New Servers

jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

Pleas tell us more about moving to the new severs @NianticBrian

How going? We run on the new severs in 2020 or we must wait to 2021? Can Ingress team speed up the work to move to new servers very slow move to new servers even with corona or covid-19.

Tagged:

Comments

• Keep up. They already posted that there will not be a rebuild of the server core, and they're working to optimize the old system in a Google Cloud container.

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

not really working well.

so many lag and server timeout this week

• quirischaquirischa ✭✭✭✭

@ofer2 could you give us some updates of what stage you're now and what are you planning for near (and far) future?

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

From my experience, the classic servers are more responsive than the RWP servers used for other games.

But at the end, the lag is due to bloat, which is only manageable with 5G.

The RWP would give us things like friends and gifting, and daily tasks (Walk 250m, hack 4 portals, etc)

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

too often server hickups and issues last time now.. and when will the link bug gets fixed? its so broken now its not fun daily have to restart to throw links which is a basic gameplay feature yet so broken...

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

@Perringaiden very true.

One aspect is the need for speed.

In that when playing, you may have times when as little as 100 milliseconds can mean winning a checkpoint, win a volatile portal etc.

The RWP in the other games delights in adding unnecessary long delays hidden behind animations, for the client-server communications. Yet we see that there are still a host of outstanding issues for those games at the communication level, on a daily basis. Ingress Prime followed this trend and while Loading portals, and loading assets takes an obscene amount of time, this delay was not there for Ingress Classic (Redacted).

• Most of those long delays are UI based though. The communication is quite swift.

Prime has it too. Buy 20 R8s. After the first you're stuck waiting for an animation before you can buy the next, but if you know the position of the buttons right, you can buy it through the animation.

• edited September 2020

After Prime's clear development failures, my trust in "replacement" is far lower than "optimizations".

Testing that something is faster while giving the same result, is far more reliable than not knowing a result is expected in the first place.

Things like the yellow boxes for long links being missing for so long doesn't give us any trust that the important parts of the game would be retained.

Brian wasn't around for Prime but he can't monitor everything all the time.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

@ofer2 cheers.

The one core issue I'm having, is the loading of assets.

This wasn't an issue with Ingress Classic, only with Prime. This is evident with the many threads that show that this is the cause of some of the issues, and the perceived lag. Taking upwards of up to 30 seconds to have links show up.

This was addressed in part on the client side several versions ago. However it is still something that needs a lot more time to optimise between server and client

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

@ofer2 A suggestion for optimisation would be to prioritize Loading of portals with a null photo (unless it is already in the client cache), links and fields. Once all that is loaded, then photos can be loaded.

This would help a lot for those with slow cellular connections

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

We run 100% on new servers 2020 or we must wait to 2021? @NianticBrian

• ofer2ofer2 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, loading assets is a known slowdown. I think we have that tracked to be fixed at some point, but I'm not sure when.

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

So instead of new features (unique markers) we get useless gadgets (drone/BB)... sad 😐

• i suggest an option to enable us to turn off portal photos and animationin general

option can be best toggled in two sectioms - the game itself as well as the app settings via the phone settings

this is benefitcal for low cell areas.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@Perringaiden They want you to get your money's worth out of the shopping experience? (-:

My fantasy is that someone with a job title of Player Experience Guru will be hired at Niantic and their first act will be the royal decree of "All animations must be tap-skippable after the first viewing."

For their next trick they will audit all of the games for boring repetitive tasks that don't advance gameplay and make them efficient. Niantic's games are full of boring and unnecessary toil like recharging in Ingress, gifting in HPWU/PoGo, etc.

I will personally thank the person who accomplishes this with homemade cookies and/or a bottle of their preferred booze.

• I've always considered it throttling. Multiply all of that lag by all the concurrent users and those animations start to allow more people to play on the same hardware. The unity ui gives them too much graphic freedom in that regard.

I'd much rather have a text based menu, thin client for the tough situations, the Ingress CLI. A a menu option on the target key that says, link to here from your location and you select a source location in your 40m. Rather than pointing an antenna, and wasting a bunch of bandwidth downloading pictures for all my portal keys, and doing calculations for things I can't link to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tEjv8gVoC8

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

So @ofer2 a couple of general questions about the Ingress Team, since you advise that they actually do play the game. Something agents often find hard to comprehend based on the oddball issues with Prime, like how it's purple text on a black background which is insanely hard to read in the sunlight, or how we had so many odd issues with linking (and still do), ect.

How many people on the Ingress Team have recursed besides Brian?

How many have obtained any of the harder Onyx badges (Builder, Hacker, Mind Controller, Connector, Pioneer, Explorer) ?

How many have obtained more than 2 Onyx badges (not counting yearly badges)?

How many have obtained more than 3 Onyx badges(not counting yearly badges)?

How many have obtained more than 4 Onyx badges(not counting yearly badges)?

How many have made it to Level 16?

Of those agents who have recursed, how many of them feel that there should be more benefits for recursing?

Figured I'd ask at least.

*Note I'm not asking for IGN's just asking for general numbers.

• edited September 2020

Something agents often find hard to comprehend based on the oddball issues with Prime, like how it's purple text on a black background which is insanely hard to read in the sunlight

This is a question for the Art Team which AFAIK isn't Ingress specific and according to one engineer "Spends all their time in a dark room never seeing sunlight".

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

Move to new servers are 100% complete? @NianticBrian

• I dont know what gave you the impression otherwise.

Niantic staff at LA IFS events. It may have been a misinterpretation of what they said, but it was definitely a complaint about the art team never leaving a dark room.

• KonnTowerKonnTower ✭✭✭✭✭

Any news on possible graphics settings adjustments to create a performance mode? No 3D graphics or pared down animations so low-budget phones can get smooth gameplay? I'm on a Razer Phone 2 which plays the game beautifully, but I'd love a mode to throttle graphics and get more battery life.