Your first enemy

Do you remember the first enemy you encountered when you started playing ingress?

Comments

• My first enemy:

atlantistor(RES)

• GlenuendoGlenuendo ✭✭✭✭

Yeah....prefer not to name them.

• jplolojplolo ✭✭✭✭

Hmm.... Yeah. I think it was... ****. I can't remember his name because he changes it so often.

We know him as Nishi. Enl, then Res (shocker to all). He's very polite in person. But, his game style was stalkerish. He knew where people lived, made note of their real names... multiple times I had to hide in the shadows like Batman to avoid being spotted by his creepy stalker behavior.

I preferred enjoying the game on my own without people knowing what I looked like, or what my gender was, what car I drove, where I worked. Could care less if they suspected I was spoofing. It was my business to be where I was when I was, doing what I do. Not interested in creeps bating me so they can catch me in the act, snap a photo, report on my description, verify my location. Nope.

So, I began bating him back. Yep, that's what I did. Right back at ya. Gonna drive in circles because of me? Go right ahead. I've got all day.

Anyway. We get along fine now. His behavior has mellowed out. I can often rely on him for operation tasks as back up or gear exchange.

• At my first IFS I walked up the a group of people when meeting ANYONE Ingress related for the first time. I was wearing a shirt with green stitching (not thinking) and started talking to a friendly group of 7 or 8 who all happened to be frogs... Most stayed friendly when they realized I wasn't Enl, a few didn't acknowledge me.

It was a good day though. Both Smurfs and frogs helped with tips and tricks and helped with understanding mission banners and some history about the game.

• ZennZenn ✭✭✭✭

@YenYob was my first true rival. It was never toxic... Just competitive. I credit sticking with the game long enough to get hooked because of him.

It was a different game back then. WAY less portals meant captures didn't go unnoticed. Now there is an element of saturation that demands a rolling wave of activity to get anyone to blink an eye.

But if Yen ever does anything I still take notice.

• I don't have any enemies as such, it's a game at the end of the day and you have to draw a line. If it's become personal to the point you have actually enemy's, rather than challenging counterparts, I think perception on the situation is lost. Best to have a beer and some cake and leave the enemies behind :)

• KecMagikKecMagik ✭✭✭

r.Morbin

I kind of miss him

• lolkurt (may be remembering his IGN wrong) I was wandering Annapolis learning how to walk and he hit me up on comms and offered a beer. He also showed me the long press attack. Pretty nice for an enemy agent. First actual person to attack my portals was Falstafff.

• OphthalmosOphthalmos ✭✭✭

i cannnot remember him clearly. maybe AFK already.

• I find it really sad that "enemies" exist for people playing a computer game.

That said, back when I first started playing there was one player who used to freak me out and bug me a lot. I'd often catch him in my area at the same time as me taking down portals and links, but couldn't see him even while he was wrecking a portal I'm standing at with no cover nearby. It took me over a year later to learn that spoofing was a thing.

Can't remember the Agent's name, but I'd remember it instantly if I saw it.

• My first enemy was my girlfriend, whom I showed the app via code invite. I asked a few hours later, "have you looked at that app I sent? Its crazy!" To which she responded that she had, and had picked "the blue side..."

It got under my skin, and we moved past it, but then opsec within both our local teams drew a lot of tension between us.

Between her favorite agents moving far away, and her coming to understand why Enlightenment is good, She's enlightened now.

My only enemy these days is the prices of gasoline and hours per cycle.

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

The first "opponent" I met was killing time in an airport. There were 2 portals in range which I had deployed and put on multi hacks as I had more than an hour until boarding. After about 5 hacks each they were suddenly destroyed and captured by a Res player. I promptly destroyed them and captured them back. After a few minutes of the portals changing sides the Res agent saw my phone and came over to say hello. We had a chat for a bit before he had to board his flight.

At every First Saturday I've been to there were no enemies. Everybody plays hard for 2 hours then we all have drinks afterwards.

• @Cybertherion in my experience it tends to be one player who gets waaayyy too into the game, or is a sore loser, or both. Instead of a "mutual enemies" situation, it's more like that one drunk guy at the bar who picks a fight because someone's wearing a different sports team's jersey.

• Texastwister (res)

I was the brick wall he could never break down. He would sweep my area 2-4x a week untill I pushed him back into his home area.

I miss those days.

• ManiacDManiacD ✭✭✭

My first "opponents" in the game, all bar one, retired from the game ages ago but that hasn't stopped us all playing other games together.

• SonicgottSonicgott ✭✭✭✭

My first so-called "enemy" ended up being a nice guy.

• During the first few months of play (January through to May 2013), my wife and I were slowly crawling up the levels but there was one local smurf 'scifly' who always seemed to be one level above us: we got to level 3 he went from 3 to 4 (hey, it was harder back then!), we raced him up through 4, 5, and 6. Always just about neck and neck.

We have cars so were more mobile but were sharing AP for captures and linking, he was on bike and public transport so got all the blue points for himself but there were vast areas (entire towns locally) with no portals at all. Eventually we and he all reached level 7 but then he retired as he saw the gulf from level 7 to level 8 as insurmountable.

Fortunately it wasn't long until new smurfs came along and while they may have acted scared the first times they encountered the local level 8 greens they were soon able to give us a run for our money.

• JudyBJudyB ✭✭✭

As @kupuguy says, scifly was our main opponent initially.

There was also TheMaster, presumably a Doctor Who fan, who lived in a village with *5* portals! We both reached level 8 before he did, since he slowed down a lot before finally reaching level 8 and stopping playing soon after. I think that one reason he stopped playing was that he needed to be home for his kids' bath time.

• Yes, I forgot about TheMaster, but now you mention it I remember trying to engage him in conversation. He was happy to chat but couldn't stop because of the aforementioned bath time.

• ntzzntzz ✭✭✭

Obviously , he came to my home to see me, how to forget it...

• I agree with your sentiment @Losanguinos, I'm one of those drunks who can handle their drinks and I don't need to rob the bar for another one.