Scanner Tool Addendums

A nice addition to the scanner would be a "Portals Visited" option. The ability to see a listing of portals hacked and/or captured would be great. These portals displayed as a map overlay would be wonderful. Thoughts on this? What would be a function you would like to see added to your scanner?

Comments

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

There already a feature for that, I believe it's called memory.

I used to think likewise, but time has shown me that such thing is not compatible with cultural value of each location.

Also, at this point, only spoofers would find this useful, when you play the game, you know which portals are already counting for you.

So I invite you to just play the game and you will find out that you don't need this (and many other things) at all.

• @GoblinGranate I wish my memory was that good! I can happily tell you which portals I've hacked and capped in the city in which I live (Coventry, UK) plus the surrounding area with a good degree of accuracy, but remember whether I capped "Fabrik Wien" (the portal at a hotel my wife and I stayed in 16 months ago) or not is a bit more than I can manage. Definitely hacked it, but whether my missus or I capped it is something which, very reasonably, has escaped my memory.

• edited February 2020

@GoblinGranate the entire point (which obviously has alluded you) to this function is to assist the recall and become a memory map for players who do so out beyond a set pattern. I personally have played from South Carolna and as far north as Wisconsin.

Some portals are more memorable than others yet I have strived to put added value to most I've played. The thing about life and time is that the more of it you experience memories tend to get stacked upon and aren't as accessible as when made. I would like to in a few years have that list to recall those parts of the journey.

Post edited by AltimusMaximus on
  • HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

That works great if you never leave your town an know every corner of you city, but would still miss one new portal that pop out for a while. Just imagine revisiting a city 3 years after you hacked everything and having a few more portals. Would you really remember all 3 thousands you visit a spot right away one more that were created?

The function would be a great addition to almost everyone. Say it's only useful to spoofer is just idiotic. A spoofer can already fly over a city in controlled straight line and cover everything and reach black in few days. My city probably have way over 5000 portals, with new ones poping every day and I didn't visited half of this and will not recall if that if that square/plaza/park has 45 or 46 portals since my last visit. Of course I remember every location I visited, but won't remember every street I took to reach there and every portal it had.

Alright, looks like my memory is just too good.

I can see the point where one travels a lot and remembering all portals is just impossible, but I really think is not a need to have such thing.

Avoiding to check on how idiotic or not can something be, I honestly think that you can remember almost all portals over your area when playing at "home", and almost all portals visited when travelling. I'm a traveller myself and I find quite time wasting to try to fetch every portal in sight, reason why I encourage banner games to everyone. I don't remember every portal I've hacked but I don't really need to.

The only time I could have miss this was in Via Lux Odissey, where every agent was required to hack REAL unique portals in a time window. Even then, I knew that moving to a place that I never visited was required for that badge to be gold, so I didn't need to remeber ANY of those portals.

If you are looking for new portals, just go to some new area or create it yourself, but expecting Niantic to flag them like Pokestops just goes against their game concept (at least, when they acted like they had one, lol).

Besides, if those portals were shown, those who like to play the race game (be the very first to capture a new portal) wouldn't be able to keep it up! Come on, guys, you don't need this at all!

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm on the fence about this. If you visit an area that you were in before but didn't hack all the portals, supposing the scanner highlighted unvisited portals, are you going to avoid hacking some because you hacked them before? Probably not. So does it matter whether the portals are highlighted or not?

As for unique caps: same question, although I can see that if you are with someone else then the info for each portal might help decide which one of you caps it.

• The entire point of this function for ME is to allow me to bring back the memories associated with who I was and what my life was like when I encountered the portal. To many conjectures are being made as to implementation in game play.

BACKSTORY: in May of 2017 I had a hemorrhagic stroke and was coma induced for 30 days. This taught me memory isn't as static as we believe.

@GoblinGranate

but expecting Niantic to flag them like Pokestops just goes against their game concept

What game concept? I'm pretty sure this thing is already planned and wasn't implement yet because isn't a priority now.

It's a good feature that's makes no harm at all if done right. The only cons I see it's if it because visually poluted, since we have far more portals than pokestops. But in redacted era we had the mission halo under the portals and that didn't any harm, so I believe we'll be fine.

edited February 2020

Feel sorry for you, but doesn't that make an excellent chance to re-experience it all again?

@Hydraulinski you still don't need it! I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice, I'm saying that it has no real value to the game.

Would you increase your gameplay if this was implemented right now? Would you experience the game in a different way?

I'm telling, you, bro, you don't need this, none of us need this!

We also didn't need fields in the sky, ghost portal pictures, the (i), new avatars, fast cube button, one finger movement and long press shortcuts. All above aren't exactly needed and game were still playable, no matter how much value you can put at something (like one finger camera control) it still not really necessary and you can play without it. But those additions make it easier. Better sometimes.

Not needing a function is not excuse to not have it. If it's not gonna damage and it's helpful for someone, it should be added (like the new info button, and linking warnings).

And yes, it will change my gameplay right now. There a lot of streets I didn't went to and I could change my routes a bit longer just to fill the urge of remove the flag of unhacked/uncaptured.

Alright, I'll desist then on my try to convince you otherwise 😊

But I'd like to point out that not needing a function is a perfectly valid reason for not having it. I'd even say it is the most valid reason.

And I challenge you to stand by your words: if this feature is added, I want you to really change your routes to hack'em all and come back here and tell me that you did it. How much of a percentage do you think is it going to be? 😉

edited February 2020

Hight, since I'm intentionally not going outside my comfort zone because it's currently pointless. I know I won't upgrade my badge any more without traveling. The best I can do it's reach platinum (I'm at 2502), but that would require wandering across every corner of the city, and without a tracking system (this whole discussion) it might be a lot harder and and I probably going to went places that I already was, slowing down the process.

About not needing being a good reason to not include it, well, the game also need constant innovation otherwise it will went to stagnation and boredom. I might seem needless now that we don't have it. I never asked or thought about fast cube menu and full recharge button before prime, but I can't live without them now.