What is it? Now required (sometimes)

AgentB0ssAgentB0ss ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2020 in Wayfarer (Archive)

As of today it appears that some reviews on the Wayfarer website require you to fill out the “What is it?” Section. The review will still says optional until you click Submit. If it’s required it will show you at the top of the review screen that it’s required similar to the below screenshot.

Tagged:

Comments

• AgentB0ssAgentB0ss ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticCasey Can you confirm this is a new intended feature? Will this eventually convert to all reviews or just pop up occasionally. If its intended to be occasional can it be added to let us know its required prior to hitting submit?

Important: Could the list of "What is it?" be updated? Currently the list is lacking for example a Picnic Pavilion at a park has no current option in the "What is it?" category.

• SF88SF88 ✭✭

I've just noticed this aswell.

• GendgiGendgi ✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing, @AgentB0ss. I haven't reviewed in a while since I'm typically afraid to get upgrades that may or may not be working.

I like the idea, and it could be used to coach and or flag bad acceptances, but last I remember there were several things listed on "what it this" that were specifically listed elsewhere as ineligible - and I've seen the argument that if you can choose it, it must be eligible.

I wonder if this has been posted elsewhere by Niantic? Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, Telegram? I don't follow social media so I rely on here. Just hoping to find out if it's intentional or another bug they'll tell us about in a few weeks, if ever.

• I just notice the same, it only apear when i put 5 starts.

• I recently started reviewing again.

If this is a new requirement, then I'm going to STOP reviewing again.

Just FYI.

• OchemistOchemist ✭✭✭

This is terrible — I’m not a speed reviewer and it will really slow me down. They are going to lose a lot of reviews and reviewers if they stick with it.

The implementation is dreadful too — hit submit turn get sent back to the top of the page then scroll down again, which makes it even slower.

• GlenuendoGlenuendo ✭✭✭✭

Yeah... So they need to remove the Optional tag from this as it is sometimes required.

• Hello!

Spanish website version, the error message says "! Requisitos" and you can't see what is the required field.

What is..? is marked as optional but if I refresh the page, this section change. Then, there are a list with 3 options. If one is blank, you can choose it and send the review. But if the three options are with some type of "What is...?" and is no option listed is correct, the page force you to choose one

Is it a validation problem?

PS: Sorry, I don't speak English...

• Yep. Went back to review stuff, hit this, spent much longer than I care to trying to find an appropriate category.

I'm out, if this is the future. I'll give Niantic some of my time to build their dataset for free, but this is more frustrating and slower than is worth it. Sorry.

• alt00064alt00064 ✭✭
    edited March 2020

yo creo que tambien dejare de evaluar... no es adelandor evaluar tanto, para que te rechacen una multicancha (como duplicada a cuadras de diferencia? y una sede social.. mas de 6k de revisiones mas casi 2.5 de acuerdos, no me importa colocar informacion adicional... pero veo que en mi area debe haber algun grupo organizado para negar mis POI

si decir ademas que tengo POI atrapados desde oct-nov

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

From all the complaints I have seen here and elsewhere, I am surprised at how few people actually input a selection into the What is It? category. I've been doing it since I started reviewing and still continue to do it 15,000+ reviews later. It only adds an extra second to the time it takes to review and adds information into the database that would probably benefit Niantic. Once you get the hang of it, you will instantly know what to categorise things as.

It's probably because so few people did it, that they are rolling it out to be a requirement on the whole.

• OchemistOchemist ✭✭✭

I used to do it always, but it really does slow things down, especially on a phone. With declining numbers of reviewers and a growing backlog, this is a dreadful time to try this experiment. It will drive some from reviewing completely and decrease the number of reviews remaining folks can do in a give. chunk of time. Plus the implementation slows things down even more. Just a terrible idea all around.

• laosblaosb ✭✭

I actually like this, if 1) the bug of showing up like optional and with no quick choices when it's really required this time and with quick choices and 2) include more common types of Wayspots so I can spend less time thinking about what category fit better.

• it didnt happen again today. i had this atrocity yesterday

• AgentB0ssAgentB0ss ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh its definitely still happening. Today users are reporting that it for some gives suggested what is it options.

• that is rather a good idea. i hope you can give us some answers on the other thread, too. thank you.

• GendgiGendgi ✭✭✭

Good to see answers on this. Perhaps the team can also work through removing some of the incorrect or misleading things listed? I also see "communications tower" and "cell tower" as options - I don't think we want that argument, again.

Also, adding more things that are eligible would be greatly appreciated, such as "community center(s)."

• is there a place where reviewers can request additional "what is it" categories?

• Roli112Roli112 ✭✭✭

@NianticCasey I agree with what Gendgi said above, this implementation seems to be broken and doesn't help that it just came out of the blue while other lingering issues like broken upgrades remain. The wayfarer community seems to be completely divided on many topics and this just adds more fuel to the fire right now. A little heads up or some sort of announcement goes a long way.

• I think it’s moronic to have a location as a portal for only one or two of Niantic’s games/platforms. It’s why people are losing interest in Ingress and it’s other games. Just dumb. Now they’re making it hard to review? Really?

• Roli112Roli112 ✭✭✭

With all do respect, how are people losing interest on the other games and what does this have to do with the new complains?

• OchemistOchemist ✭✭✭

@NianticCasey -- Given how much things are slowing down, this is a terrible, terrible idea.

• It will drive away some reviewers and there aren't enough as it is.
    • Those that remain will be able to do fewer reviews in the limited amount of time they have to review. This is in no way a good thing.
    • The categories are incomplete, inconsistent, and don't make a lot of sense in the context in which they are being used. They read like a list of various kinds of points of interest, and not like a list of eligible wayspots. Please revamp the list if you really must implement this bad idea.
    • You are likely to see a lot of people just type a few random characters in the box (just as some do for the "doesn't meet criteria" rejection reason). This won't help you, obviously.

Will the value you get from forcing this on reviewers really be worth it?

I used to always pick a category, but it became very tedious to constantly be manually typing "basketball court" and the like in my phone because it wasn't a preset option. When I stopped, reviewing became much smoother and faster. These days I regularly question why I should keep reviewing at all given the overall submission quality and the things I see go through that objectively shouldn't (and these cost me agreements). I do do it out of a sense of duty; if I submit, I should do my share of reviewing. I don't want this to be the straw that breaks my back, but it might well be.