Future OPR backlog and issues

ClumsyNinjaClumsyNinja ✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in Wayfarer (Archive)

Niantic just announced submissions are live in Germany for Pokémon Go users, suggesting it is on the horizon for other European countries.

This is/will hit the OPR community like a tonne of bricks, even restricted at L40 (L16 equivalent in Ingress). There are 37 L40 players in the discord I am in in the city I play in. This number is vastly underrepresented as this is just the small fraction that choose to use discord.

There are more L40 players in our city than there are Ingress players.

Does Niantic have any plans to mitigate any issues? An issue I see are a lot of submissions for POIs that already exist in Ingress but haven't converted over due to stricter S2 cell proximity rules.

On the topic of proximity itself I think the app should do a proximity check during the submission process so it won't let you submit if it is too close to an existing portal. It will save a lot of time for everyone.

Comments

• @XQlusioN then they'd get flagged for OPR abuse if that ever becomes a thing, which it should.

• A lot of submissions are (accidentally or not) at a non exact location.

Differentiating between accidental and purposeful tampering is hard to do.

• There's a special place in hell for people who don't bother checking location 😂

• ClumsyNinjaClumsyNinja ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

Sure, but I'm not sure what else they can do to limit submissions that are already things that exist in Ingress and will get marked as a duplicate, or are too close to a POI and will get rejected by Niantic.

If 5% of players don't bother submitting when they see that message then that's better than what we have now where reviewers are wasting their time.

• Maybe if they fixed the login bug for OPR, the new reviewers are more than happy to help out. They are just unable to!

• pitareiopitareio ✭✭✭

To clear the backlog, we need more people reviewing. Portal upgrades helped, but they seem to have reached their limit. So the only two options I see are opening to lower level Ingress players, or opening to Pokémon Go players, who greatly outnumber elegible Ingress players, even if you only include L40 trainers. Not sure which one would turn out better.

• Opening OPR to PoGo players would be a Desaster. Now that I see here in Germany what POIs they submit and which explanation they use...

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't open it and they will come flying to ingress, mess you local network spoofing arround until they got lv12. That's what happens were I live.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

My suggestion is:

Down submission to lv 30 or 35 (so they will keep playing theyr game and not come to ingress just to get lv10, Wich is ten times easier than lv40 in Pokemon).

Make then pass through a test similar to actual OPR.

Pokemon lv40 access to OPR through the test again.

To many rejected submissions and you get temporary ban. To many flagged as fake and permaban.

To many contrary reviews (being poor at OPR) and you get banned or reduced amount of reviews per week/day and if it keeps lowering, permaban.

Being banned from submission automatically ban from OPR too.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

If you open OPR to Pogo players they will have to be vigorously trained on what is and isn't a proper POI and given a proper incentive for judging nominations fairly and consistently. Since there is no type of medal for judging or discovering pokestops there's no motivation for staying out of "poor" status for pogo players. An agreement is still an agreement whether it is shitty or not and that could possibly bring down legit Ingress players who are judging by the rules.

• TerranceTerrance ✭✭✭

It seems like the submission and review process needs to be game-agnostic. It can still require certain access levels in the clients to submit and review, but the dataset should be worked on in its entireity, rather than separating portal and stop/gym submissions.

This could take the form of an independent submission app (or otherwise some common UI between the games -- maybe the existing Prime and PoGo flows already satisfy this?) that validates duplicates against all existing locations, whether or not they appear in a certain game. Similarly, reviewing should take place in a single OPR-like experience, with a single initial test to pass, that surfaces all points of interest for a full review.

• ZennZenn ✭✭✭✭

OPR is coming to PkGO and wizard's unite eventually. they're rolling things out very slowly submission wise and ultimately OPR wise... So that they can deal with things in a maneable way. By the time PkGO gets an OPR of their own... I conjecture that it will just be a separate stand-alone app that gives points for each game you're in. One entry point that affects they're POI platform.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

They aren't splitting the POI database If anything they will just make everyone login via a main website and you vote via the game of your choice for rewards but you only get one vote per the entire platform.

• jkg5150jkg5150 ✭✭✭

@Hydraulinski the problem with using account restrictions / bans to discourage poor submissions and bad reviewing, among Pogo players, is that an overwhelming majority of Pogo players have more than one account -- and if you're allowing submissions from L30, that is around the "battle ready" level most of them get their alts to as a minimum, so that the alts can be useful in raids.

Unless Niantic chooses to do something about rampant multi-accounting (which sells a lot of raid passes) I'm not sure there's a solution.

• This! Niantic, bring a test online to unlock portal submissions in Pokémon.

After 48 hrs of doing OPR I'm ready to set my mobile phone on fire and delete both - my L14 Ingress account and the Level 40 one at PokémonGo.

OPR is blocked with hundreds of useless, ridicilous and wrong submissions - all with begging comments like "there's no stop - please be generous" or "please let this pass as we're in urgent need for another gym here".

Please Niantic, get this fixed at some point and in some way and do not upset your OPR agents as more as they're already.

However, how did this turn out in other regions where submissions for PoGo has been live for several months? Same issues? Better submissions?

Cheers

• msz21msz21 ✭✭✭

@Chaotenkind So my bonus location is India and pogo players just got access to submissions. For the most part I barely see any submissions from them still even though in India this is one of the major cities but in the Western world it's pretty unknown. My bonus city location despite having a population above the millions have very few portals or ingress players and I had chosen it when I visited almost 8 months back. For the most part I've been seeing candidates that I can almost always approve even with the increase in submissions because they have a lot of temples and areas that lack portals in general and are in general easy approvals.

I think they are currently testing how OPR works out on Niantics side regarding if pogo players can get review capabilities or to see the strain on review times if its dependent on ingress players. They might actually keep OPR just for ingress players because it will always result in new players coming from the PoGo or Harry Potter world in the future.

I also think it makes a significant difference in where people live. The areas that have a very dense amount of portals probably have very old portals which would never be approved modern day. When this translates into Pokemon Go and the player sees that a memorial bench can be a portal, they will think there's a chance that the other 20 memorial benches might be approved. I think them taking some formal test should be a requirement before they get to submit where they can choose via images of what can be a candidate and what can not.

• I also think it makes a significant difference in where people live. The areas that have a very dense amount of portals probably have very old portals which would never be approved modern day. When this translates into Pokemon Go and the player sees that a memorial bench can be a portal, they will think there's a chance that the other 20 memorial benches might be approved. I think them taking some formal test should be a requirement before they get to submit where they can choose via images of what can be a candidate and what can not.

@msz21 This is certainly a problem I see in the UK at least, I've had a lot of people ask me about X, Y and Z being a portal, silly things like chains of restaurants/shops etc. People just want POIs near where they work and live (understandibly) but I am curious how Niantic will handle this. It's always been easier to reign it in and advise people within Ingress communities due to how small they are in comparison to Pokemon Go communities.