Covid-19 and ingress prime

I want to leave a suggestion. in these three quarantine months, Niantic could increase its range to 100 meters away.

In this way, it would help when interacting with the portal. Please look and think about this alternative. Thanks.

♣️♦️♠️♥️

Comments

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

well thats hard with portal scanning live and double r8 deploys.... and compared to pogo ingress doesnt really have much u can do sit home, recharge portals? how fun is that ??... we need some mini-games or whatever....

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

What you value the most? Your family (including you) health and safety or the urge of playing a game?

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a whole world outside of Ingress...

Either that or you can focus on a specific medal in the game and make an event out of that.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if the range was Increased to 100m I still wouldn't be even be able to hack from home.

Wayfarer is being actively used. However it is also showing that there is still a significant group of D's that are actively exploiting Wayfarer and rejecting excellent nominations. Therefore to not risk being thrown into the red again by these D's I've stopped doing Wayfarer

It is a MASSIVE problem.

Thankfully in my country we can still go for a walk, which we do and do a bit of Ingress while we are at it

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

no its not.. it doesnt give any ingress fun since udont even need to have the scanner open.. dull......

• GobiasGobias ✭✭✭

We're allowed to go out for exercise here so I've been playing a bit of PoGo on my walks recently. I find that extending the range of the gyms significantly reduces time which might otherwise have been spent loitering at one spot, which is not good for social distancing.

I think being able to hack and deploy mods from longer range (60m?) might have a similar effect in Ingress - for those who can/are playing, the more you can do without having to slow down or stop the better I would think.

• I agree. Going for a walk is great. If you can play in your own town and neighborhood. People are driving all over still. I really think they should pick a time and stop everything except hacking and charging. This will keep people in their own towns. If your governor says driving is for grocery shopping/food pick up, medical and checking on relatives that means driving around playing a video game should be banned.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ghosty5 That is a matter of local law and local law enforcement. It's not Niantic's job to enforce the law.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

no but they could do stuff that encourages ppl to stay home, double r8 and increase hack output isnt such a good idea imo...

• XJL310XJL310 ✭✭✭

I understand your (and others') concern, no matter for or against it, but technically things might go complicated if you were the policy maker.

Niantic has already implemented lots of changes for Ingress, Pkmg and HPWU, intended to encourage players to stay at home by (in general) reducing the cost of playing, such as the effort neede to gather certain amount of resource. This decrease the relative cost of the game.

However, just a very preliminary knowledge from the ECON 1 class: microeconomics, this creates income effect and substitution effect, and the aggregate effect is ambiguous. Think about the following cases:

--Alice: "The game is easier now. Thanks to the Niantic, I don't have to meet with friends and hack farm portal frequently any more. I can play less and stay at home!"

--Bob: "The game is easier now. I shall seize the opportunity for farming/leveling/portal controlling, just go out and play more!"

So, as you may see, same policy may cause totally opposite results. It is ultimately determined by we ourselves, i.e., how to balance the quarantine and recreation, not by the game changes from Niantic.

• I'm just saying that if they turned off everything except hacking and charging what incentive would players have to travel to other towns. They could stay in their neighborhood and play. No need to go ****, cap or field if they can't.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah lol if they turned off ability to link field or **** down stuff and u only could recharge and hack then nobody would need go to out yea..

• Life is more important, stay at home

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

should i tell that to one local enl player that plays 7 hours/day all week long? even said in comm he was half-sick.... great judgment in corona times be out playing nonstop then......

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't worry about what other people are doing outside of quarantine.

• As others have said, we are each responsible for our own actions. You could drive yourself insane worrying about what others are doing, but their resulting actions will probably be no different. On the other hand, "essential workers" still travel for work. People still go to grocery stores, etc. There are legitimate reasons to be out of the home, all of which are legal. Now, let's consider that a person decides to go to travel for a legal reason, but takes the "ingress route" along the way; if that person remains in their vehicle, then there is no contact with others, and social distancing orders are obeyed.

There are bigger things to worry about than who is out playing ingress. It literally does not matter today, and certainly will not matter in a month, so do yourself a favor and don't worry about it.

• BR4510BR4510 ✭✭

there are people who are sadly confined at home, and need to go out and walk. so playing tickets on the home block is good. and is good for health