What didn't you do before Ingress?

vidiconvidicon ✭✭✭✭✭

I know several people who got on their first plane or travelled internationally for the first time because of Ingress. I got on a bike for the first time since childhood because of Ingress. What did Ingress inspire you to do?

Comments

• PongolynPongolyn ✭✭✭

I didn't think much about the importance of security or privacy before Ingress.

• SonicgottSonicgott ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

I never truly got to see more areas of Minnesota, where I live. Exploration is more common for me, now.

• PangarbanPangarban ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, so many great responses. I'm enjoying this thread!

Here are some repeats from above, but these are things that have really changed in my life:

• Discovering the history behind buildings and monuments in the towns around where I live (to make them good portal candidates)
    • Travelling long distances to join group events with strangers
    • Wandering into dodgy looking places at night
    • Thanks to OPR I've learnt what a ha-ha is, and the relative rarity of different types of UK postboxes

Here are two things that Ingress hasn't changed, but enhanced:

• Exploration. I've always like getting in the car and visiting a city or town I've never been to, just to wander about. Now, I wander about with a bit more purpose. This is one of the things that made me get addicted to Ingress.
    • Looking at maps. I've always liked examining maps for interesting things. Another thing that caused me to get into Ingress. Now, of course, I'm looking for unique visits, fielding opportunities, or potential portal candidates.
  • PangarbanPangarban ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

Wow, so many great responses. I'm enjoying this thread!

Some of these are repeats from above, but they are things that have made an impact in my lifestyle:

- Discovering the history behind buildings and monuments in the towns around where I live (to make them good portal candidates)

- Travelling long distances to join group events with strangers.

- Wandering into dodgy looking places at night

- Thanks to OPR I've learnt what a ha-ha is, and the relative rarity of different types of UK postboxes.

Here are some things that Ingress hasn't changed, but enhanced:

- Exploration. I've always like getting in the car and visiting a city or town I've never been to, just to wander about. Now, I wander about with a bit more purpose. This is one of the things that made me get addicted to Ingress.

- Looking at maps. I've always liked examining maps for interesting things. Another thing that caused me to get into Ingress. Now, of course, I'm looking for unique visits, fielding opportunities, or potential portal candidates.

• CesparCespar ✭✭✭

Talk to and meet as many new people. Ingress helped a lot with confidence for me, meeting new people in my town within a few days of starting to play, my first farm with 10+ players, going to gamescom for work and talking to a random person wearing an ingress t-shirt.

It's taken me many more places I'd probably never had travelled too :)

• wikkedimpwikkedimp ✭✭✭

I never had the courage to just walk up to complete strangers and talk to them before Ingress. Now, I'm still nervous, but I'm not as afraid to say "Hi." I forced myself to walk across a bridge I would never have dared to in the past. I started writing more, putting my thoughts out there for the world to see and judge.

• jkg5150jkg5150 ✭✭✭

10,000 daily steps.

• Explore the area. I was in the Navy stationed here in Annapolis from 2010 to 2013. Didn't know much about the place I now live in until I started playing.

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien ✭✭✭✭✭

Take 3 hours to drive 5km.

• I'd never gotten a "why are your friends so weird" from my family before I joined 😆

...leading quickly to my first "we don't want you hanging out with a bad crowd"...

...which in turn led quickly to my first time lying about where I was going and what I was doing.