The Atrocity That IS Didact Field Challenge

Alright, well too start things off.. let me just make it clear that I'm someone who takes earning medals & adding them to my agents profile pretty seriously (it's like a trophy case almost), as I'm sure a lot of others are. The main issue with this upcoming Didact: Field Challenge dropping tomorrow 02/14/20 is the simple fact that Niantic is BEYOND mindful & considerate at all that A LOT of players (more than not) do not live in MAJOR CITIES that are actually possible to even pull off getting.. hell.. if anything silver? I mean come on, 100 fields just for bronze? Oh that's sweet, like come on.. seriously, you have to really be arrogant if you think that someone EVEN pull off 100 fields + in 10 days, yet alone 800.. like seriously? GET A GRIP Niantic. Someone either has to be A.) On a decent amount of methamphetamines driving, walking, or biking around for almost every hour of the day... OR... B.) Live in a main city like Boston, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Paris, etc.

On a very serious note, all of you at Niantic should really make some things actually possible for your most common players that don't live in major cities that are clustered head to toe in portals. If ANYTHING this "field challenge" shouldn't be a matter of how many fields you create but rather how much MU you cover with new fields created/established by said agent within the 10 day span of time that we have to do this.

Comments

• NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

Marginalizing is how you gut your player-base faster than it already is dropping.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

it would have been better with a deploy mod event instead imo, each agent could deploy 4 mods on all portals instead... we had a field event 2017 why again ? or do a make MU instead, whats next month, cassandra again because people missed it before? sigh...

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Git gud.

If I had 10 more sbul I would be able to get the medal under a hour, using 16 portals in one side and rebuilding from the other. I'm probably able to do it without using sbuls (just waiting someone to destroy), but I want to do it quickly and have items to waste since I'm used to save them for special occasions like the challenges.

• Ech0TomEch0Tom ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

I live on the edge of a little market town and it took me about 2 hours of farming running up to the event and then 1hr 30 mins of walking to throw 100 fields. if you know how its pretty easy.

When I lived in London absolutely surrounded by portals the fielding challenges were hell because there was just loose links and half dead portals all over the place that I had to try and Jarvis and I lived in a super contested area so farming gear was a nightmare.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there's a misunderstanding of the word challenge

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Spent the day, on foot, at a couple major clusters.

Mustered up 150 fields

Bought the load out pack, and found that UNLESS you have a good spine of lots of portals, ULAs are largely unhelpful.

Many in my city, both factions, are unhappy with the requirements for the challenge.

I DO agree that with cities/CBD players that find getting the highest tier is rather easy, and I do agree that Niantic should provide something to allow them to show off their epicness, a counter of how many times the max tier they managed is good.

Other suburban/rural players, less mobile, are finding even 100 fields to be quite the challenge in of itself, which discourages them.

I see both sides of the argument

Tomorrow is another day, hopefully going to make use of the portal spines

You just need 16 portals in a roll. If everyone in your town is crying, you should made a crossfaction deal to help each other.

I did 175 in half your time, and waste most of the time farming keys for today.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

weather kills it for many parts of world.. fielding in cold enviornments isnt what i **** fun or user friendly :( i did the 100 fields today in rainy and 3c weather.. not that fun imo but i wanted atleast get the badge before weather gets worse...

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

This was, and like the EXO-5 and link challenges before, the weekend essentially allows when you can go do things, like a zoo or theme park, where there are loads of portals, but you can't get there during a normal work week.

But also having to manage an increasing tiny inventory of a few hundred items, which includes keys for fielding ops like this.

16 portal spines are around, and are easier to get to do during the work week.

• I did 104 fields in three small towns this afternoon. And by small, I mean ~50 portals total between the three towns, about ten miles apart. So, semi-rural agents can do this. I just did, it just takes some driving, about three hours, and a knowledge of fan fielding.

We'll see if I'm in the mood tomorrow for a longer drive and a longer time in a town where I have no keys, but have identified an 18 portal spine that I can flip a few times. Maybe get to silver.

@DerteeBlooBerd @SpiderWolve @Cornwuff

Congratulations for your accomplishment and effort! I'm on my way to gold tomorrow. 170 to go yet.

I've spent about 11 sbul to speed up the process, mainly because I'm about to earn platinum liberator, but I wand myriad and didact together, since I'm probably take a year of more to lv up this badge.

• H O W ?

Teach me the ways of multy layered fields! But no seriously can you please tell me how you did that? :O

• Assuming this is not a troll... It really wasn't that hard.

We only used 25 portals in the field engine. It gobbled up 36 SBUL & 18 Jarvis, but key farming was minimal as each cycle only required a maximum of 2 keys per portal and it was easy to restock during inoculation.

This was the Doc I quickly drew up for another agent in town to utilize the engine as well.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SeVQPnp_R_0o-1YDjUa8JuXeIQD3xOcvdmfnOl6VpGk/edit?usp=drivesdk

Many Adas/jarvis and SoftBank ultralinks, I suppose.

After building a multilayer with 16 portals, each ada/jarvis and SoftBank will provide 29 fields, so with 27 of each, is possible to beat with only 44 portals. It's possible to do with even less that that, if there's no competition in the region, and wait the inoculation time to reflip.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, to those that gain good influx of ULAs and flip cards.

The rest of us, despite the quantity of glyphing, barely have any, so every link and field is important.

NZ$16 for 3 ULAs is not economical in the slightest, versus the RLAs which are always available in the ingame store, that just require minimal changes (change from link distance bonus to 4 additional outgoing links).

@NianticBrian I believe a good source of income with this event from the RLAs, would have proven more positive, than the very expensive ULAs.

As of last night with several ULAs and many, many flip cards, on a 16 portal spine, only managed ~225 fields and restocking on keys every couple of hours.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

@NetsAckerman

Didn't matter how much advance notice is given, not many of us have mule accounts to offload unnecessary gear ready to tackle the next challenge, thus managing extremely small inventory space is paramount.

I'd like to have 1,000 of free inventory space.

Thus, everything is farmed when the actual event started,