Retired Badges

canon07canon07 ✭✭✭

Wondering if and when the retired badges might come back?

The Seer Badge seems like it would be an easy one to reactivate, not sure why it even went away? The fear that pursuit of a badge would lead people to submit lame candidates? Letting Pokemon players start submitting (not to mention players of all levels back in the day) did more to open the floodgates of bad subs than the Seer badge ever did. Things have stabilized now, bring back the Seer Badge.

Recruiter. Okay so the only people who really ever got very far on this badge were usually bot lords. That said, judging from the drop in active players, this one coming back seems like it would be useful. We need more people in the game. I get that it's probably a pain to reimplement. But if we got a list of codes we could share with friends we recruit, maybe that would be a way to bring this one back?

Guardian. OK. Hear me out on this one. A lot of people lost interest in this game when hunting went away. Guardian was the one badge you could actively deny the other team. It added another dimension to Ingress. It also made a lot of people mad, it generated a lot of hurt feelings, it created a whole lot of tears on both sides. But if Guardian was a badge you had to opt into getting, you had to sign a disclosure that says among other things, you may be hunted, people may use data to find your portals, people will try to deny you this badge, it's not easy and if you agree to play the Guardian game, you acknowledge these things and give up your right to whine. You also agree to have some sort of mark on your profile that indicates you are playing the Guardian game and that way everybody knows who's playing and who's not.

I, for one, would love to start the guardian game over again and I know I'm not alone. If it's optional and people are well informed as to what they're getting into, why not?

Thoughts?

Comments

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Seer i want bring back somehow, not sure why they removed it ? all was okayish before pogo players could submit portals... guardian oh no dont get me started.. the most toxic badge ever.. nothing good or positive ever came out of that.... only spoofers and cheaters that hunted other players portals... glad its gone and hoping it never comes back.

• EngrishEngrish ✭✭✭✭

@canon07 Seer was removed because of the numerous amounts of non-criteria submissions when Ingress went live. I'm sure if you've been on wayfarer you could see when the Pokeplayers got access all the fake submissions rolling in. That happened when Ingress came out of beta and everyone wanted everything to be a portal. That in turn overloaded NIA (they were the only ones reviewing submissions) and the approval process went from a month to 2 years plus of waiting (or with many old players still have some lost in limbo from 2014). Many complained about how long it took to have portals reviewed and NIA turned off the incentive. It was turned off in 2016 (I think) and switched over to the new system that's doesn't come with a badge which is funny because we have a review system that comes with one.

I wish they would bring guardian back but they won't. I liked it because of its the only badge you could prevent another agent from owning. I would systematically clear areas to **** long standing portals. I have had many portals spoofed because they were guardians but in the end I got many before they shut that badge down. With it down I wish they would bring back the "Portal Owned" date stamp they used to have on intel back in beta times.

• canon07canon07 ✭✭✭

That's why I think it should be opt-in only. A lot of people enjoyed the hunting aspect of the game, some people hated it. Some people shrugged off spoofers and intel scrapers, and kept trying. For others, those things enraged them so much they couldn't see straight. So for you, keep it turned off. For those who enjoyed the game within a game, we would get to keep at it.

• canon07canon07 ✭✭✭

Oh yeah, I totally remember when I was a lowly level 4 or 5 Ingress agent back in 2015 and could submit all the portals I liked. I submitted my fair share of lame portals too. I tried hard to get something within a few blocks of my house. They all got shot down and rightfully so. However, I know better now, and keeping subs open to only very high level players I think is the biggest reason the lame stuff has diminished.

They really should make people review before they can submit as well. That would go much further towards improving the quality than anything else. If you know how to review, you'll know how to submit, while the inverse is not true.

It's always been people wanting stops or portals in their front yard that drives the worst submissions. It never was the badge making bad submissions happen. So why not bring it back now that the lame stuff has thinned out?

• cheatchcheatch ✭✭✭

I'd like to see seer comeback but with a different unique name so can be more follow-able on social media

• Definitely need a badge motivating more and unique nominations.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Seer is the only one that can come back right now. It's problem is already fixed. There's absolutely no excuses to bring it back anymore.

The other two are just cheater baits.

Whoever the recruiter function and counter can comeback, easier, being able to invite with Facebook and other media, being able to input agent name or email who invited you. And the guardian could came back with other name, and using the "portals owned" (now) counting, either counting up the maximum portal you owned at same time, or working as "easy guardian" and you will lost if it reach zero for a day (so even if targeted by cheater, you still have chances to recapture something that day).

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

how about a recycler badge ? that would be fun..

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

My only issue with Seer was 5000 as onyx. It just wasn't practical. I think one agent reached it but a lot of very hard working agents were usually around Platinum which was 500 or had Gold which was 200. The 500 approvals seemed more realistic as a plateau for onyx.

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think we should have one like Seer again, it could cause another OPR traffic jam of low quality nominations.

I would LOVE to have gaurdian back though. I never attempted it until a few months before they pulled it. Was a few days away from Plat. Even with the spoofers and brokers, there were ways to capture portals without it showing on the intel map.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been a while submitting nominations that I forgot about the 14 submissions every 13 days. I think this is where it was hard for Niantic to gauge the future of the Seer badge when OPR was a completely new chapter. (Seer also involved an unlimited number of submissions.) It would be interesting to some stats of "Portals Discovered" after the submissions returned in September 2017.

There's already a traffic jam of low quality nominations and edits without having a medal today.

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

it does not need motivation, there are already more submissions than wayfarer can absorb

• EngrishEngrish ✭✭✭✭

@MoogModular and @Hydraulinski we had a guy here in Vegas who made it to platinum before the turn off and he didn't submit bad quality. He did kinda rage quit because of the Seer removal.

• canon07canon07 ✭✭✭

I'd be surprised if the badge did anything to the number of submissions good or bad. By the time you can even submit, you should already be fairly well on your way to getting the badges you need to advance, and the numbers it takes to get a black badge are so out of reach, a Seer badge isn't going to factor into getting to Level 16.

Low quality submissions are, for the most part, inexperienced people sending in things they want as couch portals or couch PokeStops. The best way to reduce low quality subs is to make people review and maintain a high Wayfairer rating before they can submit instead of after.

I'm really sad because I started playing just after the seer removal / portal submission. Few months earlier and I would probably reached gold and highly populated my city.

And I agree with @canon07, doubt that the seer was the motivation of the problem. Old portals in my city were all badmaded.

• I review 2 noms and i get no more noms to review message. I think the backlogs have cleared and wayfarer is feeling fresh and empty.

• canon07canon07 ✭✭✭

I think a lot of this depends on where you are and where you set your bonus area. I set my bonus area to NYC and haven't ever run out of portals to review.

• How many do you review in a day? And if that is the case then NIA needs to increase radius of nominations incoming.

• totally agree, i think it was an error to let pogo players to submit POIs before having the option to review, a lot of duplicate portals or even portals that had been in review for years approved first to a pogo player and then losing a Seer point for that, backlog must be cleared before letting new submissions

• canon07canon07 ✭✭✭

Love this discussion!

• TheAuraStormTheAuraStorm ✭✭✭✭

Seer is an awesome badge, but is a bonkers amount for Onyx, even for Platinum is a challenge. It would be increasingly more difficult to to pursue with more candidates added to the network, there’s going to be nothing else to sub.

Not to mention the floodgate or utter tripe from the PoGo community, things that I turned my nose at for being low quality candidates, like generic welcome to XXXX town signs are getting through nowadays.

I can’t see Seer being brought back as it was and working perfectly. But as the game as evolved, so can it. If the badge was for contributions to the network, excluding Wayfarer reviews, but for title / description improvements, additional photos, correct location placement, that could definitely work, with the numbers tweaking to an appropriate figure.

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

wouldnt take much new subs are already adding to a stat :-)

This will reward all those abuse edits too...

Would be nice if get -1 for each suggestion refused too.

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

it's not, i still have 80+ in queue.

And that's one month after nearly everyone stopped playing/submitting

Post edited by Khatre on
  • seer back is more realistic

• Id love a change at the guardian badge 😭

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

I support this.

Seer badge would only possible to unlock once agent has reached minimum level required to submit new POIs, therefore I see no impact in the game. And it has become crystalclear that the badge was never the problem.

Recruiter badge can come back too, specially now, but recruitment system needs a full rework before that and I'd also stablish a level requirement aswell. Many recruitments where lost because of how malfunctioning and easy to miss the system was. As per the comment about cheat-bait, ok, why not using it as a cheat-bait? I find real easy to identify bad actors who reach gold tier by cheating, even easier than tracking shopped items, so... I'd do it.

About the Guardian: everything that was said here is 100%. I would like to add that one of the main reasons of it's removal was to strike shops and somehow reduce the black market since you could pay for a monthly sub to just give away a player list and collect tears later. I'm ok with that one out, but hunters miss the hunt, that's why Invite you to check this thread.

The way I see it, Ingress was a better game years ago. Recovering certain aspects that have been lost is the right way to go, but experience MUST be applied from all mistakes made, which means MISTAKES MUST BE RECOGNICED and that is not, given the VG feedback, what is going on nowadays.