with longer tasks. Pokemon have random tasks that you get from visiting wayspots, a weekly prize by doing on everyday and have event tasks, and some paid ones. Ingress can have the same system implemented, but with different goals and ways.

• gazzas89gazzas89 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly, I dont see a downside to this maybe have like 5 tasks a day to do, ranging from easy ones like hack a portal and deploy a resonator, to medium ones like fully deploy on a portal and glyph hack a portal, to create a field destroy enemy resos and complete a 4 or higher glyph hack sequence. Each could give a mod or an item (could be choose from a pool or random) related to difficulty. And then set a weekly bonus that if you manage say 30 tasks you get a vr hs, mh and shield or aegis shield. It wouldn't be too invasive on the standard gameplay, it would reward people who went out their way to do them and if people don't want to do them, they don't have to, as is the same in pogo

Just speaking it out, but I'm currently playing ingress on daily basis just to drone hack the entire city and when I get out by car, doing what I can without crashing. I'm on second recursion, my times from leaving nthe house just to wander 50km+ by car to destroy or build things are gone.but even in those days I defended tasks just like pogo, because that what maked me to actually play it on daily basis. I didn't play pogo for over an year after the release because it was boring. All we had to to was wander hoping to appear a pokemon. Ingress sometimes feel exactly the same, with nothing to do, but hacking and waiting for some big OPs. Many players don't care about MU, and even when I cared, wining always felt bland. Many places don't have competition, and isn't worth going many km away from home just to have something to do. So the 2 things I think ingress need are the team rocket/redinfection ideas and task, because there's is a lot of loners out there, and places where the "community" is unhelpful or inexistent.

And poGo I log in mostly at home, just to finish the daily tasks I can get from here, and switch ingress for pokemon on the car when theres is harder event tasks going (like the hoenn event where I had to wander the city looking for a research task to capture plusle/minun in order to accomplish the event tasks).

HPWU didn't hooked me, but it feels more polished than pogo, and the quest/lore task was interesting.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Complete a 4 or higher glyph hack sequence using "complex"

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

FOMO - fair of mission out

Which inturn would quite quickly lead to burnout

Create your own challenges within your community.....

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

I feel like PoGo and HPWU need these sorts of tasks because otherwise the gameplay gets dreadfully dull rather quickly. Those games are all about collecting things and checking things off of checklists. Throwing cartoon balls at cartoon monsters to cartoon capture them gets pretty boring quickly without it being wrapped in something to keep people doing it.

For me Ingress is self-motivating because it's about territory control. I may be in the minority in this but my personal stats and accomplishments are secondary to my changes to the playing field. Creating a bunch of fields isn't about statistics for me-- it's about the planning and execution, and the artistry of the thing. Smashing up an opponent's farm zone is satisfying as an end unto itself and I don't really need stats to motivate me to do that.

Badges and stats have generally always been secondary for me except when I make an art project out of them. Examples: "Can I get to onyx purifier before I get platinum builder? Can I get double onyx purifier before onyx builder?" (The answer to both of those was yes.) I also remember racing my platinum explorer against platinum guardian, which meant that I had to find 5000 uniques in a hair over a month. I managed it, but it required lots of planning and lots of late-night drives all over northern California.

I wouldn't object to checklist tasks really, unless they motivated people to make changes to the playfield that they wouldn't normally make. Hack five portals is fine, deploy 20 resonators is mostly fine, destroy five enemy portals would be less fine for me. Those things would also be sensitive to local playing conditions... if your faction already owns your area pretty solidly you'd either have to travel a long distance or start flipping portals in order to accomplish deploying 20 resonators. Destroy an enemy portal is gonna suck if you don't have local opponents.

Post edited by blueeeeeee on
  • GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

This would be a thing a badge could be pushed for aswell. Requires constant gameplay, no significant rewards granted and bound to a minimum amount of time playing.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

They could even create Anomaly oriented tasks for scoring.