Portal Decay

ClutterCutterClutterCutter ✭✭✭
edited April 2020 in General

I play in an area with no opposition. By slowing decay, you have just slowed any further fielding by agents in my community because there is nobody to destroy the fields currently standing. Many of us play for exercise or alone in a car- maintaining social distance rules. Please reconsider this decision. My community is dwindling as is - this is not a welcome change.

Tagged:

Comments

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe that's the right moment to release a mod to increase decay! Common to 20% faster, rare to 50% and vr to increase by 70%.

• hiryuhiryu ✭✭✭

Or a mod to decrease decay, for putting on remote portals.

I agree with the OP; this is a very unfortunate change. Portal decay is the only way I've had anything to do lately.

• caderouxcaderoux ✭✭✭

I agree, we really could do better with demand-side economics here instead of supply-side economics. Giving easier recharge gives players a choice. Fixed recharge rates gives players little say in affecting the playing field.

Ingress is about shaping your world, not having it shaped for you. Please reconsider this change to the game economy.

• Need mods to increase decays would be greatly appreciated

how about increase jarvis/ada hack rates?

• VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the real answer is to have more players to encourage turnover. I'm one of the last players of my faction left in my area. The game has become very stale. If it wasn't for the recursion option I would have given up long ago. But even that isn't enough. Waiting for decay is boring.

• SouLPrison3rSouLPrison3r ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Tbh, i don't really understand the logic behind reducing the reduction of decay rate. If anything the should have increased it so everyone would have had enough to recharge. I mean you still have to recharge twice a day. But now there's not enough decay, so you cannot recharge ... so you have to depend on hacking a portal...

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

so in your area u want want, 50% more decay ? how is this nia fault nobody plays in your towns.... ghost town is not much to do....

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

This is a good move. Encourage people to be out less. Consolidate your one trip out to get food with topping off the portals you shop at regularly.

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure you can recharge. You can recharge one portal at least once a day - because it still decays, just not by as much. You can do it on fewer cubes too, so you don't need to go out hacking as much. If you want to recharge twice a day: still possible if you have two portals, or one portal with at least two resonators. Personally I have dozens and dozens - trust me I am not going to run out of portals to recharge...

• SouLPrison3rSouLPrison3r ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Multiple agents own keys to a single portal. Many times they recharge before i get to recharge.

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

Then it sounds like you may need to have a group discussion and allocate a portal to everyone. :-)

• 15% was perfect to do a round through the city once a week. But now the agents will go to the next city and build there fields, so nothing with stay at home. With 5 % i will do bigger routes. No problem for me, but in the time with corona....

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

u can always flips some portals and re-field it otherwise.... no matter what they do its hard to a solution that makes everyone happy.. that will never happen sadly...

• KonnTowerKonnTower ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a better solution than decreasing decay rates would be to modify how much XM it takes to recharge portals. Let folks in non-competitive areas keep their normal decay, but make it cost less to recharge all portals. Same outcome, more options.

I'm sure they already have a working script to modify the decay rate though, that's likely why they chose that route.

• rabe9876rabe9876 ✭✭
    edited April 2020

Decreased decay rate will just encourage players to increase their gaming area for fielding. This kind of motivation for people to be more outside at wider distances may not be that good these days.

Instead of decreased decay Niantic may increase XM efficiency for recharging. Same effect. Game still playable. Ingress will not survive when players need to wait for 3 weeks to have an opportunity to build a field.

• RU001RU001 ✭✭

Decrease portal decay is definitely killing gameplay but I guess that's the point with the virus around. Personally not a fan

• But, when will it end.... both 2xR8/R7 deploy and decay are ruining the game

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree.... i kinda want the old decay rates back..... i burn alot of cubes because i have not much to recharge now....

• There will be no one left to destroy it either if we stick to the 15% decay. For players in bigger cities with some agents left it is insanely frustrating to see portals decaying. Why on earth should I travel to a smaller town with only neutral portals if don't even got enough cubes to recharg my home town?? Its a waste of time to take over a city that will be neutral again a week later. In big cities, even whole areas decay few miles away. Surely they were blue or green before but it is impossible to maintain it.

There is a limit of portals that a single player can maintan and the limit depends on hack output. For instance, I take care of about 700 portals and atm I am owner of about 1000. Glyphpoints per week around 30k and 30kk recharge per week. I am just hacking for mods and cubes and rest gets recyceled for xm/inventory space. I'd liked to capture neutral areas or visit suburbs or whatever, but its just a waste of time since its all GONE next week.

So many people stopped playing and half of the city is rotten. Just check the intel if some smaller cities. Is it neutral because nobody was ever there? Someone shot it neutral? No, it decayed, and thats a shame.

I dont get the point of decay anyway. If there really people outside constantly rebuilding their own ****: give them a nondroppable flip mod of common type @NianticBrian

Most people want to see their home town stable and, Mr Clutter, you'll never see them in your town... They are busy with the fight against decay! Crystal clear that the silly fight against the game designers will end at some point.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

You realise this post was made almost a year ago?...

• TunkelTunkel ✭✭
    edited February 2021

Yes, but I used the search function... Topic name was just... Matching well :)

And forget again the idea of another flip mod or decay adjustment mod... Its all exploitable by cheaters and team killer.

Instead, introduce an ingame function for decay rate of own resonators. People enjoying rebuild may set it to 40%. And people like me may set it to 1%. Maybe even 0. So if I travel to neutral ground I can ensure that my work stays as is until attack without horting keys and **** XM.

It's easy to implement, all you need is another check: if its time for decay, do a join on resonator owners to grab their unique rate, done.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

And then we'd have to specifically ask people to set higher decay rate when we want their portal to drop, instead lf just recharging 2 resos as a signal for "don't recharge this portal plz".

Can't know when exactly portals will drop to prepare crossing links or make a big field as soon as possible.

Can't know when those portals in a remote city will get grey to visit and capture it for uniques.

No thanks.