Scrolling through portal keys is visually confusing (read as: buggy)

Device: Pixel 4

App Version: 2.37.3

So, I have some portal keys in my inventory, and I occasionally scroll through them all looking for portals to recharge. This does not work as well as I would expect:

Prime sat like this for multiple seconds, long enough for me to pause, ponder what was happening, and take the screenshot. I’m near the end of my list of keys, so the blank space at the top should be populated with more keys. The one key that is visible is actually being shown twice.

With a little fiddling and scrolling, I can get the display to update and correct itself, only to be faced with similarly wonky behavior later on in the list. It’s as if Prime knows I have X keys in my inventory, and thus how long/tall the list needs to be, but it’s keeping only a small fraction of the keys’ visuals loaded at any given time — which would be fine if it properly maintained the illusion of scrolling through a fully loaded list.

Tagged:

Comments

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same thing happens on my Samsung Galaxy S10.

Other issues I found with scrolling through portal keys:

• Organising keys alphabetically, doesn't always sort them alphabetically. Random keys will be out of place (like something starting with "S" appearing between "A" and "B")
    • When scrolling through keys there is a noticeable delay between scrolling and seeing the health status of each key. Often the delay is long enough that you may accidentally go past a key that needs recharging.

Ages ago there were requests to be able to sort by health or faction. Krug said in an AMA that it was impossible, however since then data miners verified that the status and details of all keys is pulled at the time that the key is accessed. Meaning that the health and faction and other details are all available as soon as a key is brought into view or pulled from a capsule. It would be great to be able to sort by health, as those are generally priority keys that need recharging first.

• The same thing happens on my Moto Z2 Force.

• I've even recharged the wrong key because the display updated to show the correct extra keys as I selected one.

• Same here on my S10+. It's the sort of thing that would be reported in our bug database at work as "It's bleeped, scroll through it and you'll see", which is pretty accurate IMHO.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here, with xiaomi. I thought it was due my slow data, but it really just start in the current version.

• thesolothesolo ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally useless and broken. I manage my keys now by loading them into a capsule and recycling that, because this menu is slow, buggy, and often broken.

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

This is still an issue in 2.39.3.

I continue to encounter situations where the portal keys, instead of smoothly scrolling by, seem to have their locations in the list updated in-place with completely different keys, which is jarring and visually confusing.

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

This seems to be closely related to the portals not being in alphabetical order. When you load the game and select Name order, they'll scroll perfectly smoothly and be in the correct order; then at some point something in the game will 'ping' and you get both the scrolling bug and the out-of-order portals.

• DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

Keys auto-upload photos each time(why not just cache or even disable them via kinda' advanced settings).

Keys are buggy if your location changes (can be solved in alphabetical order,but why it should be enabled each app start)(and sometimes if key carousel isn't all loaded - alphabetical order works odd).

Also it's way harder to operate key lockers 'cos of diffirent position in key carousels.

And about recharging - sometimes it loads map outside not the targeted Portal (annoying thing which takes 3-5 sec for my phone or even up to 10 sec for my gf's - so sometimes can't defend).

As for me,i use up to 90 cubes each day even without defence,so ofc this is major bugs for me. Redacted inventory was much more effective but we can't have horisontal keys now without breaking all new system.