Wayfarer Group on Facebook is Promoting Misinformation

Comments

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭

It certainly doesn’t help that they call themselves the “Niantic Wayfarer Global Reviewers Admin Team” and uses the Niantic Logo and all. It’s like a deceptive EBay post.

• Several of the people in there have straight up said they don't care about quality, they want every square inch of the earth to be a wayspot, claiming that's what Niantic wants.

• This is the main problem that caused me to make this post to draw Niantic's attention to it. If they are, in fact, in contact with the moderators there, perhaps they can do something about the flagrant abuse. It's one thing to have a player run group that has some misinformation in it. That's almost unavoidable because there are a lot of different interpretations of the guidelines. But to have a player-run group that tries to come off as a a source of info and advice and that "works with niantic staff" but then then uses their moderator powers as aggressively as this to try to control and skew the info is abuse. They delete dozens, probably hundreds, of comments any time someone posts an interpretation they don't like. They have banned at least a dozen players for trying to correct misinformation, and have lied about the reasons for the bans. It's malicious, the leadership is using the group to promote their own agenda and try to influence inexperienced reviewers so they can try to pass wayspots that do not fit with the guidelines.

• Did the group get removed or am I just blocked from seeing it?

• Fwiw, they changed the name and description

• So, shouldn't this new group also remove Niantic from their name?

• I never personally had a problem with Niantic being in their name, the only problem I had was that they made no effort at the time that I was in the group to dispel any perception that they were an official group. And then shortly after NianticCasey joined that group, they started using that as some sort of sign of approval from Niantic. As you just provided a screenshot of them, they have changed that in their group description. That wasn't there when I was banned from the group.

My problem with that group has always been that the leadership of that group is very anti-reject. Everything but the most dirty of coal they try to worm their way through by cherry picking the wayfair documentation and entirely ignoring anyone who points out AMA clarifications of nomination rules that may be unclear. the admin, Jamie, would very frequently post complaints about things that he got rejected that he claimed were easy accepting, but where sometimes things like a mural painted on the side of a private residential garage, And he would claim because it's not "Private resistance" that it was acceptable. And anyone who tried to dispel that misinformation would get their comments deleted by Jamie, And if they reposted their concern, no matter how nice they were about it, Jamie would continue to delete their comments and then ban them.

Instead of allowing discussion to happen, and constructive criticism of nominations, they delete any detailed explanations of why something should be rejected because they want to push the goal of having as many PokéStops as possible instead of having quality control at all. They have argued that it is their job as reviewers to accept as many things as possible to help improve the game, they claim that they have never even looked at what a postdoc represents and don't care what's in game. They entirely ignore the angle of exploration and Discovery. And they are creating and influencing a lot of people and giving bad information like "Just keep submitting it over and over again until it goes through" When talking about things that are very clearly against guidelines.

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭

It is, but hours after they made the changes to the group, they still left the admin page the same.

Using the Niantic logo and the tag "NianticWayfarerGlobal" makes it still look like it's part of NIA as a company.

It makes posts to the group and with a logo very similar to official Niantic pages it's still very easy to assume it's a Offical Niantic group. Especially when viewed as a member

• MPparkSlayerMPparkSlayer ✭✭
    edited February 2020

Looks like "Niantic Wayfarer - Niantic Wayfarer" facebook group ran by David Jeffers, just did the exact same stuff to a member on his page for people arguing over what is written versus opinions.

edited February 2020

I don't know you and I don't know who that is. I just enjoyed watching an entire discussions on the Facebook page from a link on here with admins and other agents/trainers. I'd have to say that group is just as bad as the other group based on what I saw in one thread 106 comments. One person got muted when the mob bashed and attacked one person. Literally saw couple people start harassing a guy for saying he was buying accounts and people chiming in saying yes it is a conspiracy that your submissions are rejected. If that can occur, than the system is flawed and Niantic needs to be aware that people are rejecting submissions on purpose.

• ForteForte ✭✭
    edited February 2020

Chris, because that's obviously you. Don't try to hide behind the "A Member on his page" ****.

The post you made was intentionally there to stir stuff up, as you don't ever post things like this in this group, because even in Jamie's group you would have been laughed at for nominating a good will store. Now, We won't argue your nominations merits here as that would be incredibly off topic, but I bring this up to reply to your accusation that we "did the exact same stuff". No one deleted your arguments. Discussion and critique addressed your points, referenced exactly why you were wrong, and that's it. The issue with Jamie's group that we're bringing up, is that Jamie actively hides comments that disagree with the policy of rubber stamp approve everything they can to get as many PokéStops as possible. That if anyone tries to reference why something should be rejected, or debate anything that would result in fewer poker stops they will delete your comments and ban you If you don't fall into line with their rubber stamp policy to accept everything.

You were muted, and a single comment was deleted however for trolling and being overly aggressive. You were even flinging personal insults and attacks. You'll notice that if you check the notification for your mute reason. And if you're really not Chris, you also would have seen the comments that I made on the post announcing exactly why he received a mute. We received a report and decided that it violated our rule two, but your post as a whole remained.

edited February 2020

Sorry my name is Hoffenheim on the forums. It is not Chris, please address me correctly. Yes the guy Chris was on facebook, in the discussion. I am just sharing what I saw first hand on a Facebook page from notifications that came through today on my Facebook notifications. A 106 comment thread where multiple people engaged to attack a person and the admin muted one person instead of everyone that was wrong. The admin even said others were okay when they were wrong from the beginning. There was mention of abusing wayfarer and people potentially rejecting submissions on purpose for submissions people think are his. I suggest Niantic looks into all of it. Because if submissions are being rejected on purpose for valid things just because of a person others disagree with, than Wayfarer needs some software to detect when people are rejecting things that are valid or an appeal process should occur as a result. Reviewers are abusing the system easier than submitters and it shouldn't go unnoticed.

• ForteForte ✭✭
    edited February 2020

🙄 Not that it's worth arguing with you anymore _hoffenheim_ but I know for a fact that's you.

For any one else, I implore any onlookers to see for themselves. You would have linked to it, but you knew how bad it made you look.

edited February 2020

The facts are he posted something, when doesn't that guy "Chris" share something somewhere between Reddit and Facebook? Okay. That is good for him. Just because he might have an ingress account? Or an old submission finally got rejected doesn't mean it is me.. Sorry bud, but you got the wrong person. He shares nianticcasey posts as well, are you saying they are the same person as well? Someone even mentioned that he has direct access to Niantic on that Facebook forum discussion today. If he has direct access to Niantic, he is doing better than me. I can't even get a simple question answered timely on here.

I just wanted to point out that Niantic needs to look into things on your page too, since your people did bring up issues with other Facebook Pages. If there is people rejecting submissions because of disagreements with people, they should look into rejections or chime in on an issue that is having people in a heated debate over a nomination idea. If people are cheating then Niantic should be aware of it as well.

I am not disagreeing that the submission "Chris" is bringing up is a low quality submission based on the photo, maybe at best a 3star for me for being "unsure" is what I typically would vote on these, but low quality submissions can still be approved. If Niantic deems them acceptable or provides more clarity on the issue, that helps all of the communities as a whole and not just that one person.