2.59.2 - Jarvis Audio continues playing while glyphing a P8

edited December 2020 in Report a Bug

When opening an EP8, Jarvis starts ranting about being alive and other audio clips.

First bug: I assume that these audio clips and the loud static are incorrectly on the Effects channel, not the Background channel, because they aren't effects, they're background.

However, once you start glyphing, the Portal static disappears, but the Jarvis ranting continues while you glyph.

Second Bug: The Jarvis audio tracks continue while you're glyphing.

This can be somewhat distracting while you're trying to remember five glyph words, like someone talking to you while you glyph. If it's intended, can ADA also be as loud and annoying as Jarvis, as it doesn't feel like an equivalent distraction.

4 votes

New Report · Last Updated

Comments

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

The audio voice clips on portals provide Niantic with a means for story telling.

Currently under untilized

It may be that the continuation of the voice clips are part of that design.

The volume control for these are in the settings. Such that if you did not want to hear any of these, you can turn them off in the settings.

Having Jarvis declare, loudly, that he isn't dead can be annoying at times

•  Such that if you did not want to hear any of these, you can turn them off in the settings.

Just stop repeating this.

The background noise is on the Effects channel, which is a bug. If I want background noise I can turn it on. When I don't, I shouldn't be forced to hear background noise because a developer put the track on the wrong channel.

"Turn all sound off" isn't an acceptable fix, it's a failure of the soundscape.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I literally agreed with you!

You took one sentence and made it an unnecessary argument.

Yes the voice clips on portals should be in the voice controller setting, not effects.

This enables Niantic to utilise that feature to tell future ongoing story through these clips.

Yes the dreaded Jarvis exclaiming he is not dead, loudly, for the thousandth time is annoying at times.

• edited December 2020

The Speech channel is not appropriate either. Clearly you're not understanding what the purpose of three channels is for.

The Speech channel is for ADA to respond to your actions. To inform you of your requests being completed. It's not "immersion". It's not "background random noise" with no active information.

Jarvis screaming into the void does not provide any additional information, or allow another aspect of the information landscape to be ignored.

It is background. Nothing more.

Effects have a key purpose.

Speech has a key purpose.

Everything else is background. Let those who want to turn it off do so. Those who want to be 'fully immersed' in the random static have their choice when that is done. These clips should be on Background.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Disagree, that maybe your opinion.

My opinion is that Niantic should consider the Speech setting, as that of any character's voice.

Reasoning

Delivers story and context. Including Jarvis shouting into the void. It adds immersion to the world of Ingress.

It does not matter if it is Ada, Jarvis, Devra, Lightman or any other character.

Remember when we had the Devra, and Lightman shards. My opinion again, it would be very cool if back then, that story was told through voices in the portals. Now that we have Prime I see this sort of story telling as a possibility. Being in the background would obscure the story element.

These could be amalgamated into the speech setting.

High - all voices, story wise and Ada

Medium - just Ada feedback

Low - No voices

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Will leave it at that, moving the voices to either speech volume setting or the background setting.

There are valid reasons for either.