Ingress Insights: Core-Shell Avatars

We're excited to announce a new series of avatars for agent customization in Ingress 2.39. These simple shapes were inspired by visual design from Scanner [Redacted] combined with complex XM colors and textures made possible by the Prime system.

Each core-shell combination was designed with a different inspiration in mind. We're exploring how the avatar represents the self––is it physically you? Or is it an entity that mirrors you? 

The glowing core and polygonal shell go together hand-in-hand, breathing with life. Without a core, the shell cannot function. We drew inspiration from cyberpunk literature. Perhaps you are the core and the shell represents the ways in which you interact with and affect the physical world around you.

To update your avatar core, visit your agent profile, then tap the avatar in the profile header to enter the customization screen, where new core-shell designs can be purchased.

The XM contained in the avatars consists of four different color/shape variations and can visually change when near portals:

• Spiritualist: Rings of energy born and die for eternity. Composed of newly discovered compounds similar to Pure XM. They create an infinite of possibilities to the ever-changing avatar core. The resonating nature of the rings gives off a balanced feeling.
  • Skeptic: A drop of water in an ocean of undiscovered data. As you approach a portal, the core reacts. Is it trying to tell you something?
  • Alchemist: Aether taken from the center of a portal. We discovered it was teeming with energy from the Jarvis virus. Approaching Enlightened portals will cause it to react.
  • Dreamer: Core consisting of a jelly-like sphere of liquid. Ingredients unknown. The color of the shell is reminiscent of the original prime avatar. Unlike other avatars, the core and shell of the dreamer remains the same color. If we accept that the core controls the shell, then the orange shell must be a product of the blue and green dots in the core.

We look forward to your feedback, and seeing how agents interact with these new designs.

Post edited by NianticOfficial on

Comments

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just a bit confused. Shouldn't these also use avatars from the archetypes? It seems a bit disconnected.

• MrCathulhuMrCathulhu ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
  • HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the shells could be different from each other, other than color.

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

LOL. I immediately thought of something far more whimsical:

Long time no see. We thought today would be a good day for rolling. The katamari. The prince. Where the first rolls the second follows. Roll, roll, roll. For that purpose alone, We went to the bother, the bother of making this space. The King of All Cosmos, going to the bother just for rolling a katamari. Just for that, went to the bother.

Na-naaaa na-na na-na na-naaaa na na na-na naaaa 🎶

Rolling down the sidewalk! Scooping up XM and portals!

. . . Okay, that’s probably less amusing if you haven’t played that other game . . . 😅

The one, functional fly-in-the-ointment with these new core-shell avatars is that cell phone magnetometers have a rather, let’s say, whimsical idea of the direction that you’re facing. It’s a comical effect when your avatar is an arrow that’s simply always pointing in the wrong direction. It’s less comical when you have flashlight that’s never aimed correctly. It’s visually disruptive when it’s a badly aimed flashlight that’s also jittering back and forth like it’s had a few too many cups of coffee.

So, a suggestion: Have the avatar point in the direction you’re moving, and try to smooth out the jitters. It’s the way both the Google Maps app and Pokémon GO work, I believe.

• We have some benefit with some one of that avatars?

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

I have the Dreamer. Looks cool and nice. But i hope we can get better graphic on navigation light from the avatar.

Please fix 1 pack we can buy all color for price 5000CMU

• So, a suggestion: Have the avatar point in the direction you’re moving, and try to smooth out the jitters. It’s the way both the Google Maps app and Pokémon GO work, I believe.

So much this!!! I mean it is funny to watch avatars "moon walking" especially in the cars (saw a video a sped up video of someone playing ingress in the car), But it does get old ESPECIALLY now since these new avatars have headlight which is just eye distracting. Or if you don't want to fix that like in PoGo then at least please let us turn off the headlights,

Works if agents calibrate compass on phone. Open Ingress Prime and run your phone in 8. Google Maps view how you do if you dont understand. Works for me every time in Ingress Prime. It is something bad in Android 10 or Ingress Prime.

edited February 2020

Love the new dreamer avatar. Only are low quality on flashligt navigation light from avatar have to low quality graphic on my Samsung Galaxy S10+

I hope we can get more high graphic on navigation light from avatar to next update 2.40

Post edited by jontebula on
  • starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

It's winter - can I get one that makes me feel warm?

• What does it mean "REACT as you approach a portal"?

• MajeyeMajeye ✭✭✭

This is awesome! Are they animated in any sort of way? Would be cool if they were like atoms and had little protons or neutrons swirling around them or something. lol

• For example, the core of the Alchemist avatar is yellow most of the time, but changes to green near ENL portals.

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

Another suggestion: Make an agent's choice of avatar (optionally) visible on their profile to other agents.

As we get more and more avatars to choose from, they could become another means of expressing our personal flavor.

Way agents dont like have pack to with all colors for 5000CMU?

• This is a translation in French of the article posted by NianticBrian on Thursday, February 6th 2020.

Ceci est une traduction en français de l'article posté par NianticBrian jeudi 6 février 2020.

Nous sommes enthousiastes d'annoncer une nouvelle série d'avatars pour personnalisation d'Agent dans Ingress 2.39. Ces formes simples ont pour inspiration les designs visuels de "Scanner [Redacted]" combinés à des agencements complexes de couleurs d'XM et de textures, rendues possibles grâce au système Prime.

Chaque combinaison de cœur-enveloppe a été conçue avec une inspiration différence. Nous explorons présentement comment l'avatar représente le Soi - est-ce vous physiquement, ou est-ce une entité qui vous représente ?

Le cœur radiant et l'enveloppe polygonale vont de paire, respirant avec la vie elle-même. Sans le cœur, l'enveloppe ne peut fonctionner. Notre inspiration est puisée de la littérature cyberpunk. Peut-être que vous êtes le cœur, et que l'enveloppe représente les chemins qui vous permettent d'interagir avec le monde physique qui vous entoure.

Pour changer votre avatar-cœur, allez sur votre profil d'agent, puis appuyez sur l'avatar dans l'entête pour ouvrir l'écran de personnalisation. Vous pourrez y acheter les nouveaux designs de cœur-enveloppe.

L'XM contenue dans ces avatars est constituée de quatre variations de couleurs et formes, et son apparence peut changer à proximité de portails :

• Spiritualiste : des anneaux d'énergie, crée et détruite pour l'éternité. Composées de matériaux nouvellement trouvés, proche de l'XM pure. Ils créent une infinité de possibilités pour le changement du cœur de l'avatar. La caractéristique résonnante des anneaux procure une sensation d'équilibre.
    • Sceptique : Une goutte d'eau dans un océan de données encore inconnues. Quand vous approchez un portail, le cœur réagit. Essaie-il de vous dire quelque chose ?
    • Alchimiste : De l'éther prélevé directement au centre d'un portail. Nous avons découvert qu'il regorgeait d'énergie grâce au virus Jarvis. Approcher des portails Éclairés le fera réagir.
    • Rêveur : Le cœur est composé d'une sphère de gelée (ingrédient inconnu). La couleur de l'enveloppe rappelle l'avatar original de Prime. Contrairement aux autres avatars, le cœur et l'enveloppe du Rêveurgardent la même couleur. En admettant que c'est le cœur qui contrôle l'enveloppe, alors l'enveloppe orange est sûrement la conséquence des points bleus et verts qui constituent le cœur.

Nous attendons vos réactions avec impatience, et avons hâte de voir comment les Agents vont interagir avec ces nouveaux designs.

• Not a fan of the new grouping of items, I kinda liked it how it was before. But far more important than that, still no right-to-left language support.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Can we get options to buy matching color circles for the avatars? I have the blue and i hate the yellow circle... or if i want a yellow avatar i want a blue circle.. ? Also the xm should change based to reflect the avatar, if u have green then nearby xm glows green, blue then xm is blue etc etc... small cosmetic visuals only to reflect your avatar would be cool imo.

• You want MORE of our money? Make some "Nian-tec" avatars based on the Nian cat memes!

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Still waiting on the other 9 archetypes 😔

• Эти аватары дают какие нибудь бонусы?

к примеру. Выбрал синий, он больше подбирает энергии пока двигаешься. Желтый выбрал, ты можешь взламывать портал с бонусом на оружие и ид

• They're purely cosmetic.

Google Translate: Алар таза косметикалык.