Niantic, misunderstanding of user needs. Or everything new is well forgotten old.

Comments

• But are any of the deficiencies in the existing gameplay being addressed with development? Or is it focused on new gameplay?

I did notice the additional stock filters on the Intel map which are useful for those players that still use Stock but don't impact a vast number of players, because we've used IITC for years. We're still hoping for new functionality there, like Inventory details, field MU values and unique details.

• kireankirean ✭✭✭

@ofer2 I really appreciate you taking the time to post here.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

I'm wondering if anyone from Nia reads what we are writing here? When will Brian or someone else answer us what we have written here?

Oh, sorry I didn't notice. I just thought all the employees of niantiс begin with a nickname with niantiс.

Post edited by GreenVam on
  • 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

Shhhh, don't tell him there is already a person from Nia here in the thread!

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

Good man, when will niantic finally learn how to finish what they are introducing into the game?

1. You have implemented the concept of magnuss and archetypes that never appeared in the game,

2.you implemented recursion, which never gave the agents any significant benefits.

3. You presented 13 types of exogenous creatures in the story, but nothing really got into the scanner.

4. Even increasing the level from 8 to 16 did not provide any new gaming experience for most players.

Yes, I respect the players who love the game for its slow pace and classic gameplay, but this gameplay has become boring even for many old "players. It's like eating the same dish every day according to a standard recipe.

Even now, when everything according to the plot should not be exogenous, there is still talk about shapers inside the scanner.

And the main thing. The game has been lacking dynamism lately. There is no dynamically changing situation that would force the players to act. Do something about it.

Our favorite game has huge potential. We could take 1st place in the hit parade of applications from Google. But over the past few years, the game process has been in a certain state of stagnation. And this began to repel newcomers, who, after level 8, understood that "at level 9 we will play the same way as at level 15".

Well, you understand, that unforgettable atmosphere of a secret agent or secret order disappears in the game ... Try to get it back, please ... This picture from Pinterest captures the spirit of what the ingress was at the very beginning, when Suzanne was still reporting on YouTube ...

Post edited by GreenVam on
  • 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

WHY?? You know that now he is going to be pinged in literally every delusional topic? You could spare him!...

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

A major issue you have is cheating though. Battle Beacons require coop between factions.

Due to rampant cheating going on, a lot of areas have factions who basically don't talk to each other.

I have not seen a single bb deployed in our city mostly due to this.

A normal anomaly was a grand combat, organised by a neutral third party.

PS. Thankyou @ofer2 for providing feedback. It is hugely appreciated.

• edited October 2020

He told us. We all know. Because he has a little box that says "NIANTIC" next to his name in his posts...

The image shows an aspect of the game as it was. But Operators/Dispatch have never really been closely incorporated into the game ever. The Intel map is useful as a data feed, but only just got filters like hiding the fields.

The true feel of Ingress is still captured by one of the original trailers:

I would love to see the trailer remade like this, with the Prime Scanner. The current ones make it seem far more 'game like' than 'secret agent like'.

Also, the Redfection idea would introduce new gameplay and require people to "act".

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

@ofer2 What are your thoughts on the possibility of new in game things being released as new story content is released?

This was something I mess dearly from the old days, when new features would have story content around them and the thing would be released. Power cubes, Ultra Strikes for example.

• slipsecslipsec ✭✭✭

Thanks for the transparency @ofer2 , it's great!

I have always said that a focus on the community aspect is where this game needs to keep in sight. Especially the things that foster the meta communities, those have a positive feedback loop to the local communities. Shards do this but they're so incredibly exhausting. The linkstar event was great, but still isolated. The challenge badges tend to focus on individual stats too much. I'd love something like "link across a cell from either side" or something like that which really forces the collaborative effort needed. #2cents

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

Regarding cheating being primary cause. I think it is. When we got pretty clean on both sides here, xfac really became a thing.

Disintegrated again once cheating started again.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

Tell me, why don't you introduce something into the game that mechanically resembles raids from Pokemon Go? Random events on an ongoing basis. Or some kind of shards could be constantly played. Or the same beacons would look just great in this role. Or make something like a virus from plague inc, which was transmitted between enemy portals and discharged them. This would be not just an interesting plot move, but also a wonderful gameplay update.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think that would be an "interesting plot move", as well as not a "wonderful gameplay update".

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

We may have misunderstood each other regarding competitiveness. In Mission Days there's no competitiveness and that is totally fine! I compared them to Hexathlons to say that, in my opinion, absence of competitiveness is better than fighting everyone including your factionmates for a better badge.

You wanted me to better explain my last paragraph and here you go. Sorry for my English by the way, it's not my mother tongue :/

You see, there are two factions in the game which are originally supposed to fight each other. Not to agree on something, or arrange something, but to fight. In case of anomalies, the massive faction fight is organized by 3rd side, that is neutral: Niantic. Niantic says "ok guys there's the playbox, there's the dates, there's the rules. fight.". That being said, during these years people developed sophisticated tactics and psychological tricks to capture and hold portals they need. And for most cases, simple direct fight with the opponent on a single portal is not even an option. For Battle Beacons, there's no 3rd neutral organizer side, represented by Niantic. Do you expect that people who are fighting for years would go ahead and arrange battles using Battle Beacons? Well... Probably in places where there are good relations between factions, maybe. But for us here (we have around 100 active agents combined in our city) this isn't really an option. Nobody ever used a BB here since their release. People here are way more interested in battling the other faction in more "global" scale (fielding over our city or large parts of it). Your use case where there happened to be multiple agents attending the conference is legit, but that is because you didn't arrange them to be there. You were lucky that you have had them together in one place.

The corollary for battle beacons would be to have a battle beacon automatically deployed to certain portals once a week.

There is a single problem with everything that chooses portals randomly: couch portals, portals on closed territories, strategically important portals an so on. I think a faction which has control over a specific portal and fields on it would be pretty annoyed if there happens to be a random Niantic's BB on it. You'd need to somehow filter portals to prevent the deployment on portals with huge amount of fields, those that stay for long (meaning that a single faction has control over it), those on closed territories and so on. So those portals need to be chosen by hand and stay the same for a few weeks, for people to change their usual gameplay. The people would then account that, for example, they don't want to link on portal A because that portal will have a BB on it which will drop their fields.

And as always, thank you very much for your attention and transparency.

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is it so much trouble to just create a virtual portal on BB use??

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

Because there shouldn't be such thing as "virtual" portals? A portal is always something connected to reality.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

there should be a virtual playbox where bbs can be deployed day and night outside the normal gameplay.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

No no and one more time no. Beacons, like other micro-anomalies, must be deployed in random order. Tell me why would an agent go to a city with no portals? And it makes no sense, but this is for now. Now imagine that a certain force will appear near the most distant portal that will affect the entire portal network within a radius of 100-200 kilometers. And if it is not destroyed, then it will affect more and more. For example, it can discharge portals that can be reached by links. Or imagine an object, a virus, it captures a modifier slot in an enemy portal, then the second, third and fourth. and then it begins to be transmitted through random links to the places of empty slots in modifiers, to the next portal and to another one and on one more so until the entire portal network of the enemy is discharged. Or if the same virus is installed on your portal, then it will recharge the portal and be transmitted in the same way, but already capturing 1 slot at the same time, giving you the opportunity to set modifiers. To create or prevent the spread of a virus, it is necessary to build a plan to limit or connect the portal network! How many opportunities for strategy and tactics! how it diversifies the gameplay. You can even not make a virus object, but make portals sources of the virus, which, if not destroyed in time, will spread the virus to the entire region.

Agents need to go to the field to destroy a cluster of distant portals, what could be better? and such an anomaly can occur anywhere. That's what action is. I once played Pokemon and saw how people for a rare Pokemon went to the most distant portal. I don't want to introduce Pokemon here. But the very process of setting a task for the player in the form of a raid is simply amazing.

Dear Niantik employee, do not pay attention to the fact that many innovative ideas on your part are severely criticized by some players. Many of the players over the years of the game got used to monotonous gameplay and do not want innovations that will force them to move to a remote portal, etc. Alas.

Or imagine that here and there certain portals with special properties appear, and groups of shards that need to be directed to certain portals to neutralize them. What a potential for daily activity! What a scale for the development of the plot!

And the first idea with viruses and the second idea with shards do not violate the concept of triangles that many players love.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

I will repeat myself once again in addition to my coming message. Look at the profits from Pokemon Go. People like the raid system, and they are willing to pay for it, they are ready to go to a unique PokéStop or Gym because it has a chance to get a unique gaming experience or a prize. They are happy to buy items, as a result of which they will have the opportunity to get something for always, for example, a rare Pokemon, or some other valuable reward. They do not pay money for a Pokemon battle that will end sooner or later (I’m making an analogy about beacons), they pay for the opportunity to get a prize that will remain in their inventory. This is me about berries, raid passes, and more.

Implement this approach with random anomalies in real time and in our game. And don't listen to those snobs who don't need anything but triangles. Our game should bring you profit, but how to do it? You already have an example. But for heaven's sake, don't make new Pokemon go out of this game - come up with something unique, or do something from the players suggested.

• one of the things I'd pay a subscription for is to have some influence on which projects get development priority. 

I would love to see access to a beta stream be part of that subscription (if it's the only way we can get it).

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

no matter what niantic will do they can never make everyone happy thats just impossible.