Votes on portal picture

Are votes on portal pictures obsolet because it is related to pokemon gyms?

Usually you vote for a foto you like, so it gets to be the portal picture. Here in this area are usually 3 to 6 votes on a portal picture, not many more. Now that its linked to gym creation, pogo-players starts battles to creat their favorit gym with suddenly 40+ votes on portal pictures. That makes that system for ingress implausible and ridicolous.

Comments

• Another example of how 1 of the games shouldn't impact another.

I don't mind them sharing a poi database.

But something in one game shouldn't affect something in another.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

There should be a in-game vote system inside pokemon or the right community to choose this. There is a lot of gyms in weird locations just because the portal had more pictures or votes. A portal with more pictures and likes doesn't mean it is a safe place or good to support dozens of people during raids. Most of the case just meant that previous pictures are bad and agent took a better one.

Poi in green areas should have the priority to became gyms.

• NelkonNelkon ✭✭✭

I see that in can be harmful to the game that the creation of gyms is linked to the votes on the portal pictures.

But I think faction battles over a "green" or "blue" portal picture are a lot more common. They are a greater threat to what John Hanke refers to the "Intellectual Property" of Niantic: The list of POI and the meta data around them. Good pictures make the game a lot more enjoyable while following the claim "Let's go out and play".

That said I cannot see how Niantic could prevent this. The quality of a picture is hard to measure by an algorithm. That's why they rely on user generated votes. So using this numbers as a hint for the interest of players being concerned of a special place over another is a rather clever move. This is a "static" number that can be read by the algorithms without referring to historical data as hacks, captures or another value.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm failing to see the problem here. Probably a problem in your local community. In my we do kinda battle over it, by trying to take the better picture!

• It's true, battles over a picture do happen, but are really a minor thing, rarely happens here AND it's ingress related done by real agents playing the game. But the sudden appearance of 40+ votes are definetly not ingress related and not made by "real" agents.

• NelkonNelkon ✭✭✭

@Hydraulinski wrote:

In my we do kinda battle over it, by trying to take the better picture!

That's what Niantic designed the voting system for and I'm rather sure that there are a lot of agents who don't look on the photographer's faction but the overall impression of the picture.

Then there are these nice battles over portals that are illuminated by night and some of the light changes contain a green or blue version. I fully understand why you want to have a special landmark in your factions color.

Here are two examples where obviously the picture's quality wasn't the main reason for the votes: photos.app.goo.gl/nApQ9JvX2bbZRfdE6

But I have to admit that these tend to be local exceptions. I submitted several portal pictures that I took with a mirrorless cam on a tripod or a drone. Most of them are very well appreciated throughout the communities and get kind votes.