Bring back "Seer" medal!

Some Ingress players would like a little more motivation to create new portals, now, I know that it was removed from the game previously but it would be nice to see this medal again and know you are contributing for the portal network.

Comments

• Isn't the reason the Seer medal was removed BECAUSE it motivated submissions too much? Like, it would cause people to try and submit inane non-candidate Portals and flood the OPR for the sake of getting the medal and not enriching the local game-map?

• ProfessorBowlProfessorBowl ✭✭
    edited June 2019

Yes!!!

• People are now reviewing on OPR for agreements to get that medal... same end result, poor database of portals. At least the submissions are rate-limited now. I think Seer should come back. I might even try to play on Prime if it did.

• JuXasJuXas ✭✭

My idea how seer could be successfully enabled:

It could be event (possibly even a storyline based) that new item or randomly (the force from other side of portals) could seal (close, remove the existing portal). That could be as a temporary event for a beginning. Existing agents could resubmit the portal if they would notice it is missing and in OPR agents would work towards to re-approve or not. That would be a really good portal cleanup, would make everyone busy, and everyone's medals ticking.

If the idea of removing it straight away is not acceptable:

Portals could be "destabilised" and with new item or just existing function like Glyph hack ammount in day (or several consequtive days it would stabilise it). Failed to stabilise it in a week or so would remove the portal.

Interested of other's opinions 🤔👍

P. S. I got several other ideas (motives) of how to make bringing this medal back to work.

• A3exA3ex ✭✭

I do not have Seer metal, but I understand what feel ingresses, who has low-level (like copper) seer and can not improve it.

My suggestion is that the good idea to enable counter only for people, who has seer to keep possibility to improve it.

But it is not a good idea to open it for all player, because quality of new portal is not well.

• ChopStiRChopStiR ✭✭✭

I disagree JuXas. Many portals are Remote/Rural that you only see when you go on a holiday for example. Loosing those portals would be a major loss to the game.

Perhaps the seer medal could apply to edits and reporting of invalid portals.

This would help with the clean up of bad portals.

• Couldn't agree more. Please bring it back!

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it should come back, i got stuck on 8 portals before portals stopped working due to so many submissions sent.. now 3 years later i have got up to 53 it would been nice get a medal for all playgrounds, theaters etc i have submitted and approved thanks to opr..

• Yes for seer!

• PigletPiglet ✭✭

Yesss, please do it!

• ElszuElszu ✭✭

Bring seer back 😉

• Mernie9Mernie9 ✭✭✭

Another yes vote. It's possible that SEER was established to build out portals at a time desperately needed. And it's not so needed these days. Not to mention, that it's close to impossible to get Onyx. I'd like to see the thresholds changed.

• JohnTheAussieJohnTheAussie ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

I think the Onyx threshold is way out of league with the 14 submission limit a fortnight. But having it at a high number say, 1331? ...encourage people to travel and explore more. With the OPR system in place less likely for people to submit poor quality portals. Which also means a constant steady supply of (hopefully) quality submissions for years from a lot of current agents and new,

Though would this be fair to players who put in all the effort and hard work and accomplished Onyx? It would also see many old players instantly reaching Onyx (which isn't a bad thing though).

Maybe a new badge should be considered? Maybe people will get the badge and stop submitting anything? There seems to be a lot more to consithen just "Bring back the Seer badge"

The old Seer badge threshold was 5,000

(I started after submissions were canned.... and I would have just hit gold by now)

1331 for Onyx at 14 submissions per fortnight would take approximately 3.65 years which ends up as 1,332 days(minimum), the day after recursion, which I think isn't a coincidence Niantic should pass up.

• I'm sorry for the duplication... these weren't posting even after refreshing

• MajeyeMajeye ✭✭✭

Seer is still live in the form of OPR agreements. I feel this is a better implementation than the old Seer system, having that said, I hope the old seer system stays dead and doesn't make a return.

OPR is full of poor portal submissions that are vote-limited by their peers, as you gain more accepted portals as you progress through OPR, you gain ticks on your medal (and you don't even have to leave home, which is amazing as it gives you something to do while you watch TV on your couch)

Attached a screenshot of the OPR (Recon) medal so you can see what it looks like. (For those that don't or haven't done OPR, or aren't high enough level to do it yet)

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say reduce Black Badge to 500 and give any player that had black badge (5000) already a special one time only Diamond Badge.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm on 2 years submitting now and barely would have got gold (220). If this medalwas still working I would probably never get onyx! 3 more years to Platinum, and a decade for each thousand. OMG!

I agree with you. 1331 for onyx is a perfect number.

• We got Sooo Many BAD portals due to the Seer badge. It also shouldn't matter if a portal gets approved or not. In my area we are getting WAY to many bad portals. Somehow we got a Fisher Price slide in an agents back yard approved as a "park" portal. Under that idea they would still get credit for that.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

"A seer is someone who can see the future. Nostradamus is considered a seer because he predicted everything from the Great Fire of London to the French ..."

So, I think the seer badge should stay retired. The seer "portals" were portals that were added before we added portals the way we currently do.

Move on :)

• EsquilimEsquilim ✭✭✭

I would even say, bring back a "seer clone"

Keep seer as a OG badge, and introduce a new badge with the same objective (but maybe not count to leveling to avoid spam submissions?)

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

There are loads of stats that don't have a badge, and I think portals discovered should not have any badge in game. The portal network is huge, and of course new gems are added daily, but the badge would give it a competitive angle, which is not the point of discovering portals and would have a negative impact on OPR and player relations.

• Now we have limited submitions i don't see any "danger" in bring seer medal back. The reason it was discontinued was people sending 150 trash at home a day in a desperate attempt to get a couch portal. Something that, if not controlled by OPR, is limited by the number of submitions.

• daethnirdaethnir ✭✭✭

Tax things you don't like, reward things you do like.

Ingress doesn't want more portals, it wants high quality portals.

The desire to post crappy portals in hopes some slip through is the result of the reward of a badge. The rate limiting is the closest thing to a tax, in that you can't do unreasonable quantities.

So based on that, you'd think I'd be for bringing back seer, but it was such a disaster I think I just want it to stay buried.

You don't need a badge for crappy portal submissions when people wanting more and more and more pokestops and gyms are trying to get every little thing passed through because they're are gaming how gyms are created. A badge for seer would at least reward actual ingress players trying to get legit portals.

I kind of loved the competitive angle of finding a new place and submitting portals there before anyone else. It awakened an exploration bug in me. Of course some of the locals I were competing against would come along and submit portals for things I never considered. Also i'd have gold Seer if I hadn't had so many duplicates because I was late to a place. I never did try to game it by submitting every taco Bell and long John silvers drive thru I could find like I know one agent did.