Moderator users?

jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

Can users get moderator or only Niantic moderate on the community?

Tagged:

Comments

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont know @CrimsonGrimoire but i hope Niantic is only moderator in the community.

• GlenuendoGlenuendo ✭✭✭✭

I sure wouldn't want to deal with moderating.

• I hope it's just Niantic. If it's community and based on level then that just won't work, someone got to level 5 already and they have 1,103 points. When did this forum come out again?

Hopefully with the abilty to Flag people it'll be fairly straightforward.

• DigitalisDigitalis ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

you have to submit yourself to be peer reviewed. when you have enough agreements you are removed from the queue and will receive an email update with details.

• I would not be surprised if they do something like the Vanguards (though not specifically the Vanguards). But that would be selected, not automated, and subject to human review.

• jplolojplolo ✭✭✭✭

Been wondering the same thing. Thanks for bringing it up @jontebula

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

You mean only Niantic and Niantic never plan to bring moderate to users?

• SonicgottSonicgott ✭✭✭✭

Moderator positions are a responsiblity, such a position I feel should only be handled by Niantic staff, at least at the moment.

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

And it should be a paid position, to put up with the likes of us :)

• Paid moderators are a thing. In a community so predisposed towards animosity and invective as this one, I think it would be the best choice. I certainly don't think they should let players moderate.

• Ditto... guarding vans is taking enough resources as is.. 😏

• MajeyeMajeye ✭✭✭

I disagree with this statement completely.

I am a current administrator for freeCodeCamp, a community that I actively partake in as well as admin for.

I am a former World of Warcraft game master, a game I have actively played since late alpha in 2003.

I am a former moderator for the game "SOS" (by Outpost Games), a game I used to play actively (before it was shut down).

What does any of this have to do with having forum moderators here?

It's easy to see who can keep a level head in an online gaming community forum, and as such, provide them with some simple tools to help keep it free from spam and other nonsense. As the community grows, I'd imagine that eventually, Niantic may employ volunteer moderators to the community. Just like with every online gaming community.

• @Majeye , I disagree with your statement.

The Ingress community is different from online-only gaming communities. The decisions of player moderators, no matter how fair or impartial, would be much less likely to be perceived as fair or impartial. Their presence would amplify the factionist animosity that simply isn't present in many other environments, or if it does exist, isn't as close to the surface.

If this forum is going to be a pleasant and productive place, any corrective action taken on the part of the moderating staff needs to be accepted as legitimate by the players, Many players are willing to jump up and holler if they think favorites are being played between factions. I'd be willing to bet that most of them would simply drop the forum and return to their own insular communities if they didn't think they were getting a fair shake.

I like this game, but the community is a pile of oily rags, and player moderators would just be the faulty wiring in the electrical outlet nearby.

• MajeyeMajeye ✭✭✭

I disagree with your statement.

After attending some IFS events, the cross-fac community is strong so long as you actually partake in it.

If you sit and stew and consider someone hitting your "couch" or "desk" portals as personal, then perhaps I could see your post as legitimate, but alas, those portals are not owned by any single player/agent, they are there to be taken (and should be as it's just more AP for everyone involved).

The online cross-fac community can be just as awesome as long as the right folks are let in, if someone that gets hot-headed is let in, then yes, it could be a mess - which is why if this becomes a thing, the agent needs to be heavily vetted by trusted folks from both factions, as well as niantic themselves.

It can happen, and it can be a good thing as long as everyone involved remains positive.