I think the system is broken.

FronsacFronsac ✭✭
edited February 2020 in Wayfarer (Archive)

How come a mass produced item (not unique) became a feature wayspot?

Comments

• I've seen multiple of the same reviews.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

It's completely random.

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that's a good wayspot. Maps help people find where they're going.

• "Signboards with educational information"

• I do not see the educational purpose here (no educational or history trail). Plus it's not unique there are dozen of the same plan in this city and it's mass produced as well (the band name JCDecaux at the top).

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭

JCDeacaux are not the producers of the Map, they are the manufacture of the frame the map sits in, they provided advertisement street furniture.

The Map its self if a good POI as it does fall under educational information.

Should every identical map in the city be allowed through, no , but that is where you would mark it down on visual uniqueness when reviewing

• The entire point of Ingress, PoGo and Wizards Unite is to travel around to new places. Having maps as a POI is great. It makes me use the maps in the local area rather than hopping out of game and onto google maps every 5 minutes.

• Yeah, 100% legit because it supports the purpose of Niantics games. Helps to come around, find your own location, find tourist attractions, find the next public traffic stations etc.

• AgentB0ssAgentB0ss ✭✭✭✭✭

A map is both functional, interesting, and educational for an area. This is a good POI.

That being said the featured waypoints are not reviewed and just picked from some sort of algorithm.

• Standard city maps are not Wayspots, because they're not unique and simply not interesting. Just because something is handy or is of value to a society doesn't mean it has to come online in Niantic games. If that were true, every lamp post becomes "100% legit" and every advertisement sign "educational". Don't confuse a city map with a signboard with educational information, they're not the same thing. I'd sooner classify this under the "Generic street signs"-guideline in Wayfarer's help text.

I completely sympathize with the OP's question. The randomly-picked showcased Wayspots are sometimes of such terrible quality, I often wonder if it's not a better idea to manually pick (or have us vote) for better ones.

As for why these POI's exist in the first place: the system has never been perfect. I've seen online POIs ranging from garden gnomes in backyards, chamber plants in windows, mass-produced plastic **** nailed to trees, stuffed animals, etc. All those could become "showcases" in the future :).

But it's a big planet, and crowdsourcing seems the only way to uncover all it's hidden people-made gems.

• Hi there,

Here is an update, this wayspot has been reported and is now deleted (did not do it).

So it was alive for a month and featured in Wayfarer and now it's deleted.

Maybe you should checked manually portals that are featured.

• JeroenixJeroenix ✭✭✭

That is remarkable. So far I've seen only Wayspots that are dangerous or clearly inaccessible removed, but poor quality candidates are usually left alone. I think that's because they want to leave as much as possible up to the community and interfere as little as possible.

But this is good news for a better quality portal network (unless it was removed for a different reason)..

Thanks for the update @Fronsac