Gifting System in place of Digital code packs
Let me start this topic by saying i understand why Niantic stopped doing the digital code packs and codes on cards. Ebay is filled with perfect examples on it. I am not arguing that wasn't a problem and still is.
The problem is, is by making purchases account bound and pushing badges and gear immediately, it has made it impossible for those like myself to run free give-a-way events that use to gift these codes to other agents.
Yes, there are people out there that run give-a-way events. When i was an embedded reporter i brought attention to events by putting codes in pictures i was posting. Ive used codes as ways to bring peoples attention to give-a-way events i ran on gplus, for the glyph journal birthdays and mine yearly. I've given away character and gear codes on official live streams, ifs events, dead drops, and gifted them to other groups for their own give-a-way events. I bought multiple packs every single anomaly not to sell my codes but to give them away and i have so many agents that got their first code from the events ive run and i am not the only agent thats done this. There are also many other agents that have used the codes as IFS rewards, anomaly after party give-a-ways, dead drops, birthday presents, etc. And none of us can do that anymore.
I know people are going to argue on this post about using other things but let me give you some reasons why coded card, gear load outs, and character cards have been perfect for give-a-way events.
- Official gear from Niantic pulls more people into a give-a-way event. Like it or not, but official gear catches a lot more attention and in some of my first events the biggest reason people said they didnt participate in them was because all of the stuff i was giving out was fan made items. Not to say there isnt some amazing swag out there that i absolutely love, but sadly i can't force all agents to love them and unofficial swag isnt appreciated or desired by everyone.
- Yes, we could use other swag like patches, stickers, etc but have you dealt with the cost of running an event where you have to send swag to agents? My first major, online, give-a-way event for ingress on gplus cost me over $200 in shipping just stickers and patches for only a handful of people.... Being able to purchase multiple gear load outs, digital packs, character codes/cards were much cheaper to deal with thus allowed us to run more give-a-way events.
- There is no other small merchandise being sold in the Niantic swag store for us to be able to give-a-way and unless you had a mule, you can't always get official event gear. The digital packs were perfect for us off site.
- Coded cards, load outs, digital packs allowed us to give rewards instantly instead of having to wait weeks to months to see if our participants got their rewards on time. Thus more people became involved in these player run events.
- Being able to purchase these allowed us to run not just local or country events, but global events because the rewards could be given to anyone, anywhere. I've given codes to people who have never had an anomaly near them and could never afford to go to one and to see the happiness and excitement when they redeemed the code is beyond amazing.
So i am asking for Niantic to please consider a gifting system. Allow those of us who weren't abusing this system to be able to purchase multiple packs again to run our give-a-way events. If digital packs can't be given in email again why not consider a gift system with a limited number of times some one can purchase the codes? Even if im allowed to buy and hold one extra code on my account that i could give-a-way, id take it, though i would prefer at least to be able to buy two extras. I know im asking a lot, i know that it requires a new system and you are trying to fight off the people that were selling codes but there are agents out here that would gladly buy multiple packs if given the option that arnt going to sell the codes.