Pandemic social distancing and sojourner stats

HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

Niantic games encourage us to go out into the world and explore. Right now that's less of a good idea, and some people really aren't able to go out right now. In a serious health situation Ingress is certainly less of a priority.

Has Niantic considered a mechanism by which people can retain their sojourner count during the outbreak? People sometimes go to great lengths for this game, and I'd hate for someone to catch or spread the virus simply because they were at day 353 and didn't want to start from scratch.

Comments

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Why? This just making the medal even more adventurous and thrilling!

• StranditStrandit ✭✭✭

I think this would be a good idea. Yes, rational people will place their health and the health of others over sojourner. However, not everyone is rational and a measure like this could reduce the number of irrational people who take unwise risks.

It's not a hugely significant change, but given that every little bit helps, I'd do it if it's technically possible.

• NineBerryNineBerry ✭✭✭✭✭

They could just abolish the badge as they did with the Guardian badge 😈

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, cute. The asterisks in the previous comment are a word that resembles the small crustacean named krill, only with one letter missing.

• Personally I wouldn't stop playing even if it was the zombie apocalypse out there, it would just make things more challenging and exciting😁 But if you're worried about infecting others use a face mask etc, people should equip and behave properly in order to play.

• I am close to finally get to Onyx sojo, I dont care if there is a pademia out, I have several portals that I created near of my house, I just have to get to one on car or walk, its not like I am gonna die. I have to work anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Of course. To hack a portal it's crucial and necessary to interact and coff in the face of dozens of people, right? You need to take like 4 buses to reach the closest portal?

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

funny in pokemon go now u can buy for 1 coin 30 incenses... to help spawn if u stay home,, do we in ingress get something? like cubes or anything to help charge portals because we dont want go out as much ???

• Then people will complain because they have no keys lol

• kamilus83kamilus83 ✭✭✭

I'm polish guy in Florida right now and know from friends and family that situation in Poland is really bad for ingress players.

For sure after coming back I get quarantined and there are two possibilities:

1. Home quarantine. Ok I have home portals. No problem for ME. But not everyone has home portal like me.
    2. Hospital quarantine. In this case I can't use electronic devices.

So yeah. NIA extended sojourner one in September so they are able to do it again. And they should. Just to avoid irresponsible people going to play because they think it's just a flu (no it is not!). **** just hit the fan in USA and I think things gonna collapse here next week just like they did in Europe.

What they did on September?

They could lock the count, preventing people for loosing it after just a day, but I don't think is fair to give free days counting up. Let's say one hack a month being enough to keep the current points, but those who are still free to go outside can keep increasing.

• I am on 337 days on my sojo, looking for black on Pascua, Last times I lost it for no having car and having to walk a kilometer, I did my best back then, but one day I just was so tired and lose it. I learned my lesson so I sent a lot fo portal near of my house, closes is 30-40 meters away. If they "lock" the counter, people in my situation, may have some other troubles when they restar the counter and could lose it.

Its a good idea advance the counter with recharge

• kamilus83kamilus83 ✭✭✭

It will be just enough to stop reset for this pandemic situation. My country just closed airports so I can't come back home until I take risk and travel to another European country and then travel by car somehow. But in this scenario I will be locked down in isolation for 10 or 14 days. This situation is getting really serious. There is no martial law in USA. For NOW. But you know. Nobody who wears no aluminium hats predicted that Europe will close borders and stay strict quarantine.

• kiloecholimakiloecholima ✭✭✭✭✭

Not related to sojourner but one thing Niantic could do is put free cubes in the store. This would help keep agents from having to spend extra time in public farming for cubes, and could help any agents who get sick/quarantined from losing long standing/durable/strategic portals.

• Yes our health must come above all. Noone is to disagree on that one. But IMHO, perhaps they don't really care if someone who is forbidden by law in his country to go outside, loses his sojourner or run out of cubes while having to recharg portals that he/she spended lots of time and money to go and captures and use them for future operations etc.

Well it's not a secret that they don't make enough money from us playing this game. Their other gold mining games, have already received several adjustions, in order to make it easier for people who are 'locked up' in their houses, to able to play on them.

And then they wonder why more and more people, quit on playing ingress.

• Free cubes or/and slow down/stop portal decay in affected areas.

• Well, we did get the increased chance of hacking a virus a month ago...

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

In HPWU, something happens every day just by opening the game. I think that would be a good interim mechanism for Ingress until that chaos blows over. It would stop people form making unnecessary trips just for the game. It wouldn't help people who are unable to access their phones because they are sick but hopefully that is a very small number of people.

• mspiratemspirate ✭✭✭

I hope Niantic can address the sojourner badge, since we are now living in a time and circumstance beyond our control. Wizards and Pogo have made provisions in light of current events. Why not Ingress?

The best solution if force ending it for everyone. 😈

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

retire it like guardian yes.. it has done its purpose by now, replace it with a new badge instead, like Seer.