Bug: Portal Scanning “Upload Later” is user hostile

Device: Pixel 4

App Version: 2.41.4

To begin with, there is no indication of how much data is waiting to be uploaded. Once you tap “Start”, there is no progress bar, only a spinning triangle of doom. There is apparently no way to pause the upload process or put it in the background so that you can do other things, because attempting to leave the screen results in a threat that everything will be canceled.

Comments

• Don't cancel that upload, or you'll never get another chance.

#wasteoftime #wasteofdata

• YveliusNightYveliusNight ✭✭
    edited March 2020

It can also happen that while uploading with WiFi the Scanner freeze, no interaction possible. You have to terminate the scanner app and restart the upload again and again

And even when the upload is successful, no AR portal scan is counted

Post edited by YveliusNight on
  • 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

And even when the upload is successful, no AR portal scan is counted

That happened to me today.

I had 40 in the stat. I went out and scanned stuff. I went home and uploaded stuff successfully. Now I have 40 in the stat. Niantic why did you have to break it?? It was working these Wednesday and Friday!

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people from my community say that today the upload works again, but I still have 40 in the stat. Looks like I wasted time for nothing with yesterday scans.

• maRschinemaRschine ✭✭✭

This is really annoying. This happens a lot. Today I did 3 scans. Upload took half a century and in the end the counter did go +1 instead of +3. And this was not the first time that happened. 😥

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

Works good for me on S10+ with Exynos and Android 10

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

just because u did 3 uploads doesnt mean all 3 are valid.. i did over 70 so far and almost 15 didnt count for some reason.. and u dont get any info why or which portals didnt count.... bad lightning? too fast movement, to close? who knows..... i unlocked the medal now i can stop doing this....

• grsmhikergrsmhiker ✭✭✭

Just curious, are you getting any indication that a scan is rejected because of quality? The only error message I've ever seen is the upload failed one, and as far as I can tell it has nothing to do with the content of the scan itself.

I even tried standing in one spot, barely moving the phone, and as long as enough frames have been recorded the scan still encodes and uploads. The only quality check I've found so far is that there's a minimum number of frames required: try to tap the stop button too quickly, and the scanner keeps recording until the scan is long enough.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

No nothing... u only get if it uploaded ok or if it says upload failed.. u dont get any feedback input why it didnt count for the medal....

• simurghsimurgh ✭✭✭

Isn't just whether it uploaded or not count as credit toward the stat? When would a judgement call be incorporated as to the quality of the scan? My counts go up immediately after an upload.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

There's no judgement for scans. Nobody reviews them. Although I do agree they should've done some kind of validation so that I'm not allowed to send trash, but I think the amount of disturbing false positives would be enormous.

• I havent managed to send a single scan. App crashes every time and yeah you’re right about the upload later implementation. I kept thinking it couldn’t be this bad intentionally but i guess they really designed it to be this way and its not a bug

• So background upload works for immediate upload.. But upload later when I am on Wi-Fi has to be in foreground? And never finishes before the screen locks ?

#pleaseputitinthebackground!

Thanks

• Agreed it needs some indication of how many scans it needs to upload and how many are left to do. Preferably with size indication.

A background upload feature would be nice, too. No idea how long my iPhone sat there uploading.

• edited April 2020

Background encoding and background upload should both be added to their roadmap, if they're not already. Encoding can take 45 seconds or more on large scans and I feel silly standing around a statue for 10 minutes at a time just because I want to get multiple scans.

Also, if possible, allowing the user to keep recording and breaking longer recordings into multiple scans. So if the length of a scan is limited to 10 seconds, the user should be able to record for 15 and have that be broken down into 2 separate scans.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not true. I've done it multiple times and it still uploads everything if I go back and start over.