Badges for Drone Activity?

I actually really enjoy the new drone feature, as it creates an interesting new metagame that didn't exist before. Do you use the drone to float around a farm to stay well stocked on gear? Or do you take the drone on an adventure of it's own trying to rack up unique hacks and flight distance (newly tracked stats), while risking danger. The danger being that drones are invisible so they can really be destroyed by any player if the polarity of the portal you are exploring far away suddenly changes.

Since we have some new stats, any chance we might see some badges for drone activity? :D

Comments

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I belive the unique drone hack is the one that will get a badge. Further flight will be extremely limited by the size of your city, being probably impossible to reach further than 100km unless you live is specific few cities. And even if that's possible, would require just few days to achieve it, so is too much easier to get a Onix by that.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, wouldn't wanna make it too difficult or anything.... ;)

Though, I do get that. I could see two medals. One for unique hacks and maybe another for total distance. Kinda like the trekker medal. I'm at almost 24 hours now and at 6km on a single flight. If I did my mapping right, the max I can get in my area is 20km. I'll keep it going as long as I can and then start looking a little further away to the next biggest city

• Cumulative drone distance would be less fun, since it could be easy to grind out just by finding two portals 1 kilometer from each other and moving back and forth a few hundred times.

Longest single drone flight would be more fun to accomplish (you'd have to plan out your flight path ahead of time, consider deploying in a more populated area if possible, and plan for portal turnover) but would be more prohibitive to players in rural countries where there may not be a line of portals less than 1/2 km from each other.

I believe that at in drone page it should recorded the current trip, the number is step and flight distance based on each step. Maximum unique visits in one deploy also seems fun.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think everything needs a badge but I also think Niantic added the metric to see how agents will use it and if a badge is warranted with the tiers.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think everything needs a badge either, but I also think most people are yearning for something to do besides wayfarer and scanning portals. Compared to PoGo and HPWU, ingress hasn't seen much love during the covid19 outbreak

Well, a badge for that Will surely mess up their data research about how much people are playing with the drones.

• I'm actually up to almost a 25km flight now. My target is to break 100km. Have had to make a couple detours but I think I can make it if someone doesn't randomly flip a portal. I'm out into semi-rural already from the edge of Tokyo Bay.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean the limited usage here is time. You can only use the drone every 60 minutes. This makes the drone have a maximum potential of 24 "unique portals with a drone" and 24 "drone hacks" every day.

You also increment your overall hacks stat with a maximum potential of 24 every day - but just look at the tiers. Bronze is 2000 which is equivalent to 83.33 days. Gold is 1250 days! Onyx is 8333.33 days (22.83 years!)

I'm just saying badges are nice but also enjoy having some quality to them.

I meant that they need time to see how much people are going to use it, to have a better idea of how many hack it's a fair goal. If they release it now a lot of badge hunters are gonna play just for it a mess up data collection.

A drone version of the hacker badge should probably have it's onyx at 5000 (one year of 13 hacks a day) or 10000 in worst scenario.

I'm playing ingress for 4 years and I'm at 40900 yet.