Dev Diary: Dronenet

Comments

• jsylvisjsylvis ✭✭✭✭

Completely nailed it.

This is entirely antithetical to Ingress, cheapens badge achievements, and further lowers the effort bar for farming.

This feature is ridiculous. It's legitimized spoofing.

• jsylvisjsylvis ✭✭✭✭

It already is. No agent is present for the hack - they've just built-in heavily throttled spoof farming.

• I'm currently at a portal 1.5 km away from origin, and stats still show 1 km. I've plotted the legs on Google Maps and it shows that the traveled distance is 2.5 km.

I'd rather not backtrack right now, as it took me a while to get to this point, and I'd rather not have to repeat it again twice. But I will continue collecting data.

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope we can get new design of dronnet and controller and steer drone to portals with mobile. Same we do with real drone. Please relese it soon @NianticBrian

• It would be great if you can Ada or Jarvis that portal that you are visiting by drone. The way the game is going is to use more unreachable portals to the other faction and this would change back that dynamic.

• uditarenuditaren ✭✭✭

Thinking about it: what if you just enable advanced features only on portals a player has physically visited before?

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticBrian there are things I like about the Drone,

For example, being able to hack a P8 when you are unable to walk down the road to it, for example you are sick with the flu.

What I don't like about it, is that it consumes all Hacks for 5 hours, I'd change that to limiting Hacks to 4, no less than 15 minutes apart, for up to 4 Hacks per hour until the 5 hour cool down occurs.

It is touchy to know if using heatsinks and multi Hacks will improve gameplay, or shift too far and be over powered. I reckon the lattter.

Ingress is about getting out and about.

What I'd change about the drone, is that it should be limited to link lines of whatever faction it started out from, when hopping from one portal to the next, ie if you are Resistance, and want to use it on Enlightened portal links, then YOU travel to an Enlightened portal to put the drone on.

Another suggestion, is that you can possibly one Hack one key only, ie glyphing more keys will not work, thus you would be limited to the one key

Putting that key into a locker would be the only method to be able to hack one more keys, but I'd prefer this not happen, as it will seriously unbalance the game.

If at some point the DroneNet will be upgraded to Level 2, and enable linking with it, ie, one link per 60 minutes might be possible, but then this would be exploited too easily.

Instead, maybe one link only, then the DroneNet 2 would be immediately returned. Still no deploying mods. To maintain balance, as a lot of people go out of their way spending upwards of thousands for big fielding ops, and the DroneNet 2 if it comes with linking, should consider the ramifications of that. I would err on the side of caution, than hastily add something that is detrimental to the game.

I can see that Niantic want to return to Hack Only for Sojourner, and remove the recharge facet, where the drone is useful for that.

The use of Drones for flipping portals should also never happen, again, too easily to be exploited.

Anyways, these are just my opinions.

• Fantastic! I would love to see multiple drone types, perhaps one can only make links, one that can only get keys(stores them till recall), one to deploy(from a resevoir). Lots of ideas, and plenty of ways to balance them. I want to see as many features as y'all can balance!

• Indeed, I would say that anything that alters the portal network (deploys, mods, destroys, links, ...) should only be possible while being physically present.

So that only leaves hacking. And recharging since you can do that remotely aswell.

I wouldn't mind if drones allowed me to recharge the portal it's on as if I was present (so without the reduced effectiveness)

• @NianticBrian , good morning! 

Dronenet seems to be incredible. I take advantage and type about the tessellation event, because sometimes it is necessary to obtain 1 media by doing the hack on the portal. 

Release Tesserae in the hack with Dronenet, and other types of media, events also like Hack Start for IFS, IFS restoking portal. 

Dronenet can be used in many different ways in the future. 

How many media can Dronenet save? With only 2,000 space in the inventory, we were unable to save many media.

@FMotaBra

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticBrian Please fix new design of drone and give us joystick we use to move the drone and real sound of drone when we use drone mode.

• maqifrnswamaqifrnswa ✭✭✭

Ideas for future drones:

* recon drones: able to see if enemy drones are on a portal or in the vicinity. (This might be unfair to casual players and lead to hunting like guardian hunting)

* Mod drones: when on a portal they act like a mod (shield, turret, etc). Although that can be like a remote action on the portal, which I think ingress wants to avoid

• supastagsupastag ✭✭✭

Will there be medals for drone stats?

• As long as drones can only perform their functions on portals you can see in the Scanner, like the Mark I does now, I think they’re fine doing all sorts of things.

More complex ones like attack or defense drones should probably be paid upgrades though.

• 4nte4nte ✭✭

Making drones visible on map would really be a great idea and incentive to make the game a little bit more competitive and interesting!

Also the idea to be able to hide it, for a certain amount of jumps, would be nice.

Another issue might be if you do not have any visible portals in sparse areas, in this cases you would have to go back...

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

I would very much like the drone to become a faithful companion of the agent during the game. Not once in 1 hour, but on an ongoing basis. Like a chosen pokemon that helps a trainer in pokemon go. 

An agent can choose a drone as a companion, for example, an agent goes and hacks a portal, and the drone increases the number of items dropped. Or for example, a drone enhances the power of bombs. There will be a sort of fully customizable, or multi-functional personal ingress assistant!

Also, an agent can send a drone for a specific task, for example, collect a key from a portal, or transfer a capsule to another agent.

Also, drones could be used to protect a specific portal (a sort of additional shield or turret) or to protect even a specific area.

You CAN SELL modules for drones, which will increase the strength of the additional attack by the drone, strengthening the protection of the agent from portal counterattacks, expanding the inventory for drones. And much more. I ALREADY AGREE TO PAY MONEY FOR SUCH IN-GAME COMPANION, WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF CUSTOMIZATION.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭