Portal - Childrens Hospital Playground

This one kind of threw me for a loop. It is a private playground only accessible to CHILDREN who are currently receiving hospital care (well and employees + visitors of course).

Part of me wants to 1* it (same reason I would 1* any portal located on a school yard or kids camp).

But part of me wants to 5* it (it IS a playground, plus idea that a sick kid could play while bedridden).

Thoughts?

Tagged:

Comments

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭

Oof this is a subjective one. If it’s not in a place that’s blocking emergency services, it would depend if the hospital only allows minors to play in it or if there is adult supervision by the parents allowed. Supporting info says 17 and under but I can’t read the support photo.

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭

My personal opinion would be to accept it, its not going to be in the way of emergancy services, and kids in hospital would enjoy a pokestop, portal, fortress etc.

• GendgiGendgi ✭✭✭

The issue isn't the potential of blocking emergency services, the issue is that it is a building primarily intended for use of children, such as a school.

I kind of want to err on assuming it should be rejected for k-12 (similar to most Boy/Girl Scout buildings gathering locations), but I honestly think it should be eligible.

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticCasey , any chance we can have some kind of official view on this ? I can see it being a very borderline yes/no case for most reviewers

• McMaster is a major hospital for major children medical issues, they even have their own private helicoptor pads + access to the University for hospital research.

I am having issues with access as well; it is for children 17 and under. Yes families can access but by that same extension, families can access school grounds right? Visiting is not same thing as having true access.

This one I am very torn on, I usually am one of the more opinionated agents :)

• JSteve0JSteve0 ✭✭✭

This is acceptable to me as long as it is able to be confirmed that the playground is open to families and not some part of a daycare operation.

• SF88SF88 ✭✭

If it's anywhere near a hospital building where emergency services would need access reject it is obstruction.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Its a hospital, so no, not acceptable.

You don't have to be in the middle of the ambulance entrance/exits to be obstruct emergency services. Any person near anywhere an hospital that doesn't need care or it's not suposed to be there is a possible obstacle and not welcome there.

and kids in hospital would enjoy a pokestop

They can enjoy the playground.

• TWVerTWVer ✭✭

If you would be obstructing emergency services by being there, they would not have built a playground there. Being inside a hospital does not change that.

K-12 only counts for places where you leave your kids in someone elses care (daycare, school, scouts camp, ...). If you are supposed to look after your kids yourself (playground) it's not K-12.

• BarthaxBarthax ✭✭✭

It's a hospital: why must the parents be taking care of the kids themselves? Care workers could easily be in charge of some children.

• TWVerTWVer ✭✭

I was not judging this particular nomination. I do not have enough info to decide if this nomination falls under K-12 ruling.

Obviouly no one would obstruct anything inside the playground. But remember that you just need to be within 40m of it to access the portal, and that might attract players that will park their cars nearby, or aglomerate there, slow driving, etc. That will obstruct a lot. Just imagine if that ever became a ex gym.

• TWVerTWVer ✭✭

Now you are just reaching. Should we reject everything within 40m of a street as well, because it is possible to reach a wayspot from the street, so people could be standing on the street while accessing the wayspot?

edited March 2020

Are trying to compare a regular street with obstruction and noise near an hospital?

I don't know why some folks are so desperately for new portals/pokestop that ignores common sense and want then inside police stations, hospitals, military zones, and others places clearly not meant to have random people playing games there. Doesn't have any parks in your cities?

• TWVerTWVer ✭✭

It's a playground. There is plenty of room to stand without obstructing emergency services.

People are not meant to have access to all wayspots at all times. This has been stated numerous times. If you have no business being in the hospital, don't go into the hospital. If you are allowed to be there, there is no harm in you using your mobile phone to play a game. Don't make up your own rules.

• Dazzz12345Dazzz12345 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

5 stars all day long for me. Just shows how stupid and thought less people can be to reject something that could actually give a genuine sick kid a bit of enjoyment in the day.

To say its k12 it's not it's a play area like any other.

And many poi's cant be reached during any time of day.

Also I'm just guessing here but I wouldn't have thought they would put a play area where emergency services vehicle would be rushing in.

• Hospitals are a rejection. Playgrounds are allowed but not in this case as it's not written in the January update for locations allowed. This isn't a park. It is still in a hospital. Until hospitals are written allowed they shouldn't have Wayspots in my opinion.

• TWVerTWVer ✭✭

The January update is a clarification. It is not complete. It is not mentioned under reject either. Only things like K-12 and private residence are mentioned, which are always reject. Hospital has never been mentioned anywhere as reject. Only emergency services. That is the area where People are brought in with ambulances, not the entire hospital.

• So first the hospital.

Nominations whose real-world location appears to obstruct the driveways of emergency services

This includes anywhere that may interfere with the operations of fire stations, police stations, hospitals, military bases, industrial sites, power plants, or air traffic control towers.

"This includes anywhere that may interfere with the operations" that means the entire hospital.

• Second the playground.

Outdoor and Indoor Playgrounds

• Acceptable: 
    • Playgrounds in parks and apartment complexes: accept one nomination per play area. If a Wayspot already exists for the play area, mark the individual play structures as duplicates of the play area’s Wayspot. For example, there shouldn’t be individual Wayspots for the slide and swing set within a play area, but rather one for that playground overall.
    • Play areas in freely accessible areas of a mall.
    • Not acceptable:
    • Playgrounds in schools, daycares, or children's centers
    • Play areas attached to or within 40 meters of private residences 
    • Commercial play areas; review them as you would any business

"Children Centers" that would define a children's hospital.

• Dice976jrDice976jr ✭✭
    edited March 2020

Third. Similarly k12 is the entire grounds not just the building. No different for hospitals. As the driveways and building could be interfered with. It is a hospital for k12 ages.

Nominations whose real-world location appears to be on the grounds of primary/secondary schools, child care centers, or daycare centers

Again it is reference Child Care Center's.

• Summary of reasons to reject.

1. Anywhere that may interfere with operations with a hospital

2. Child centers are a specific rejection for playgrounds

3. Child care centers are a rejection for k12.

• 4th. All hospitals have a children's wing, except Veteran hospitals. Only hospital that you could technically consider eligible would be a veterans hospital as it doesn't have a children's wing.

• @NianticCasey please correct me if I'm reading criteria in wayfarer incorrect.

• @TheFarix okay 5 star, can you explain how it would meet criteria?

• JSteve0JSteve0 ✭✭✭

Disagree, this conversation is definitely not in the same style. I find this one to be a bit more interesting and relevant.

• JSteve0JSteve0 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

This is actually THE relevant point in this discussion. A children's center is a medical care facility for the care of children. This playground is clearly an example of that. A playground in a Children's Center is ineligible (this is a change of heart resulting from this discussion). Edit: In my area, a google search for children's center brings back mostly child healthcare areas,

But I do not agree that that there are no acceptable portals in hospitals. Each one needs to be reviewed individually. Here are some examples of some existing portals at a hospital near me that are not interfering with emergency services. Edit: Upon finding a copy of the old candidate guide, I found that it clearly stated that the hospital and anything on the building or inside the building should be rejected.

First, the map of the hospital https://intermountainhealthcare.org/-/media/files/facilities/uvrmc/maps/uv-hospital-campus-map.pdf?la=en

This portal is 40 m from the emergency entrance https://intel.ingress.com/intel?ll=40.246821,-111.666562&z=17&pll=40.246821,-111.666562

This portal is located just outside the main entrance and does not obstruct emergency operations. It is adjacent to the Children's Center. https://intel.ingress.com/intel?ll=40.248349,-111.667128&z=17&pll=40.248349,-111.667128

This portal is in a rotunda that is technically in the Children's Center but is not in the areas where patients are treated. It also does not block emergency operations. https://intel.ingress.com/intel?ll=40.248864,-111.666034&z=17&pll=40.248864,-111.666034 Edit: Upon finding a copy of the old candidate guide, I found that it clearly stated that the hospital and anything on the building or inside the building should be rejected.

If I reviewed these today as new portals, I would not have any problems accepting them the outside portals as eligible. On the map, there is a healing garden that should be open by now (I don't believe it is just yet). When that opens, I expect there will be eligible nominations to be made there.

I think a blanket statement that because a hospital has a children's center there cannot be an eligible portal there is too general. I think there are eligible candidates in hospitals that are not Veteran's Hospitals. Edit: However, according to the candidate action guide, the hospital and anything on or inside the hospital building should be rejected.

PS There is a fourth portal at the hospital that should be removed because the statue it is based on has been removed. I won't be submitting a remove request because I suspect that statue may reappear when they open the healing garden.

Post edited by JSteve0 on