Why we want anomalies

At least this is why I like them, want more of them and a few questions about what is it that Niantic doesn't like about them.

This is why I like to go to anomalies and why the hexathlon idea really doesn't do much for me and many others. I would say this the idea of the anomaly is that we as a faction go out and prepare an army weeks before and being part of this army makes us, the players in our faction part of something greater than ourselves. We prepare, we we collaborate with our leaders, we form teams, these teams bond with their members and leaders. The preparation is a huge organized bonding between the players in each faction.

NONE of this happens when you go to a hexathlon. It's just individuals competing with only the game and stats. No bonding, no teams organizing, no leaders, this isn't a task that brings the faction together against a common opponent.

Anomalies are not about meeting the characters in the lore, don't get me wrong, we love meeting them, but that's only a small part about an anomaly that makes it so gratifying to be a part of.

I went to Umbra Sacramento. It was amazing fun and I had a great time. Yes, I know there were problems with the game, I had to reboot my game a lot of times, but that didn't detract from the game for me. I was there to be with my team, to fight for our team's cause, to be a part of something bigger than myself. And, I got that. I didn't need to meet any characters to get this rush from Umbra Sacramento. I did have a great time when I did get to meet them, but that's not what actually brought me to Sacramento.

When it was announced that we had to buy tickets, I just opened my scanner to the events and did it. $15 was worth it for me for this. My only reservation with this was that it was announced only a week or two before the anomaly. I don't know what's going on with that, but that is not good timing for people. But, I still bought my ticket.

As for the problems in Europe and Asia, that's just growing pains for the game. A lot of changes were made and it's hard to account for all the problems that can possibly happen. We fix them, we do better next time. There is no shame in that. That's all I ask for, just fix it. Move on and do better.

@NianticBrian I had heard somewhere that you thought Sacramento was some sort of failure, is that true? Why do you think that and for the record, I had a great time. What do you expect to see in an anomaly? Will there be more anomalies? I am deeply disappointed that there will not be an American anomaly this quarter. I'm not sure I want to go to a hexathlon, it isn't a team competition and I live for those.

Also, it was an honor and a joy to meet you at the ENL party, and I hope to meet you again in the future at yes, an anomaly.

Tagged:

Comments

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

I agree that hexathlons probably wont make people fly half the world to play solo events, but anomalies is what people want most and is most exciting fight with your team against the other, its weird to me only 1 anomaly will be held first half 2020 in germany :(

I feel sorry for all us and asia players thats a long way to travel to germany and very expensive with tickets and hotel to attend the only anomaly so far :(

Nothing wrong with hexathlons but its not something u do as a team , unless they redesign it or something that average score from both teams adds up to a final score or something but i guess not.. I dont see how hexathlons is gonna replace anomalies...

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

Agreed. Anomaly is all about the prep time in advance to get the field ready for all the guests coming in from who knows where.

Hex is nothing more than a FS to me. FS majority of the time is all about uniques and pioneers. My limit for travel to an FS is about 500km. No hex for me leap day.

• Sort of a bummer there will be no Perpetua event that isn't a Hexathlon. Seems like things are kind of winding down for this game in general, with events becoming less and less widespread and interesting.

• Niantic is killing their own game. Spending too much time and money and cinematic sequences and not enough on Anomalies. Sure global challenges are fun but they are not a substitute for Anomalies.

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

Trying to interject LARP instinct, yes. Trying to be the granddaddy of all large LARP; not understanding the player base and the rules is the biggest issue with Ingress. The tech side is getting better, but still need to stomp out spoof and multiaccounting.

• Dirtyjoe619Dirtyjoe619 ✭✭✭

I also really miss epiphany night/Magnus. It was fun. It was family friendly, it was non hostile. It was beautiful. Some of my best ingress memories ever.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

wow that looked fun, building a real powercube or ? seems no events now for a long time :(

• aaronviannoaaronvianno ✭✭✭✭

Communities are dying coz no anomalies. There's no reason any more to build up a large army of agents. Like, go level up on your own if Hexathlons are all we have to look forward to.