There should be a harsher punishment for lazy reviewers

Hello everybody,

This problem has existed for years, but it has aggravated a lot recently to the point of making me feel like this deserves a discussion surrounding "Lazy reviewers".

We all know them... people who tag submissions as duplicate if it has even a hint of being similar to an already existing portal (Exercise machines are the most recurrent offender), people who use presets to quickly get their evaluation done or the worst kind of people who (most probably) only look at the picture and the title and make their decisions off of that information, ignoring vital information from the supporting statement/photo.

My tipping point was today, when I got back the review for a church in my local village that got tagged as a duplicate of the cross which is in front of the church. I can see that the pictures can be seen as similar, but if you take a few seconds to evaluate correctly (which you always should), you could have easily distinguished the two things.

As a community we can't do much about it. We can appeal players of our local community to be more responsible, but in the end this isn't going to be resolved without Niantic doing some changes in the form of more severe punishment or changing the system to make it less possible or impossible to be a lazy reviewer.

What do you guys think? Is there any solution that I'm not seeing? Am I the only one suffering from this problem?

Comments

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

This might be a dumb question, but is the portal for the Cross that is "in front of the church" really close to the church?

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

There should be a harsher punishment for submitters, actually. Especially for the ones who try to game the system.

I assure you that it isn't just one or two guys who review it, so if the majority believe that this was duplicated, it probaly was, or at least fit as close as it. If you was intentionally gaming it, you should't complain. If you honestly belive its valid, try again, but do a bit research, maybe that wasn't valid.

Exercise machine usually are just one valid point, don't submit every single one, submit the entire zone. It's like a playground, a swing and a slide aren't two portal, are just one. Its rare to have two equal zones in the same park.

• FuzzySunFuzzySun ✭✭✭

OP is correct but has slayed half of the forum so is unlikely to get much agreement.

• Exercise machines were originally "submit once for the entire set, not for every station" when OPR was first launched. In recent months it's changed to "individual exercise stations are allowed so long as they're far away from each other" which changes things a little.

Lazy submitters, lazy reviewers, and shifting review guidance are ALL issues within Wayfarer.

• ReinforcedBlueReinforcedBlue ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

I review lot lesser portals than what I used to do before Wayfarer. Why? Because majority of today's submission and review is BS.

Valid submissions including Sports Arena, Courts, Statues gets rejected. Reason I get are hard to digest: K-12 School, Restaurants, Private Residence etc. I'm not angry because my portals gets rejected, but what disgusts me is that pokemon Go players unite to approve FAKE couch portals. I have nothing against Niantic, but the system.

Needless to say that both the quality of submission and review as a whole is not the same anymore.

Post edited by ReinforcedBlue on
  • It's in front of the church, but at more than 20 meters distance to not fall within the submission radius.

It's valid and has been approved the second time I submitted it. Exercise machines can be submitted individually if they are far apart, as has been referenced in this forum. About gaming the system... I know it happens and I can admit i'm not the most "clean" submitter, but reviewers also take the guidelines to whole new realms of interpretation making approval more difficult than it should in many cases.

What do you mean by slayed half of the forum?

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Please share pictures of the places to get better opinions.

• FuzzySunFuzzySun ✭✭✭

Slayed half of the forum meaning some of the people reading your comment are doing exactly what you said.