Ingress is Unique

Ingress is the only game that I can think of where each player can define success in their own way and have fun pursuing it. You can be a destroyer, mission hound, unique hunter, builder, BAF'er, glypher, lone wolf, team player, or whatever. Most games have limited paths to success but that's certainly not the case with Ingress.

I'm partial to collecting uniques (coming up on 70k Explorer / 35K Pioneer) but have never been much into missions. My gameplay shifts based on the environment at hand so it's never boring.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Yup, every other game I try to get in to ARG wise I just get...bored. Here I can do whatever I want.

Many witnesses to my derps can attest to that.

• jplolojplolo ✭✭✭✭

This is the only thing keeping me around. When I get bored with one aspect, I can quickly pursue another. Master that, move on to the next.

I'm similar with my career. In Astronomy you can do any topic between Astrology, Geography, Biology, Geometry... it's all within the field of Astronomy.

In fact, that's why I got into planning for a short while in Ingress, is because I thought the skills I picked up on Google drives, sheets, groups, etc... would help me at work.

• OphthalmosOphthalmos ✭✭✭

Unique game, unique experience, and unique community!

• Patka07Patka07 ✭✭✭✭

That's what makes this game so cool! One day I can smash enemy portals and another I make BAFs. Everyone can find something for themselves.

Big ingress community is a plus for all agents, its not important if you prefer banners, or just **** AP or put 45 resonators in each portal. All people can find true friendships, beer lovers and trip freaks:)

• DigitalisDigitalis ✭✭✭

have you ever heard of a game called ultima online?

• *mumbles in minecraft and is getting wood*

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

The fact that you always have the possibility to play a different game inside Ingress makes it a never-ending source of entertainment.

Personally, I love the physical factor of this game, because is not just go get the portal, go create the field, go fight for your team, it's the pride on your face when you point a mountain in the distance and say "I've been there and I'd go again".

• CilenzCilenz ✭✭

You're right, thats a big plus for ingress. But it's not the only Game where this Is possible.

• Qu4rdQu4rd ✭✭✭

Ingress is the only game that allows me to do whatever I want within my means. Some would say "i want to be da destroyerr!" or "fielding frenzyyy ftw", but I can do either or anything....except of course during an anomaly or a specific events throughout the year. Lol.

It is the community. I wish we have more of the cross faction events like the one with darkxm badge. It turns into "your enemy is my enemy", a common goal for both. I like my local community, and value their hard work to make sure everyone welcomed when they first joined the faction.

I did, in an excitement of everything, feeling that this is THE game for me, I learned that while we have our own lifestyle, gender certainly is a non issue. This what makes me still on and off playing it in my free time.

• Lone wolf is my type.

I love so much make tiny fields, and to conquer Onix Badges, my last one was Mind Controller 5 days ago. It's my jam.

Building more than destroying, maybe I will change because of Purifier Badge stuck on gold.

• I'm curious what other games allow for the same sort of freeform play with identifiable and achievable goals.

• SenmanaSenmana ✭✭✭

It is fab that you can take from the game the bits you most enjoy and excel at it. I'm in awe of some of my friends glyphing and missions, some of my teammates make amazingly huge fields, and I focus on OPR and take pride in my recon badge. None of us play the game "better" than each other, we're just doing the bits we love.

• SonicgottSonicgott ✭✭✭✭

It is about the community. Sure, there's a competition, but for me, I just like using Ingress as a means to relax. It's a methodical game that isn't time sensitive (usually), and I can do all sorts of things.

• I do like how it has different aspects. I'm usually one who likes to collect, but since I started playing so late, I am going to try and catch up on 'all' fields as much as possible which generally is my go to when playing games. It is not easy and time consuming, I tend to be a bit die hard, but not 'fanatic' like some players who are openly 'attacking' other players for claiming 'their' portals/area.. etc..