Feedback on Portal Guidelines

This one has been bugging me for a while so am curious what general community consensus is.

Things like this statue above have been rejected multiple times as "generic business" "not meeting criteria" etc

Its a simple statue of the McDonald's chain fast food places.

BUT

On flip side, things like THIS statue above have been approved in game!

I am curious if someone can explain to me what the difference is???

My personal opinion is that Jolibee fastfood places are less common and as such get less hatred than McDonalds does but both are identical portal candidates, only difference is the name and trademark of the mascot

Comments

• Mass produced art is defined as decorative parking bollards. Not decorative statues. Locally if there is not hundreds of these types of statues in the same city, I don't see an issue with them personally. I am interested in Niantic's response. Because indoor submissions per the new update calls it out as:

"Acceptable: Mounted or Free-standing murals, paintings, fountains, scupltures, etc... at a mall or the lobby of a business that also meet the criteria of being visually unique and locally significant."

They are Free-standing statues at a entrance of a business. They are visually unique and locally significant being there is not many of them that people come across in my city or a daily. McDonalds doesn't even have those statues in my city anymore. So i would approve something because it is history for a restaurant that isn't seen daily.

This is a great question. I am interested in Niantic's response.

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭

You can’t park a bollard. Are you sure you know what one is?

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

No, mass produced art is not defined as decorative parking bollards. Decorative parking bollards were just used as an example of mass produced art. Mass produced art includes any art that is produced en masse, either in the form of prints of photos or paintings, wallpapers, stencils, and cast or molded figures and statues. Both of the figurines pictured in the OP fall into this category.

• I view Ronald there as mass produced, but an argument could be made that it's a tourist attraction, as the purpose of it is to sit with the statue and get your picture taken.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Those McDonald's benches are actually becoming increasingly more rare. I'd be inclined to accept them for their iconic status as well.

• Well there are other options as well... locally I have a Snoopy Bench (outside Snoopys Diner) where kiddies sit with Snoopy or Woodstock

My feeling tends to be same as @TheFarix in that Jolibee is just much less known since less of us would ever eat there. But Jolibee is hardly rare, they are HUGE over 1,200 fastfood restaurants that serve kids and even popular enough they have their own TV show! Jollitown! At least McDs has scaled back their advertising alot since I was a kid (I cant even remember last time I saw the original McD characters on TV)

• Visually unique and locally significant doesn't limit to one of a kind. No limitations on art exists as a result.

• Indoor Wayspots

• Acceptable: Mounted or free-standing murals, paintings, fountains, sculptures, etc. in a mall or the lobby of a business that also meet the criteria of being visually unique and locally significant.
    • Not acceptable: Mounted or free-standing murals, paintings, fountains, sculptures, etc. on or within 40 meters of private residences.

I consider this an indoor submission as it would be blocked by the roof during satellite view. Locally significant is the big item people are missing. Art is allowed and it doesn't have restrictions being one of a kind.

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭

What are you on about ? Unique literally means being the only one of its kind

• Locally significant is the other requirement. That limits the area required of being one of a kind. A picture unique locally can be approved in other areas as well.

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrong

For example

The original Mona Lisa is a unique artwork, which would be valid to accept

A copy/print of that original artwork in a different location is not valid as its not unique, is just a copy and holds no visual or local uniqueness.

• Incorrect. Local siginifance is important for the same reasons as Darth Vader's Lightsaber is eligible at Disney World. Local significance means it is unique to the local community. Most communities are not going to have more than 1 of the same piece of art in the area typically. Nothing differentiates against a copy or print in criteria when it comes to local significance for art. Nothing say it has to be a one of a kind painting to be approved. Yet locally it is one of a kind because it is the only in the community for that piece of art. Yes the Mona Lisa people would 5 star, but a local business piece of art is acceptable per the January 2020 update.

• GendgiGendgi ✭✭✭

Can you get over the light sabre? Your picture was low quality, I'm sure the rest of the nomination was, too. Instead of continuing that it is eligible (your argument was that it's "indoors" makes it eligible???), take some of the constructive feedback you've received here and resubmit.

I don't care if it was the original or just a replica, and being indoors has no real affect (other than harder to prove location). You never shared the description or substantiation used. If all you said was "indoor nominations are eligible" then it's no wonder it was denied.

• Visually unique is us being able to tell it differently from other wayspots approved nearby. It is hard to tell what is what when it comes to say a pokemon go radar for where pokemon are at. Can you tell the Mona Lisa differently from a Van Gogh? Yes you can. Same with other pieces of art. Can they be visually differentiated from other pieces of art? Yes they all can be visually viewed differently.

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭

You really can't see the difference in validity of a POI between an orignal and a copy can you.

Mass produced art IS to be rejected, its in the guidelines.

Darth Vaders Light Saber, if it was an original or one of the ones used in the films would be valid almost anywhere, a copy of it would not be.

• Can you not see what an update means? An update that says all art in local business lobbies is acceptable. Locally they don't want 2 of the same paintings approved is all. Different cities can have the same photos and still be allowed because they are different to different communities. .

@NianticCasey Can you chime in on this? It is a major topic of confusion because people are ignoring the statement "Locally Significant" in the January update.

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭

Try re reading it yourself it says

• "Acceptable: Mounted or free-standing murals, paintings, fountains, sculptures, etc. in a mall or the lobby of a business that also meet the criteria of being visually unique and locally significant.
    • Not acceptable: Mounted or free-standing murals, paintings, fountains, sculptures, etc. on or within 40 meters of private residences.

"

No where does it say all art.

The guidelines say to reject mass produced art.

The update does NOT mean that, to use my above example, that a copy of the Mona Lisa would be valid in each city throughout the world as its visually unique in each city

• Your Argument is this. (Old criteria from years ago that was never updated.)

Nominations that are images of mass-produced art pieces or objects

Don’t nominate these unless the subject has some cultural significance. Generic street signs qualify as mass-produced objects.

While this decorative parking bollard may be visually appealing, it is a mass-produced object.

• One sec waiting on approve because of some words being rejected that I copied and passed from help for my argument.

• TailpotTailpot ✭✭
    edited March 2020

My Argument is this... (Old and new criteria. New criteria over rules old criteria.)

Eligible Criteria Section: (Old Criteria saying allowed.)

Cool pieces of art or unique architecture

Statues, paintings, mosaics, light installations, etc. (No limitations on paintings being a print or mass produced.)

Potentially confusing Criteria:

Indoor nominations (Old Criteria saying allowed.)

Indoor nominations are eligible, so long as they are accessible to the public in some capacity, (No limitations on art.)

Eligible:

October 2019 update: ( New crtieria saying allowed. No limitations on candidates to art, that they should be reviewed on its own merritt.)

Places like schools and private property say that we are to deny all nominations on those properties. Does this precedent extend to the denials that we are supposed to do on "Adult orientated Businesses" (stri clubs, liquor stores)? Example, a mural is painted on the wall of a mj shop. Are we to deny the mural because it's on a place that should not be accepted or are we to not worry about what type of business that it's on? The businesses themselves may not meet criteria since they would fall under generic businesses. A mural or candidate not related to the business should be reviewed on its own merit.

January 2020 update: (New criteria saying allowed. No limitations on candidates to art. That they say mounted and free standing art is still acceptable for any art.)

Indoor Wayspots

• Acceptable: Mounted or free-standing murals, paintings, fountains, sculptures, etc. in a mall or the lobby of a business that also meet the criteria of being visually unique and locally significant.

My conclusion:

Mass produced is for street signs and parking bollards per the pictures clearly suggesting what they are meaning. Not Statues, paintings, and other things that are clearly allowed and written as such. Per January it clearly say locally significant. A reviewer who is reviewing knowing reviews for other areas. They have to review the local existing wayspots to make sure there is no duplicates nearby. That is part of reviewing. If there is no duplicates for the same piece of art locally, than they should be allowed as a result and not rejecting it. Because they are still eligible items being they are art and specifically called out as eligible. The January Clarification just makes people aware Niantic is allowing more art and that it is to be visually unique that they only want 1 thus for each type of art locally. Yes multiple paintings/statues are allowed, as they can be visually different to make them also eligible. They don't want 71 pink elephant statues in one city.

Please correct me if I am wrong @NianticCasey

• Man you literally can not post word for word what is written in the different categories without an approval by niantic? It is their own language?

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭

You haven't proved any point at all, all you have done is invalidated your own argument.

You can't just choose to ignore the section of the guide which tells you what POI's are invalid, it specifically says to reject mass produced pieces of art.

You are again of a singular view in what is acceptable, you quite within your right to keep to that view, it doesn't make you correct.

• Hadn't finished. But. I was proving to you that your assumption of mass produced art isn't statues, paintings, prints, etc. It is still art and allowed per guidelines. What the guide states now is art is restricted locally not worldwide. Which your failing to understand. A print of the mona lisa in Europe and one in the usa that are both not on prp are allowed. No limitation occurs on forms of art for ones that are eligible. No difference in if it is mounted or freestanding, both are allowed in any business.

The statues above from the OP are still statues and allowed. It is a form of art. They are visually unique to the local communities as they are usually only 1 per local community.

@NianticCasey even stated the same thing with Mausoleums being gravesite are allowed if they are artistic.

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah i know, just had a random hope that somehow something may actually sink in and cause an Eureka moment, probably never going to happen but im an optimist

• TailpotTailpot ✭✭
    edited March 2020

Each piece of art is to be reviewed on it's own merit. If there is no duplicate in the immediate local area, than it is allowed.

• Misinformation is you guys promoting that all art is mass produced and not allowed.

• OchemistOchemist ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Each piece of art is to be reviewed on it's own **Merritt**. If there is no duplicate in the immediate local area, than it is allowed.

Interesting (presumable) autocorrect...

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭

Ha ha ha ha, that's brilliant . Actually laughed reading that