Why no Requiem Decode?

MadReliqueMadRelique ✭✭✭
edited February 2020 in Anomalies

@NianticBrian is there a reason why this anomaly is not going to have off site anomaly decode challenges?

I as well as many (outside recharge range and unable to take a week+ off to travel) were hoping for a means of participating in this anomaly. The decode element from Umbra was a ideal method, and it is saddening to see how we were just given one event anomaly without a method of participating at all.

Comments

• Thanks for holding an Anomaly Event for us. Can't wait to participate and see all the faces in Europe again!

• I see it like the Passage to Osiris badge, elite for those willing and able to travel. I'd be disappointed if everyone could get the badge from their home town, it isn't a small thing making arrangements to attend from central US. Maybe a lesser, different color badge can be made available for those that can't attend and are willing to participate off site?

• World is cruel place, individuals do not always get what they want...live with that 😁

• Don't worry folks, in sure at some point you'll be able to just buy the badge. Seems to be the direction they're going anyway.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

So you want to make Ingress more profitable. You ramp up community participation with a bunch of decoding challenges, yet you don't do a decoding challenge for the single anomaly held this year?

This one just sounds like a simple thing to do. (or should be)

• NineBerryNineBerry ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not the single anomaly this year. There can be other ones after May.

• It's the only one with the Requiem badge, that's the problem

There could be...but we don't know. They've had them in the past. I've attended anomalies in Feb in both Atlanta, GA and in Milwaukee, WI.

Nothing from those over on the Ingress team. I'd normally ping the community manager but...well...yeah.

But if there is nothing on the horizon to keep agents engaged, we are going to see active agent numbers drop yet again. With drops of agent activity, it will be harder and harder to get agents to show up at a future anomaly if we even have one after May.

Unless of course, you know something we don't know?

The event announcement was explicitly limited to "January to May 2020". Events after May 2020 will be announced separately.

• There was no anomaly in the first half of 2018. The first anomaly of 2018 was at the end of July, nearly eight months after the last one in 2017.
    • There was no anomaly in the first half of 2017. The first anomaly of 2017 was at the end of August, more than nine months after the last one in 2016.

So, it's not unusual that anomalies happen only in the second half of a year.

I do agree that having only one anomaly in a series at one place, it would be great to have a way for people all over the globe to participate off-site and be able to earn the anomaly badge.

Based on Data from past few years, they haven't and people have complained about it each year. Prior to 2016 they had them in the first half of the year multiple times.

Previous Anomalies

Heck, the first one was in Jan of 2013 at Cahokia Mounds (in IL, near St Louis, MO) which was sadly before my time in Ingress.

But back to the original thing. They've post their weekly decoding stuff, and have gotten people interested. If they don't have a decoding event for offsite participation for the Anomaly in May, they are only sh o o ting their selves in the foot. Agents want it, hopefully someone over on the Ingress team notices. Maybe @ace would be kind enough to point it out to the team?

• I'll leave my 2 cents as well, this is super disappointing not only because 95%of the world can't join the anomaly in any way, but because there's only one anomaly to begin with. I was really mad at the last megaanomaly despite living in Chicago, and I see that they didn't take any suggestions.

Longtime player here, this might be it for me if this continues

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's think about this. Since there is only one anomaly in May, what would be the impact (e.g. on server upkeep or on faction gameplay co-ordination) if every agent outside Europe decided to register as a decoder for the same event? Seems to me like it would be a logistical nightmare, but maybe I'm wrong. Convince me. :-)

How about having connected cells? Everyone who registers for off-site and does a certain number of actions in one of those cells gets the badge. And MU score in those cells counts as part of the anomaly result.

No worse than the current decoder challenge. That is, if they can manage to keep the Intel map running.

Which again, uses POC's. I loved connected cells. But if Niantic doesn't want to use POC's, then it would be hard to determine who helped, who didn't, ect. Some agents might only perform one action (out of the way blocker) during the connected cell op time. Only way around that, would be to just give everyone in that cell the badge, but that would be like the Sharts Badge we all got from being active during that specified time. And I'm sure someone will cry over that.

Can't really use the MU scores from the cells, it would just be a point for one faction or the other. MU isn't the same across the world. You would only have to win your cell. MU scores could be posted, but not be part of the actual scoring itself.

There's no need for POCs for connected cells. Just require a specific set of actions. Like make 100k AP or create 10 links or something like that. If recharging one anomaly portal is enough to get the badge for rechargers, then something like that would certainly be enough for connected cells.

Umm, so if you field over the area, how will you make 10 links? Not everyone in a fielding op gets to throw. 100k AP? For some that's nothing, for most agents, that's fairly high. Some don't even hit it during FS! If you get to be that lucky agent or agents who have to travel several hours one way to clear links for an op...limits the amount of time you might be able to play. Just stating there doesn't seem to be a really good way to do this without a POC or making people upset.

I just posted some random numbers

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

No worse than the current decoder challenge. That is, if they can manage to keep the Intel map running.

The current decoder challenge is every-man-for-himself and not time limited. The Anomaly decode is supposed to be a team effort in a specific time window. (It does no good for the team to have a thousand people decode the first challenge and no one decode the tenth, for example - and for each challenge, one decode is enough.) This is what I mean by faction gameplay co-ordination.

Only way around that, would be to just give everyone in that cell the badge

Only people who had applied for an offsite-participation ticket. That alone would avoid the "you gave me this badge I didn't want" crybabies.