PoI Accepted but too close: still in the database?

BarthaxBarthax ✭✭✭
edited March 2020 in Wayfarer (Archive)

In Wayfarer, there is no distinction given in the Nominations list as to whether a PoI was considered "too close". Does this mean that a PoI that is currently "too close" is retained in the database for such a time if there becomes space?

For example: I am unable to ascertain any Wayfarer-based information to differentiate between these two accepted candidates:

One is a portal live in Ingress and the other was too close. For the record, these are in the World Heritage site of Conwy where there is a wealth of candidates and no room to swing a cat, so I'm not expecting there to ever be room... :P

Post edited by Barthax on

Comments

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭

On the player side anywhere, it is not. Not even in Wayspot reviewing.

This is only speculation, but I’m guessing they have some internal ranking system based on approvals and rejects, and don’t want to punish players with a reject because it was eligible, but too close to come online.

• GendgiGendgi ✭✭✭

The Ingress email you receive will clearly state:

We've reviewed your Portal submission and believe it meets the Candidate Portal criteria. However, this candidate is too close to an existing Portal, so we're not able to bring it online at this time.

You'll also receive a Portal key to a candidate accepted; both offer clear distinction to which one was truly accepted.

PoGO emails receive a very generic:

Please keep in mind that not all eligible PokéStop nominations are able to appear live in Pokémon GO, depending on proximity to other PokéStops; however, they may appear in other Niantic games. If you have any questions, please head over to our Help Center for additional information.

Which frankly has been a little misleading and many of my friends have had difficulty understanding when their candidate isn't truly accepted to the map.

Now, there is speculation that Niantic stores accepted (but not synced) candidates in a separate database (as they do with every other piece of personal data we provide them), but it would be extremely difficult for them to ever retroactively sync those Wayspots. Players are expected to curate their local database, which means reporting when sculptures are moved or safe pedestrian access is no longer available. It would be impossible to provide such feedback to "accepted" Wayspots that are not visible on the map, and thus irresponsible to sync them at a later time.

• 0X00FF000X00FF00 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can confirm that these "too close to become a portal" candidates ARE in the regular POI database. One such that never appeared in either Ingress or Pokemon Go became a POI in Harry Potter, at the expense of the other "too close" location. While this happened in the initial "seed" phase of Potter, it can conceivably still happen if multiple POIs are approved in a small window of time: differing ones may appear in differing games.

This would generally have a few consequences:

1. If a POI gets removed or moved, a "hidden" POI can come into the various games.
    2. multiple versions of a "hidden" POI can linger in the database, and it can then be a crapshoot as to which one does go live. (We've already seen a somewhat similar version of this, with Pokemon players submitting "hidden-to-them" POIs.)
  • GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭

Could you share the POI and location? I would love to have an example of this to show others.

• 0X00FF000X00FF00 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Due to local privacy/stalking issues, I'll PM the location but not otherwise post my location here. I gots the Telegram, I gots the Reddit, I gots the Facebook, I gots the Discord, ...

Edit: also, not much to see: it's just a "park" in Ingress, with a too-close "playground". The park is in Ingress & Pogo, the playground is in HP.

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭

I can also confirm that too close POI's are visable on Wayfarer, or at least were last year.

One I submitted in a village was approved but to close, however a week or two later I then got a review of a different sub in the same village, and my original to close submission was there in the nearby POI list.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

They should also appears during review to be marked as duplicate, but I can't confirm if it already happens or not.

• GendgiGendgi ✭✭✭

When I review nominations in my local area, I have never seen a candidate that was "accepted" but not synced to Ingress show up on the nearby duplicates screen. I have at least 2 data points (one twice) down the street from me right now that were accepted but have never shown nearby.

It sounds possible due to glitches, but it is definitely not the norm. Also remember that edits can and frequently break standard accepted spacing criteria.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

It used to be listed as the following terminology in the emails.

Accepted but too close

We've reviewed your Portal submission and believe it meets the Candidate Portal criteria. However, this candidate is too close to an existing Portal, so we're not able to bring it online at this time.

-NianticOps

Duplicate or too close

We've reviewed your Portal submission, but we're not able to bring this candidate online at this time.

Your candidate is a duplicate of either an existing Portal or one that's too close to another live Portal to be safely Hacked.

-NianticOps

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

HP had an update that was reversed but showed a very large amount of POIs for about a month, certainly alot more than ingress possibly all the POIs

• BarthaxBarthax ✭✭✭

PoGo in Chester (UK) has way more portals than Ingress but that's because of a local sponsorship specifically for PoGo.